The Toots Kingi Bash

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri May 29, 2009 6:06 pm

I'll just put a summary up, and the others can chip in when they get back online :D

The predawn was still and clear, but not too nippy, as I met up with Mental and New2Yaking at Pacific Bay in Tutukaka Harbour. Didn't take long before we were on the beach for final preflights, and away into the sunrise...
lit up.JPG
lit up.JPG (337.72 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Mental heading towards the entrance
heading out.JPG
heading out.JPG (309.77 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Unfortunately, the forecast swell was a tad bigger than expected, and although not rough, the reflection off the cliffs made it too dicey to have a serious attempt at the intended quarry with the occasional big roller cruising through - not the sort of thing you want to find barrelling down on you as you negotiate the wash :shock:
KAbooosh.png
KAbooosh.png (439.23 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
The washing machine was a little too much for N2Y, and he opted to stay in the harbour area, whilst Mental and I headed off towards our possie, a nice pin that regularly holds kings.

...They were probably there today as well, just that we couldn't get within about 30m of it without turning into flotsam. So we turned our sights to good old trusty Snaps (although I spent a fair bit of time dragging various plastic articles along the edge of the aerated water in the hope that something was that far away from the reef - they weren't) and apart from a couple of throwback snaps averaging about 6lb, I came home empty handed. I couldn't have kept them anyway as I was banking on picking up some salt ice at one of the service stations in Whangarei on my way through - NOTE: NONE of the eight service stations that were open at 0500 in Whangarei stock salt ice. I won't make that mistake again! :oops:

With fishing being fairly slow (possibly due to the small pod of young female Orcinus orca that appeared between Mental and myself - and just as quickly disappeared - leaving me doubting if I had actually seen them :? ) I took a bit of time out to tease a small hammerhead with a pink shine, he wasn't playing though (spoilsport :evil: ) and carried on cruising south.

So in the end, we drifted back down towards Toots, and met up with N2Y again for a quick bash around the entrance reef, but not too much was happening there and we pulled the pin about 1300Hrs

Oh, there were a couple of breakfasts spilt, and other fish caught, but I'll let the others tell that tale :mrgreen:
teaser1.JPG
teaser1.JPG (40.34 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
A great morning, just a shame we couldn't get serious with the torpedos....Next time maybe ;)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

sean

Fri May 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Nice report,
pitty no kingies to dispay,,,,aaarrrrr....nothing to do with the spilt breakfast i hope...
beter luck next time boys.

yakman
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 pm

What sort of a photo is that :?

Nice report ;)
"Oh it's on...it's on like donkey kong"

ozone

Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 pm

sucks about the swell that looks like a nice snapper jaw though!

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Patience children...The truth behind the crappy photo will soon become apparent :mrgreen:

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

yakman

Fri May 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Hurry up, going to bed soon and I won't be able to sleep :lol:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri May 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Ok here we go... The report you have all been waiting for... :shock:

So the trip had been in the making for sooooooo long and we had a small window in the weather for Friday May 29th, the "who's available?" call goes out, Hairy Little Dwarf, New2Yaking, and Mental step up to the mark...

Here's my version of the events of The Toots Kingi Bash...

Thursday May 28th
So get home from work, pack the car full of all that gear I've been preparing all week, live bait rigs, poppers, jigs, rapala, various giant plastic baits, all my Kingi bases were covered! And on top of all that I threw in a few soft bait bits and pieces to throw around while the live baits bobbing around under a balloon...

New2Yaking turns up at my place, we load his gear into my car and off we go, 200m down the road - oops forgot the gaff, turn around and pick it up will need that for those big kingis!

A two and a half hour trip to the Tutukaka Hoilday Park sees us in our cabin teaching New2Yaking how I set up my soft bait gear.

Friday May 29th, 5:30am
Alarm goes off, get up, grab a quick tin of beans for breakfast, get all geared up, and we head down to Pacific Bay to meet HLD, all kayaks rigged and ready to go

The bay was nice and flat in the harbour but as we reached the heads the story changed, the entrance ws more like a washing machine, with a good 2m swell coming in and bouncing off every rock we were getting a battering.

Personally I've fished in worse conditions but not N2Y and he made the call to stay in the harbour, good on him I say, our sport can be daunting and dangerous at times, when it doesn't feel right for you that's exactly when you should pull the pin, good call mate.

HLD an I carried on to our pre-chosen spot in North Gable, about a 3 km paddle from the harbour entrance. Sun came up on the way there.

At North Gable and the swell didn't get any better really, when we got there fishing for kings was pretty much off the menu as our target pin was now awash with white foam making it impossible and unsafe to fish so we decided to paddle slowly back to the harbour prospecting all the way.

I had seen a wreck marked on the marine chart in North Gable the day before to poped that in my GPS and headed out to it, found it on the sounder and could see plenty of sign, so dropped a 7 inch softie down and bang I could see the fish come 5m+ up off the bottom to hit my bait, locked it up and got a very healthy bend in the rod, lots of string pulled and 10 minutes later up pops a 14lb (estimate) Snapper, poped it in the yak, paddled over to HLD for a quick photo and back it goes to fight another day.

By the time the photo was taken and the drift I was now way off the wreck to decided to go hunting else where. Couldn't find anything for about a hour, and the roll of the sea was taking it's toll on my tin of beans, they were then deployed as burley, no they didn't work, no fish to be seen anywhere...

Went looking around the rocks found nothing, drifted into a spot where HLD had been ten minutes earlier and pulled up a nice 12lb (estimate) Snapper, thought about weather or not keeping it for a feed for just long enough for the Snapper to make a bid for freedom off my lap, so that decision as made...

