Getting started Kayak fishing in the Waikato

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Red Leader
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Nemo 2+1
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8682

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi all,

Been lurking in the background reading this forum for a while, so thought it was time I said Hi.

Recently inherited my Dad's fishing Kayak and I am now looking at trying to catch some fish from it. I've set myself up to use soft baits but it's not something I am familiar with so going to be a bit of learning to do. Also, only been living in the Waikato a couple of years, so not familiar with good fishing spots nearby, but have been reading up about potential options. Previously most of my fishing has been land based off rocks/beaches with the odd trip out on friends boats (but that was back in the Naki).

Had a test run launching the Kayak off Kereta last Thursday morning and tied up at the Mussel farm. The wind was starting to pick up and a chop was building, so only stayed there maybe 45min. Didn't catch anything, in fact no bites even. There was a boat tied up a couple of rows away and they didn't look like they were having much action either. Not too worried as the main purpose of the trip was just to make sure I could head out & back without any major disasters - which I was successful in achieving :)

In your guys opinions, where in the Firth would I be best to head to work on my soft baiting skills and hopefully catch some fish this time of year? Where to launch? and where to fish, etc? I see on the forum here people seem to have quite a bit of success at the Mussel farms north of Kaiaua? I have also been told that the mussel farms have been hard work lately and that drifting across the south end in 4m of water in front of Thames is better. Or should I head back to Kereta and try drifting along by Wilson's Bay? Are there any options for using soft baits over in the Tauranga harbour, e.g. up by Bowentown? or is the current through there better suited to using bait with a decent weight attached? (I mention Bowentown only because I've fished from the rocks around there before while staying there at the camp ground with the wife & kids over summer, so I know it better than most places around here).

Hopefully I can be nudged in the right direction.

Cheers
Andrew

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the Forum.
Personally I wouldn't go as far as the Farms...... Have tried in the past with small or no success.
Kerata to Wilsons has some good worm beds, do a few long drifts along there anything from 6-18 metres.
There are a few good fish been caught just north of Wilsons too.

Orere point has proven a popular spot for a feed and similar travel time.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

BFIST

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 am

I've fished at Kaiaua once at did reasonably well on softies. The key was to not tie up to the farms but drift around the outside of them

If you are set on fishing softbait, make sure you have a good drogue and always drift around. If fishing on sand/mud and have 2 setups flick one out the back with a heavier jig head and let it drag along the bottom while casting forward with your other rod. Some days one method proves more successful than the other.

Smitty
Kayak Model: Profish

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Andrew,

Also keep an eye on the Waikato Kayak Fishing Club forum for any events we have on, great way to learn is to go fishing with some others and your more than welcome to tag along to our events and/or come to our meetings. Weather permitting we will be heading to Kaiaua this Saturday.

Cheers
Smitty

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Kereta can fish very well at times, Like Waikatoyakka said no need to head out the farms, personally I have never had any great success out there... I have caught some nice fish drifting between Kereta and Wilsons bay, there is a drop off not too from the launching ramp good tides you can clearly see the good current lines, I have anchored in there using soft baits and had some good success, but heave them well out to your side, re cast when you can see them rising up out the back...

Rockcod Brother
Kayak Model: PF400

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Give Bowentown a miss mate. Not a very yak friendly spot with the currents, especially when you're new to the sport.
The main Waihi Beach is all good though.. From the main surfclub end and around to Orakawa etc
Custom Profish 400 lite
PB: Snapper 19.2lb

Red Leader

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks guys, some good tips there. Will see how the weather plays out over the next while and decide where to from there.
ZMU8682

fr00ty
Kayak Make: Vikings
Kayak Model: profish400

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Hey Andrew,

I'm a newbie to the soft baiting seen and kayak fishing for that fact and i just live down the road from you in Te Aroha and always looking for someone to go out with, usually fish Thames or go up further, so if your keen just give me a buzz

cheers Ricco

Red Leader

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 am

Hi Ricco

Yep would be keen to team up at some stage. My trips tend to be a bit sporadic as fit them in when I can around family/ work/ weather etc., so not always a lot of notice. After 4 trips out since starting kayak fishing, my rate of fishing success is still fairly low. Only averaging half a fish per trip So hoping to improve on that.

Actually went out from Wilsons Bay on Labour day and caught naught. Think I was in the wrong place (too shallow/ close to the shore). Having a friend would hopefully double the chances of finding where the fish are...

Send me a pm if you are thinking of heading out and I'll do likewise.
ZMU8682

fr00ty
Kayak Make: Vikings
Kayak Model: profish400

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Hey mate yeah I went from Wilsons up to dead mans gotta few fish but was using bait and Berley, am going to the Rob fort event up in Papaaroha this weekend so could catch up with you there and sort a trip out? Going up there with a mate that is familiar with soft baiting so he's gonna teach me a bit about it up there, but yeah still only been out once with not much success but bloody loved it

Cheers :beer:

• Information