Good camp sites , northland and eastern B O P

Introduce yourself and may be find a fishing buddy or two...
Brentonjohn
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Pro fish 4.3

Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am

Hi , my step son and I are planning a fishing trip the week of queens birthday . We 'll be taking a pop top trailer camper and 2 kayaks . We are tossing up between Whangarei / Northland and Cape Runaway area . We think we will decide closer to the time when we can see what the weather may be doing . We'd like to camp close to the water hopefully somewhere reasonably secure as the pop top can't really be locked up when in use . We've stayed at Maraehako bay before and Blue heron camp near Whangarei . Can anyone give us advice on other options of where to camp ? Any other tips on fishing these areas , of course we want to get a big one . Thanks Brenton

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Wed May 22, 2019 11:47 am

Hello! Good question.

I've been going to Matauri Bay (Cavalli Islands) for a couple of years now and it's absolutely magical. Campground right on the beach, campground very well set up, not far to paddle to the islands which have a whole host of different options, and the Cavalli Islands are famous for their fishing. This place would definitely tick all your boxes.

The other place I have stayed at and fished at is Bland Bay (not as bad as it sounds!). Again, looks great, I got a few good fish both times I've fished it, and the campground is right on the waterfront.

Will be interested to see what others say too!

Cheers.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 pm

My two picks in the Far North would be Matauri or Whatuwhiwhi Top Ten in Doubtless Bay.
Matauri, as Matwould says, is 20min paddle to the Cavallis, and there is excellent fishing there with snapper that are angry enough to eat Kingy live baits, but isn't favourable to easterly quarter winds

Whatuwhiwhi has been base to many Yak fishing gatherings, and is well appointed for such activites. The peninsula offers sheltered fishing from most quarters (bear in mind though that Maitai Bay itself is currently under a Rahui, please respect this). Doubtless and Rangaunu harbour are home to large ocean-going Kahawai and XOS Trevs.

Otherwise, if you're keen to go completely savage and sleep out under canvas at the DoC campsite (booking may still be required at this time of year)at Cable Bay on Urupukapuka Island. Only a 20-30 minute paddle from Rawhiti (secure car parking available at Rawhiti for $5/night - old info, pay to check, cash only)
Rawhiti.JPG
Rawhiti.JPG (44.92 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Brentonjohn
Kayak Model: Pro fish 4.3

Wed May 29, 2019 7:41 am

Thanks , we are still looking at forecasts but Matauri bay is looking good if the forecast westerly happens

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 pm

If you do MB, watch the channel to the Cavs - it can pick up mean with a NW. I've often come back with a 1.5m side-cresting chop on peak tide through there (in a sit in)
And if you get caught, please don't be afraid to sit it out on Motukawanui until it eases rather than slug it out.

The scenery may not be as glamorous, but there's a few kings in Whangaroa at the moment and always jackmack livies available around Peach Is.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information