Orere Point - the tried and true

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Orere Point 1/3/2020

I couldn’t make it to the EAKFC Club Day on Saturday, so I made an effort to get out on Sunday by myself instead. It’s been a while since I had a fish in Auckland so I thought I’d go for the tried and true at Orere Point. It’s like going to McDonald’s – you’ve got a good idea of what you’re going to get before you even arrive. A few pannies, but nothing exceptional. Fine by me – I only needed a feed.
The wind was a bit stronger than I expected, but well within the limits as I paddled off the beach. There’s often a bit of a choppy wave close to shore – not enough to cause trouble, but enough to make me thoroughly wet when launching. None-the-less, I paddled off to my usual well worn spot, past the marker post and out to at least 9m depth.
This time of year it can be plagued by small fish, and yesterday was no exception. From my very first cast, every Gulp I cast out got mauled regardless of shape or colour. I was probably leaving it down just a little too long as they were getting bitten to pieces very quickly. After OI lost a couple of tails, I changed to a bruised banana Z-man to improve the longevity. Despite fishing in a very similar fashion, I got very little attention.
After about half an hour I gave up and went back to cleaning out my softbait container. In particular I found a few softbaits that had been used before and tried those again. Sure enough, every Gulp got chomped. A few I trimmed the end off so I could use them again when they got too damaged to use. I even caught a fish on a grub with no tail (just the body). Through all this I caught 3 legal fish around 35cm. With a feed in the bag, I changed back to the Z-man while I enjoyed the sunshine and last few casts. I was commenting to myself that Z-mans don’t seem to work as well in the style I was fishing when CRASH – something smashed my softbait and didn’t stop… well really it took about 10 metres of line then stopped. I was starting to think I’d hit a rock as it was completely stationary, when it took off again.
A torrid 5 minute fight with me losing and gaining line in nearly equal measures up popped a monster snapper. Into the net it went and bending the frame I lifted it onto my kayak. Holy *&%# this thing was as wide as my kayak! Each time it flapped I thought it was going to propel itself out of the net.
After a couple of attempts to get it onto the stringer and into the back I let out a couple of loud cheers and headed for home (who am I kidding, I had a few more casts first). Back onshore it wasn’t quite as big as I first thought, but at 70+ cm and 12.5lb, my biggest from Orere by far and my second biggest from the kayak.
Mostly, I can’t get over the fact the tail is bigger than my hand.
Fish tail.jpg
Fish tail.jpg (145.75 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Today it has a date with the Marsic brothers in Glen Innes and will come back as fine smoked fish on Wednesday morning.
Fish whole.jpg
Fish whole.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Fish whole.jpg
Fish whole.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Noice one.
Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Nice fish.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911
DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Awesome catch bro!

I've gone 100% to Z-mans due to gulps constantly getting their tails nibbled off and costing a fortune.

Some Chinese company needs to copy Gulp's formula and sell the things for about 20% of the current cost.
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

I went to fully using Z-mans for a while, but I just didn't feel like I was getting the success. I'm quite a lazy fisher - I often just cast out, leave it sit for a few seconds, then slowly wind it back. The scented nature seem to draw fish in, then the slow wiggely movement draws the strike. If they don't hook up first time, I stop immediately and that often prompts them to come back and have another go. That doesn't seem to work for z-mans.

I still carry my z-man lures everywhere, but I only use them in certain situations e.g. Sunday when there were lots of small snapper around, fishing around the mussel barges, and in Northland where leatherjackets decimate gulps.

All that aside - my two biggest snapper have been caught on z-man lures.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778
SitDown

nice fish there mate, good on ya
Waylander

That is a great looking fish! :y:
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

PB Snapper-68cm(12.5lbs) Waihau Bay 30/7/20
PB Kingfish -113cm(26.5lbs) Port Charles 27/2/20
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Nice fish, well done. Has been quite some time since I last fished Orere - I miss it
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420