Looking at buying a prowler ultra 4.3

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Bendit
Kayak Make: Green Prowler
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi guys just joined .......

I'm looking at buying a Prowler 4.3 ultra ???
plus getting it decked out to go for a fish

Any suggestions, hints, advice you could swing my way on what gear to get would be great.

Cheers
Kyle

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Go see Rob Fort and have a go in the new Trident. He will fit it out for you as well. Very impressed with it and it is very fast.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:48 am

Trident ultra 4.3 and prowler ultra 4.3 are the same yak are they not ? Was it not just a name change, or was the hull design changed ? If changed what was the improvement ?

Could Robs speed factor be in his technique or paddle ?....

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:01 pm

HookiT wrote:Trident ultra 4.3 and prowler ultra 4.3 are the same yak are they not ? Was it not just a name change, or was the hull design changed ? If changed what was the improvement ?

Could Robs speed factor be in his technique or paddle ?....

Have just come back from the Cameron Sports who are now the importer for the OK range ...

A couple of things have changed...

The comfort seat has been dropped completely in favour of a "more standard style" clip in seat....

The seating area has been raised slightly and there is a bit more support under the backs of your thighs ...

They have removed the rear rod holders directly behind the seat..

There is now 1 (or 2?) small recesses between your mid thigh and the side of the yak so you can place small gear boxes...

There has also been a change in the type of plastic used..

.... and a name change :lol:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

HookiT

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks for that Hainsey. So a few minor things on the deck have been changed, and the name, but not what sits in the water .. :)

HookiT

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Bendit sorry to of hijacked/ taken your post off it's track. Those that have the Ultra may give you the pro's and cons. Like all others before you have been told, try and take a few yaks for a paddle. Once you get into the fishing side you may find you spend a few hours in the saddle so you do need to make sure the yak fits your purpose.

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Bendit wrote:Hi guys just joined .......

I'm looking at buying a Prowler 4.3 ultra ???
plus getting it decked out to go for a fish

Any suggestions, hints, advice you could swing my way on what gear to get would be great.

Cheers
Kyle
For you in Wellington Bendit you could go see Fergs on the waterfront. You should be able to try before you buy.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 pm

I have been paddling the new Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3 for many weeks now and these are the noticeable changes from its predecessor the Prowler Ultra 4.3
• New seating configuration that places the user in a higher position which results in a dryer more comfortable ride plus much better leg positioning as the feet are now below the seat height.
• Small integrated recess areas on either side of the leg area in front of the seat base allow small container storage using the included bungee that is attached to the deck.
• The rudder track and peddle system has changed with the most noticeable area the larger peddle profile which is a lot more comfortable against the sole of the feet.
• Rod holders previously located behind the seat area removed.
• The four inch hatch located on the rear well’s front side wall is no longer included also.
• Single rear scupper hole within the rear well area removed resulting in less drag on the water.
• Looking below deck at the kayaks hull a slight change to the bow (nose) shape which is flared wider providing better lift.
• Improved plastic making the kayak much more rigid with no soft spots anywhere and no noticeable flexing overall. This also offers a nicer hull shape will no indents or ripples.
• 2kgs Lighter.
• Inserts not utilised with fittings have black anodised stainless bolts in them instead of just insert which is open to salt corrosion.
Performance
• Slight improvement in stability
• Increase in overall speed
• Greater ability to climb over chop and swells
I have tested the Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3 in conditions most wouldn’t consider when fishing and spearfishing.
I was impressed so much when testing that I refused to give the kayak back. A full review will follow later and the kayak will be at the forum meet up at Papa Aroha for those wanting to have a closer look.

Perhaps ask to try both the Prowler 4.3 and the Trident 4.3
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

HookiT

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:23 pm

:y: Good stuff Rob. So you are saying the extra speed is coming from the rigidity and 'slight widening' of the bow ? For the rest is deck improvements.

Kayak Rob
Kayak Make: Old Town & Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Predator PDL, Trident 15
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rob or ZMS6165

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 am

HookiT wrote::y: Good stuff Rob. So you are saying the extra speed is coming from the rigidity and 'slight widening' of the bow ? For the rest is deck improvements.
Scupper holes cause drag also so removing one will directly influence the kayaks gliding ability.
Kayak fishing is life

Rob Fort
NZ Kayak Fishing
Award winning video: https://www.youtube.com/user/NZkayakfishing
http://www.yakfishnz.com
Rob Fort Series http://robfortseries.co.nz/

Old Town, Ocean Kayak & Humminbird Pro Team member, supported by: Sharkskin, Maxel, Jigstar, Gamakatsu, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Salt A-Way, NZ Bay Fisher, Neptune, Pelaj, Railblaza, Zest

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:42 am

That's some serious improvement to the 4.3 . I was impressed enough with the older version this just sounds cool to the max . If I wasn't launching in surf and still paddling plastic this would be my boat of choice . They are just so good in rough water it's unbelievable

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:53 am

Looks good, but I hope the "upgraded" seat is still an option. It's the only kayak seat that has ever worked for me.

Snap 4T
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:Looks good, but I hope the "upgraded" seat is still an option. It's the only kayak seat that has ever worked for me.
Im sure with abit of DIY you can move ultra upgraded seat to trident

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:32 pm

I use the 4.3 foam seat in my 400 :P
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:19 pm

I was really interested to read Rob's report here.

I found the Prowler 4.3 Ultra, in comparison with my 4.5 Elite, to be wet, slow and uncomfortable. (So much so, I swapped it for a new 4.5E). Looks like the manufacturer is addressing all 3 issues.

Yukikaze
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.1/4.3

Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 pm

PJay wrote:I was really interested to read Rob's report here.

I found the Prowler 4.3 Ultra, in comparison with my 4.5 Elite, to be wet, slow and uncomfortable. (So much so, I swapped it for a new 4.5E). Looks like the manufacturer is addressing all 3 issues.
Funny- I actually prefer my old Prowler 13, to my new 4.1 ultra too.
The Ultra 4.1 is cool don't get me wrong, it has all the new features, better colours and plastic probably but my Prowler 13 has a 20mm wider cockpit measured from outside to outside being about 730-40 ish wide, and is about 3kg lighter.
I wouldnt say they are slow or uncomfortable, I was so excited the first time I forgot to put the seat in when I went out fishing- but it was still comfortable as.
The 4.5 will be a lil faster with its superior water line, and narrower hull.
PROWLER 4.1 "YUKIKAZE"
TRIDENT 4.3 "SUZUKAZE"

• Information