pt chev area

Go on then, tell us your stories...
SitDown

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 pm

went out for the first time this year on saturday at meola reef
pretty hard going, nothing like it was in mid summer last year
water temp was 29 when I left, then dropped off to 24deg where I dropped the pick in 2m water
stray baits for a few hrs.... 3 undersized, 3 keepers of 32, 37, 37 plus a few good runs that fell off
out going tide, no bites

went out today after work, fished 1.5hrs either side of high tide (330-630pm).... same reef but more further out than where I would usually go
had difficulty sitting on the edge of the very light current flow, too much swinging around in the light breezes in 2m water
spent about 30-40mins fart arsing around anchor & re-anchoring a few times in between one or 2 fish going back
very slow fishing either side of the high tide
used about 20 half pillie baits all up for 4 throw backs & 3 keepers of 42, 43, 45, other baits were striped without me knowing

clovegro
Kayak Make: Own
Kayak Model: CAT

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi Sitdown.
Good report.
I used to fish out from Pt Chev, my be 3 times per week For over 10 years. Had some great fish caught from there. I too used to fish shallow water. With as little as 700 mm at low tide. Got some of my biggest fish just after low tide. This place fished well on the out going after high tide, as the current picked up and also on the incoming as the current picked up. Light gear, 4 to 5 kilo main line and just a little more for the trace. Used to fish with 1/2 oz sinker above a swivel. Trace only 600 long max. Fresh mullet best bait or whole pillies. But also at certain times of the year squid was the go. Best months to fish this area was from the end of Feb then on to June. The later in the year the bigger the fish. Less fish but bigger all round. The largest snapper I caught there was 655mm long. I used only circle hooks size 7. Cast out towards the point of Pt Chev. I used to anchor, so hear is my gift to you.
The location. I had two transits.
The first is to line up the two flag poles on the bridge with the left high lump on Rangi.
The second was line up the very end of Pt Chev point until you see a large orange tile roof on a house. I used to always launch at Rammond road. So when I saw the red roof I would turn and motor back until it was on the transit. Then anchor. Keep the noise down as well.
Hope this helps you in catching a few.

SitDown

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Will try out your land marks, thanks for that. The spot x book put me on to some marks, then I found my own spots, some I can touch the bottom with my paddle
Meola is an unusual place to fish, as the tide rises over the oyster rocks, the tide flow can change & go the wrong way for an hour then change direction again, bloody annoying

Have never paddled out from Raymond Rd sailing club... That whole area off Pt Chev beach to the Whau river off Te Atatu would be ideal with soft baits if the wind ever buggars off long enough, heard its quite good.
Met one local kayaker who had fished that area for over 20yrs, he said nah mate no good fish at Meola, Pt Chev is better for bigger fish

clovegro
Kayak Make: Own
Kayak Model: CAT

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm

It's a good spot.
Watchout for the marine reserve towards Te Atatu. A link to a good article about this below.
https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/do ... ochure.pdf

Another few tips. You said you lost bait but did not feel a bite... In this area there are many, and I mean many, sprats. They can form a meat ball around your bait and move it to the surface. Watch for this, as I have seen snapper smash through them to get to the bait. If you pull in your line, sometimes you will see the pillies have been gutted back to their ribs. This is a sign of sprats. Also there are a great many piper in the area. If you have time to catch these on a light line with small hooks and a float, then the big snapper go off on these fresh. Cube them as ground bait. When and if you check the gut of the fish you catch, then many times I have found these cubes in there.
I fish with Shimano Batam Mag 50 SG reels. I can set the drag, and free spool, but engage the ratchet. This tends to keep you awake when the big fishn strike. mA turn of the handle and the line tightens up, setting the recurved hook. I always fish with a light drag, allowing them to run when they want. They tire and come back towards the boat, until they see it and screem off again. Good fun at times. Oh and use a net when landing them.
Cheers

SitDown

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:24 pm

First time went out from the sailing club (Raymond st) yesterday 930-5pm... also the last time for that length of time, give me a 3 - 4hr session anytime.
Pretty much out for a looksie around Pt Chev to Meola over the dropping tide to low tide, trying to figure out why things are the way they are
All of my Meola spots are high & dry at low tide except for one of them that I hardly fish.
My regular possie I have caught heaps of snaps in the 40 - 50 range, best 63, not sure why they congregate there. There is no reef system or weed or anything except oyster rocks, which spans 1.5km out to the main channel....I`m not complaining. I reckon they are in there for an easy feed of crabs & stuff on the mud flats close by then nosey around to my baits haha

I didn't get to your spot x, in desperation I needed fish in the bin, it was 330pm only 1 keeper. Ended up fishing the white markers straight off the beach, there was some reef patches around featureless mud, got snaps straight away in 1m water on the incoming, throw backs, ended up with 4 keepers 34 - 37
Was a bloody mission coming back from Meola, 2.5km in 15 plus knots of head wind... never again will I let myself get caught out like that

Met a local fisher who mentioned a worm bed off the beach, a while back, I was looking for it at the start of the session
Theres also a mussel bed & an old munitions dump where the Whau river departs from the Waitemata on the flats. Ideally needing low light on a evening rising tide going into change of light... am too chicken shite to do it on my own for the first time haha
I bet your spot x would be ideal on a rising tide going into the change of light, as that whole area, the wind drops off before twilight

Benji_d
Kayak Make: Mission
Kayak Model: 3.9

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:41 pm

Good intel guys. I'm new on the site and fish this are a bit in my Yak so good to see the regular reports.

Will repay with intel if I do get out in the next few months when this area fires.

• Information