warm gear

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
pauld
Kayak Make: Mission
Kayak Model: Catch 290

I'm Paul from Waikanae, Kapiti. I'm new 101 to kayak fishing and fishing in general though have done a fair amount of surf kayaking. The amount of fish I've caught in the sea can be counted on one hand! . I don't get much chance to get out fishing with looking after kids and work etc, so I can't be too choosy about the conditions I go out in. So what gear do people recommend to keep warm on the cooler rainy and windy days? Options I've thought about are a good insulated life jacket or a wetsuit - especially for winter. What thickness wetsuit? Probably will look at a combination of wetsuit and lifejacket when going out a bit further.
Is there a model of lifejacket which gives good all around insulation for the torso?
ps I just got myself a Mission Catch 290 Kayak - largely because I liked the Mission Flow surf canoe which is the same thing except didn't have the fishing fixtures. That one got claimed by my ex...
When I had the Flow, I used it to take a long line out once or twice, but didn't catch anything - probably doing lots wrong!
Looking forward to catching some snapper!
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Hi Paul,

I normally go with a splash jacket and thermals underneath, but I mostly fish around Auckland where it's a bit warmer. Good booties will help keep your feet warm too. Wetsuits can be quite hard because they can be restrictive across the shoulders for paddling and can chafe, but whatever works for you really. I find my PFD provides good insulation too.

The Mission 290 is quite short for a fishing kayak, but again, if it works, it works.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
pauld
Kayak Make: Mission
Kayak Model: Catch 290

Yes, the Mission 290 is quite short - has it's advantages and disadvantages. Some advantages are that it's easy to load/unload on the car, easy for one person to carry, can turn on a dime quickly, good getting through some big surf and surfing which is what it was originally built for, is very stable. Some disadvantages (not that I know other fishing kayaks to compare) is that because it's shorter, it has less flotation for a 110kg person like me so sits lower in the water hence water comes in from drain holes so that I'm sitting in water most of the time. That's never bothered me before when I was doing mostly surf kayaking where water's coming over the top most of the time, but I imagine if I want to spend prolonged periods fishing, it may become uncomfortable.
Any other disadvantages in being shorter?