Gave up on the wash fishing and headed to the center of Middle Gable where I found a very nice looking patch of foul in the middle of one very large bay of nothing, on the sounder the foul looked to be holding what looked like a single large fish (or 2/3 small ones huddling together).

So down she goes, this time it's just a 5 inch Lime Tiger, just what was on there from my wash fishing, again positioned myself so I can see the bait going down on sounder, and again there it is, the fish is coming up to meet the bait, ok, flick the bail arm, the rod bends double, and line screams from the reel, holy, what is this? I had just tightened up the drag on the last couple of fish so this has to be bigger, or fitter :)

15/20 mins later at the end of what was a run, get line back, run, get line back, battle up comes a very nice looking Snapper, jump on the VHF, "HLD, Need another photo please", at this point the fish is still in the water on the end of my gaff, the fish is exhausted so no escape for this one ;) HLD comes over and I pull it up, "Nice fish, very nice fish", I said "what you reckon, 20lb?", he said more like "21lb". Cool ok, I've got my first 20lb from the kayak! Then comes the part where you find out just how easy it is to slide a big fish into the well... yea right!

We then call it a day and paddle back to the harbour to see how N2Y is getting on, my stomach makes doubly sure on the way back that there are no more beans left in there... Swell is stil hanging around outside the entrance.

So we then paddle back into the harbour to find that the swell stlil isn't there and N2Y has caught a couple of throw back Snapper and a John Dory (which he also threw back, didn't know the size limit...) Had a nice paddle back in to a very flat Pacific Bay.

Couple of photos on the beach:

Seems I need a bigger chilly bin...

No one had scales so off the the Marina and to the club office to get it weighed

Official weight... 11.48kg or 25.3lb WOOT! Not only did I break my 20lb Snapper personal best I also did my 25lb one at the same time! Ok off to the pub for a pint!

Photo taken back at home.

Just like to say thanks to HLD and N2Y, had a great time with good company, thanks guys!

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

yakman

Fri May 29, 2009 9:30 pm

That is a very impressive fish! Well done ;)

Its reports like that that remind us of what a fantastic sport kayak fishing is.

That snapper is a very interesting shape, quite unique.

I am going fishing tomorrow and I am not coming in until I have caught one of those :lol:

Great stuff guys.

ozone

Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 am

congratulations mental seems a pretty successful few weeks for you

Nakiman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Sat May 30, 2009 8:52 am

Once again, well done and great report and pic's

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

DanDan
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 am

Jammy bugger!! ;) Well done guys

The kingies should have been in the harbour by the way.........

N2Y
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8335

Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 am

Yeah CONGRATs Mental! The biggest fish I have seen for sure. Havn't seen a smile on your face like that since, well last weekend when you were displaying the 13lber :D

Certainly gutted that I didn't have it in me to come out past the harbour mouth (well actually soon after I left you guys what was inside me came out :oops: ). I guess there is always next time.

DanDan: In the harbour you say...hmmm I like the sound of that :D

Ive stocked up on sea legs so....when's part 2???

Cheers guys and good to meet you HLD.
PB's: Snapper 26.2lb :whew: ; Kawhai 3lb :?: ; Kingfish 25lb 8) ; Trevally 9.5lb :rock: ; John Dory 2lb? :lol: ; Gurnard 35cm :P

Mental
Site Admin

Sat May 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks everyone :)

Yep there will be a repeat trip sometime soon.... Tutukaka is definitely close enough for a day trip from Auckland...

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Good to see HLD showed you where all the fish were and then was kind enough to leave them behind for you mental, he's such a good sport!!
Seriously though, those are the trips that make yak fishing all worthwhile - its as much about getting to the spot as the fish you catch. Looking at swells crashing into the cliffs right up close like that while being in the face of prime fishing country is quite humbling and certainly gives you a better appreciation for the ocean. Great effort, nice fish, thats what makes yakking special and keeps us coming back for more. So many places to fish, so little time, will keep buying lotto tickets who knows...
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Har har ;)

As I said to Mental about his 25lber - I throw the small ones back :mrgreen:

(Although he's pipped my PB by 1.4lb, so the gloves are off now :twisted: )

demigod
Kayak Model: Espri

Sat May 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Awesome report and pics... Looks like a good time was had by all before this crappy weather rolled in for the weekend... (Figures!!) Just wondering if you measured the lenght ? Looks like it will be snapper for tea, snapper for breakfast, and snapper for lunch for a few meals !!

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to Yak fish and you won't hear from him most weekends :-P

sean

Sat May 30, 2009 4:37 pm

awesome fish mental.........and good report.
congrats on breaking the 20pd mark.
Guess its time to chase the majic 30pd mark next?

cheers
sean

chip'n
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMS9238

Sun May 31, 2009 9:07 am

Mental, great report & a monster fish, I can imagine your grin from that one after seeing you at Papa aroha, maybe that was the one that got away & it swam up to Toots for you. chip'n

Mental
Site Admin

Sun May 31, 2009 9:39 am

demigod wrote:Just wondering if you measured the length ?
Didn't measure it but the chilly bin internal length is 800mm so I estimate it was 850/900mm !

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

BOBCAT
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 6538

Sun May 31, 2009 12:10 pm

hi Mental
something totally unrelated. On the subject of thermals under splash pants in the winter, when you came back to weigh in your fish at Paoa Aroha your thermals were black almost like Skins . Is that some particular brand. I meant to ask you at the time.
cheers
Rob

• Information