Great Barrier 15th-17th

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Sampson
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: P13

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Spent the weekend at great barrier. Left Princess just after dusk with a boat load of a mix of rock fishers, boat fishers, divers and heaps of kids. Was pretty good conditions on the way out, a bit lumpy through Colville though and a few of the young ones were pretty green by the sounds of things which is always a bummer. No spearos on the trip and the rock fishers had brought their own kayaks to get on the ledges so nothing for me to do but go fishing :y: . We were moored at the usual Whagapara spot just near the island there and so I fished from dawn until about 10am - basically out and around the island and back to the boat through the channel. Nothing for quite awhile but when I headed in to fish the wash started to pick up pannies. Coming round the top of the island I had a big school of rats under the kayak but yet again couldn't tempt them. Fishing started to pick up in the channel and I ended up catching about a doz, usually don't keep my limit but my dad had put an order in for his 60th on Monday. Some good fish too with an average of around 50cm and a couple in the 7-10lb class, and this one really good one from right in the shallows. Had a great battle and dragged me through the weed a few times. Went 76cm but didn't have scales to weigh it before release. Took this video then managed to semi drown the flip camera in the rain not long after but could still download the footage. (Just bought a tachyon last week but bought AAA's instead of AA's :devil: so was left camera-less from then on).

Spent the rest of the day pissing round really then headed out around 5 but only lasted 30mins and a couple of pannies before it started pouring down and gusting 40 knots. We then motored up to Bowling Alley to escape the storm which was really intense and vis from the boat got down to about 20m with all the wind and rain. A lot of the fellas were fishing off the main boat that evening and were pulling in horse KY hand over fist. No squid around in the lights yet really.

Sunday morning dawned pretty fine with clear skys and a 20 knot W which we were largely protected from. Spent most of the morning dropping people off on the rocks and taking people out in the tender, but got out for an hour just before we left and picked up a couple of goodies, again right up in the shallows. Got a photo on Red's camera.

The good rock fishing guys (one was from NZ fishing world mag) caught some pretty good fish around 2-3kg and had a good kingie molest a KY livie. Trip back was really good as we just bet the SW storm that came through on Sunday night and a couple of skippies were again caught trolling behind the lara star but unfortunately popped off close to the boat. So all in all was a really good weekend, good numbers of fish biting well and some good fish amongst them, though unloading my yak back on Waiheke I found out the hard way that its a good idea to remember to take the 12V battery out before slinging the yak from the top deck to the water :lol: .
Eprouve scientifiquement pour capturer plus de poissons! (read your gulp packet)

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Some good fish there mate :y:

Jett
Kayak Model: Prowler

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Mean fish Sam and well done on releasing that big one, the 2nd photo is a classic :y:

Need to do a trip to the barrier myself sometime, were you fishing plastics?

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm

Nice one Sam!
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

wet ass
Kayak Make: O K
Kayak Model: prowler ultra 4.7
VHF Call Sign: wet ass

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

good fish mate i was there 3 weeks ago in my yak for the 1st time and cleaned up on the snaps and kings :rock:
Always think like a fish no matter how weird it gets!!!

Sampson

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Jett wrote:were you fishing plastics?
First time taking the kayak, usually I take a dingy and do a mix of plastic and bait and burley sessions at the change of light. Seeing I was in the yak I only took softbaits this time.
Eprouve scientifiquement pour capturer plus de poissons! (read your gulp packet)

Sampson

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:31 pm

wet ass wrote:good fish mate i was there 3 weeks ago in my yak for the 1st time and cleaned up on the snaps and kings :rock:
It's awesome out there eh, the thing I like is that you never know how big the next fish is going to be.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Great report Sam, and some nice fish, will be out there again soon I'm sure ;)

You gotta love that picture too :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Sampson

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Mental wrote:Great report Sam, and some nice fish, will be out there again soon I'm sure ;)
Good to hear mate, no trips booked in until you guys go in late may which is a bit of a bummer, I'm pretty keen to get out there again soon too (have a lot of nappies to change before I'll get permission though :D ).

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Special place the barrier :y:

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 pm

nice fish mate one of the places on the to go to places :y: ....

• Information