AHB 4 October

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm

On the water at sparrow's fart, and a beautiful dawn it was too.

I caught and released about 17 Snapper, the biggest was 27 cm. So no Snapper for dinner. I did take a Conger Eel.
I may have posted about my preferred method of dealing with Congers, which is to put 'em on a stringer and slash the throat, leaving them in the water to bleed out and not cover me and the Kayak with slime.

So the Eel is in the water, bleeding out and - Shark Shark Baby!

I noticed a triangular fin about 10 cm tall, zig zagging it's way up the current towards me. I quickly realised it was tracking the blood in the water as it cruised back and forth across the current, gradually zeroing in on the Conger in the water.

Then the fin got about 30cm tall! Shit and derision, that got the adrenalin flowing! As the shark got closer it started to speed up and it was clearly in 'hunting' mode.

At this point I decided to boat the Eel as I didn't want to find out what a large shark would do at the side of my kayak, when attacking the Eel. It was a Bronze Whaler and it was clearly visible to me, as it ranged about the Kayak looking for the source of the blood. Luckily I had the scupper plugs in, so no more blood got in the water and after a few minutes, the Shark lost interest and left.

Whilst the Shark was there, I did get an estimation of the size and as it drew abeam, it was easily more than half the length of my Kayak, the 'yak is approx 13 feet, this makes the shark 7~8 ft long, and it was a fatty too.

Well that was a thrilling encounter, made my day that did. I'm just pleased it was such a benign encounter, despite the speed and hunting mode of the shark. :D
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am

Interesting report. I wondered if you were pulling our chain like FOM :D

I'm not particularly worried about bronzies, but having a tug of war with a fish that size in a kayak is probably not a very good idea!

Marc N

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:11 am

Nope, not pulling your chain, all true and very exciting, I was so intent on the action, I didn't even think of getting my phone out of it's plastic pouch and taking a photo.

I'll be keeping an eye out next time I dangle a bleeding Eel over the side though...

I've got one of those little $50 GoPro imitators, I should start taking that with me.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:54 pm

As I was reading, I thought "oh well that a good plan, I can hang an eel next to the kayak if I ever catch one, sounds like you don't need to worry about the blood attracting sharks". But then...guess I won't be doing that then.

Yes, I got a camera too and even got an extended battery which means I should get more than 6 hours' recording time if there's enough memory. Must just do the trouble og taking it along.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Marc N

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:20 pm

This time I got photos, I spent 30 minutes hanging out with this baby Fur Seal next to the bridge,

On the fishing side, tried an Orange slider, several different softbaits and still no fish. I'm going back to squid. I went from the Gold Hole at Northcote Point, across to Westhaven, up to Birkenhead wharf and back to Northcote Point. 50~60 feet most of it, 80 feet under the middle of the bridge.

Seal1.jpg
Seal1.jpg (597.51 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Seal2.jpg
Seal2.jpg (573.15 KiB) Viewed 395 times
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak

Kermit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400 - Kermit

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 pm

I had 2 of those, Luke1 and Barry. Great report Marc N