Whangamata 21/04

Go on then, tell us your stories...
TBreezy

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Another family trip to Whangamata, another dawnie beach launch.

Paddled out in almost darkness and headed to my usual area. A mate had given me some skutes he’d tied so I had one of those on a the “heavy” setup (10lb) and a paddle tail on the light. Mostly fishing around reef in about 5-8m so even though the light set casts better I favoured the heavy.

To begin with, i threw the skute around but found it was a bit heavy on a 1/2oz. Kept hitting weed way too soon and lost it quite early on. Had a little flick with the paddle tail on 1/4oz and managed a small snapper. Changed the paddle over to the heavy set and continued on, landing another small snapper. Snagged up at one point and lost that bait, so popped on a New Penny curly tail.

There were fish getting chased about around the area so flicked a few casts around while having another skute out the back. Something hit the curly on a retrieve but didnt hook up so I let it back down again where it was and it just got slammed right under the kayak.

It took off on a huuuge run and I tightened the drag as much as I was comfortable with. I managed to keep its head up with some short pumps and it took off another couple of times. Bit of stalemate for a minute but eventually I saw the tell tale flash of red coming up in the crystal clear water. Up it popped and man, I was stoked. Somehow managed to fit it in the net and pull it aboard. Measured it at 71cm, so somewhere around the 14 or 15lb mark. I primarily fish for food, and am a bit on the fence about catch and release but I understand why you’d wanna let the big ones go, so off it swam into the reef below.

While all this was happening a kahawai had managed to hook itself on the trailing bait and thankfully stayed out of dodge. I reeled it in right after I had boated the snapper and when it got near the surface it decided to run again. The anti reverse on my reel had decided it wanted to party this morning so when the fish took off, the reel just spun backwards creating a wonderful birds nest. I hand lined it in and released it so I could get to the big fulla.

After a re-tie I was near a small piece of foul I have had some success at before so headed on over there. Something had a swipe at the soft bait trailing next to my kayak as I took off. Not sure what it was but let me know that the fish were hungry this morning.

First drift of the spot and to my pleasant surprise I managed two nice trevally. Another drift and dropped something else.

I decided to call it after that and was back on the beach at 10.

Awesome morning, full fridge and a new PB off the yak.
9CCFDE3F-D79B-432E-AF3A-32EFDDAD10E2.jpeg
75A56019-584B-4170-AE79-152ECF335D2F.jpeg

Luke 1
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 am

Nice haul and congratulations on the PB :beer:

TBreezy

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks dude!

Kingaling
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm

Bloody nice snapper that, well done. I'm actually heading to Whangamata next weekend and will be taking the yak with me for a dawn mish hopefully. Can you recommend best spot to launch from?
The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

TBreezy

Fri May 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Kingaling wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:12 pm
Bloody nice snapper that, well done. I'm actually heading to Whangamata next weekend and will be taking the yak with me for a dawn mish hopefully. Can you recommend best spot to launch from?
Cheers! Was a good fight.

I'd say along the back beach somewhere in the middle. It's most sheltered from the swell there. There's also a consistent rip out from beach access 17 which is a bit further south, but watch the swell on both sides of it.

The front beach would be do-able in swell under 0.5m but I've never launched from there. You could also go out the harbour entrance on the outgoing and come back with the incoming. Watch out for boats, there are heaps.

There are tons of places to choose from once you get out there. If there's too much swell, check out the harbour.

Have a good one.

• Information