Papa Aroha Get Together 2019 !

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:46 pm

After a long winter of spiny dogs, some warmer water was very needed for me.
With the Rob Fort Coromandel get together this would be my chance to ditch the cold and fish the coromandel for the first time in 10 years.
After a 7 hour trip up from Hawkes Bay we arrived to Coromandel town and dropped into robs shop and looked around at some gear before heading to papa aroha camp.

The forecast in away trips is typically bad for us, and this one was no exception. 20 – 30 Knot SW winds from Thursday to Saturday night. We got out for a look around the coast on Friday driving over to the east coast to try and find some water out of the wind. There was just nothing that we were able to fish properly. The winds were funnelling over the mountains and dumping extreme gusts onto us .

After some serious thought , I launched from little bay where there was some shelter Inside the headland.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.30.33 PM.png
Luckily I found some good depth ( 10 m ) and began to chuck some lures around onto sign I could see. These fish weren’t interested. With those not working I jumped onto a weed-line and set the burley up.

Sabiki’s went down and my JD rig was ready to go.
I start to pick up some jack mackerel which I quickly dropped down with a hooks through them. I started to get some runs but they were dropping the baits. A few got ripped off before I got a solid hook-up after a good run. It felt like a proper JD. Halfway up the thing let go of course. Always had trouble keeping hooks in these fish. Sure enough the mackerel was still on and had fin damage + scales gone. A typical sign of being in a dory throat.

A few more baits got taxed and I finally managed to pull one of these fish up. Turns out this time it was a BIG squid that had grabbed my bait. My net was ready but the dam squid let go and I had to agonisingly watch as he jetted away. He didn’t come back for another go. With that I was done in these swirling winds.

Time to make a plan for comp day.
Well Saturday wasn’t looking a heap better so we decided it would be best to fish the east coast once again. This time fishing along Tutaeawa’s coast. All I have to say is I tried everything and couldn’t bring anything up into a burley trail or onto lures. Swapping back to JD mode I found some small jack mackerel and ran those around for about 4 hours with so much as a sniff.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.13.41 PM.png
About 15 of us fished this area, and I tell you the skunking’s that got handed out were unprecedented. About 4 people caught fish and not very many either.
We returned to the west coast where conditions looked to have improved for a few hours enabling some patient anglers to get out for while the wind held off. It later picked up again.

Some nice fish were weighed in… mainly to brave souls who had fished the west coast. Something I was not keen to do in the forecast we had.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.16.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.16.48 PM.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 341 times
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.17.33 PM.png
I probably had the most classic weigh in of the comp.
I brought out the huge bin and place one of my huge mackerel into it before getting in line.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.14.09 PM.png
When it was my turn I popped the bin open and placed it on the scales. There were some mortified looks as the scales read 30 grams. 😆 What can you do ? Not much more from my end apart from going out in less than ideal conditions.

The final results were :
Kingfish 11.6kg
Snapper 3.6kg
Kahawai 1.9kg
John Dory 2.1kg
Gurnard 0.6kg
Mystery Species: Tarakihi 0.9kg

In order to save the weekend I was back up at 5am on Sunday to try and salvage some fish with some help from Laurie. The conditions were sloppy but manageable especially since we weren’t far from shore. Laurie helped to set me up with the correct soft bait / jig-head combo and we were away. Not 100m from shore we both hooked up on our third cast. Soft bait caught snapper. tick.
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.26.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 6.26.04 PM.png
We continued through the morning in very tough fishing with the odd snapper popping up to keep us amused. After some time we found a spot holding some fish, a 3m rise going from 16m up to 13m. We drifted over this patch a number of times and picked up 5 fish in this area between us.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.37.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 2.38.36 PM.png
Even with relatively small fish, I was over the moon. The coromandel had thrown everything at me. But I’d finally had some success.

A huge thank you goes out to :
The legend himself Nigel Whiting
Laurie Pottinger
Black Magic
Rob Fort
Damian Trownson
Viking Kayaks
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.20kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
3.20kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Taranaki Port
1.40kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach
20kg Thresher Shark- Urenui Beach

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm

Nice report Blair :y: .

I really want to go this year but hope to be there next year. Laurie is a top bloke. I'm looking forward to fishing with him in Feb.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information