Tamaki Yacht Club - 1st September

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Uncle Mole
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:15 pm

It was the perfect combination of weather and tide for a mornings fishing and with fathers day providing a ‘free pass’ to get out on the water I headed off to Tamaki Yacht Club and was on the water by 7:15am just as the sun was burning through early morning sea mist.
20190901_072319.jpg
I paddled out to the nav buoy looking for a bit of sign on the sounder but it looked pretty quiet, so I drifted for a bit, the current slowly taking me towards the city. A fan of sliders I was using the Ocean Angler Kabura Slider Jig 80G Orange Gold, dropping and retrieving but nothing was taking interest. I decided to check out buoy 18, and mooched around for a while, drifting with the current but it seemed like it was going to be a quiet morning.

I headed over the channel and paddled along the channel edge towards buoy 17 and then drifted back deploying both the Slider and for a bit of variety the Ocean Angler Inchiku (Bruised Banana) 60g covered in Secret Sauce Bloody Tuna Secret Sauce. I alternated between the two, bringing in a couple of smaller snapper on the Inchiku, to small to keep, one probably taking the record for smallest snapper I have ever caught, they both went back to keep growing.

Out towards Bean Rock I could see a bit of a work up, White-Fronted Terns only but since I wasn’t having much luck I thought I would take a look. I switched out the Inchiku for a Rapala CountDown Magnum CD-9 Sinking Lure (9cm Silver Mackerel) expecting there to be Kahawai down there somewhere pushing the bait fish to the surface and crossed back across the channel. At some point I hooked up on an Kahawai, nothing to get excited about, but it was a fish and if the worst came to the worst, it would provide a nice lunch for one.

Around Bean Rock there were a fair number of vessels all doing a spot of fishing, the sounder was showing a heap of fish and I hooked up on another undersized snapper which went back. I kept an eye on the boats and one seem to be doing fair business so I paddled over and positioned myself a respectful distance off its stern and got the Slider working. The tide had changed and I was now drifting towards Waiheke in about 20-25m. I hooked up pretty quickly but it was another undersized snapper, 28cm or so but at least it was closer to the legal limit. I had noticed that in the last couple of drops something was showing interest in the slider but wasn’t hooking up, so I let the slider settle for a little while longer on the bottom and then started a really slow wind. I was thinking to myself, please be a John Dory, and just as I thought it the line went tight and I was hooked into something. It fort exactly like a JD, in that it didn’t really put up much of a struggle and a few moments later I had a beautiful looking JD in the net.

I was pleased as punch and paddled back towards the boat to start the drift again. Next I hooked up on a nice 30cm Gurnard which I also kept. I decided on one more drift and then head closer to Bean Rock. I dropped the slider and started a slow wind and then I got hit. I knew it was something big and it was stripping line and I was pretty sure I had been unlucky with a shark. I increased the tension on the reel and gave a few experimental winds and managed to claw back some line, but not for long as the fish went on another run taking line back with it. More tension on the reel and I pulled on the rod halting the fish's run, perhaps this wasn’t a shark after all. I kept winding, keeping the tension on and started to make some headway, after one more run the fish seemed done in and it was fairly simply to bring the fish to the surface. It was the largest snapper I have ever caught, its tail was as thick as my wrist! My first problem was how was I going to get it into the kayak, my net could only take its head, so with its head in the net I grabbed its tail and heaved it into the kayak.

I was ecstatic, it was definitely a BP and after much whooping and fist pumping I started to unhook the fish having decided to put it back. However the fish simply seemed done and didn’t show any signs of recovery and in the end I put it in the bin with the JD. My time was up so I paddled back towards the Yacht Club still trolling the rapala. I got hit just past Bean Rock and had a fun fight with a nice sized Kahawai which I reeled in added to the bin. I was back at the Club just before 11am.

The snapper was 73cm and weighed in at 6.5kg.
20190901_120540.jpg

Waylander

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Can’t complain with a Snap like that and a JD to boot!
Happy dinner :)
OK Prowler Ultra 4.1

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

Ferret
Kayak Make: Container Door Special!
Kayak Model: Two person tank
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:05 pm

Great report! Looks like it's time to get out there again!

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:52 pm

nice report there mate, congrats on your PB snap :y:

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:06 am

Getting out, and getting it done. Congrats!

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 am

Nice report :y:

GregPotter
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:28 pm

What a productive few hours! Congrats. Do you find the traffic in and around that area manageable? I've fished from my kayak off west bastion reef, but never much further into the channel.

Uncle Mole
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:05 pm

GregPotter wrote:What a productive few hours! Congrats. Do you find the traffic in and around that area manageable? I've fished from my kayak off west bastion reef, but never much further into the channel.
I find Sunday mornings are best, not much traffic to deal with before 9am. Yes you have to be watchful, the Waiheke ferry is a monster, but generally I fish on the edge of the channel on either side rather than in the middle and that seems safe enough. On the whole I seem to catch more fish there than in the deeper water anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Great result. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information