Tamaki Yacht Club 28th April

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Uncle Mole
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:53 pm

A family break in the Far North, first around Coopers Beach and later Paihia reminded me of what a great place to live NZ is. After fish & chips at the Mangonui Fish Shop the kids and I fished off the wharf and caught very little but had a great time anyway. Later in the week we caught up with friends in Russell who took a group of kids out on their boat for a spot of fishing. Eight boys aged between 8 and 13 managed to fish in an orderly fashion for a couple of hours, my boys catching their first ever Snapper which unfortunately were nothing to sing about, but the enthusiasm of all the kids was fabulous and the rat kingie which dropped by to see what we were up to grew in size and stature with each telling and retelling of the fishing story.

Back in Auckland I thought I would squeeze in a little outing before the week was done so got up early and was on the water by 6:45am. I had spent the evening entering in various waypoints into my Garmin Striker 4+ and was keen how the coordinates on wetmaps.co.nz measured up to reality. I had spotted a likely location on the sonar layer and recording it as SpotX it was the first place I paddled out to. The Striker seemed to get me to the right place, but it was low tide in 4m of water and fish were absent, perhaps it's a high tide opportunity.
20190428_071558.jpg
I paddled on past Beak Rock, buoy 15 my destination, and as I moved into deeper water, 20m or so, fish started to appear on the Striker and I dropped the Ocean Angler Kabura Slider Jig 80G Orange Gold to the sea floor. A few drops and retrievals later and I was into my first snapper. I could tell it wasn’t huge, but was happy to bring in a 35cm fish.

I was joined by a Pied Shag who, interested in my catch, would dive after the Slider every time I dropped it. I tried to shoo it away but it was persistent and eventually managed to tangle itself in my line. A bit of struggle later and the Shag freed itself and realising I was not about to provide it a meal flew off much to my relief.

The current and northerly was causing me to slowly drift back towards Bean Rock so every 10 minutes or so I’d paddle back to the middle of the channel and drift again. On the fifth or so drift the line went tight and I was into something, but by the feel of it it wasn’t a snapper, instead a nice sized Gurnard of about 40cm joined the snaps in the ChillPod.

Not much more happened for the next 45 minutes or so, there were fish down there but they were slow and tentative to bite and those that did hook up were undersized and went back. I decided I’d head all the way to buoy 15 and then drift the whole way and if I didn’t catch anything then I’d call it and head home early. There was no interest by the buoy but as I drifted back into the channel edge the slider got hit and string was pulled. I was pretty sure the fish was well hooked so I let the line tension off a bit and played the fish enjoying the powerful runs. At the end of it a nice 44cm snaps went into the bin.

With not much else happening I dodged the sailboats and launches and started paddling to buoy 18 trailing a Z-Man Jerk ShadZ Scented Soft Bait 5'' (Motor Oil) on my other rod. From a distance it looked like buoy 18 had gone on a crash diet, it was no longer large and red like its mates but rather it looked pretty skinny. Up close it was easy to see why, the buoy had been hit by something big and got smashed by prop blades ripping the top half to shreds. I spent too much time wondering how and why and didn’t notice that my soft bait had got caught up on the buoy, by the time I realised something was wrong the line tension was too strong and with a loud ping the top section of the rod sheared off and the local sea life were the recipients of a stream of bad language. I back paddled, the soft bait came free and I was able to retrieve the line.
20190428_095627.jpg
20190428_095627.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Pissed at my own stupidity I dropped the Slider into 6m of water and jigged my way back to the Yacht Club, the current taking me 90% of the way there. Fortunately as if Poseidon felt sorry for me he sent me quite a few fish to keep me interested and I took a 36cm snapper in 5.4m of water.

Back at the boat ramp I was met by a couple of fisheries officers who were the size of mountains but as polite as nuns and after chewing the fat they measured my smaller fish and satisfied wished me a pleasant morning which was all very nice.
20190428_111039.jpg
I was back home for 11:00am, filleted the fish and made fish sliders for the family for lunch.

SitDown

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Good report mate

Have you tried the shallows around east & west bastion reefs close to bean rock ? those shallows look quite fishy

Uncle Mole
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:24 pm

SitDown wrote:Good report mate

Have you tried the shallows around east & west bastion reefs close to bean rock ? those shallows look quite fishy
I've tried West Bastion a few times usually on my way to Rangitoto and it hasn't been that productive, but I've never tried a slider out there though. I've never really given East Bastion much of a go, I think it's very tide dependant.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

• Information