Kahawai and rescue of 2 people and a canoe at Orere Point.

Go on then, tell us your stories...
codmaster
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47 am

We it was a beautiful day out at Orere Point on Saturday. Again it was an afternoon fish due to kids soccer, so off I went. I got to Orere Point carpark about 2pm and meet up with the EAKFC that we just packing up from a club day. A few pan sized snapper and lots of Kahawai in the chilly bins, but no monsters to show.

Meet John and Mary from the club who were planning to also go for an afternoon fish. Headed out towards the pole and went looking for the snapper. Absolutely nothing. No sign or even bait fish showing up. Wind against tide I didn't even have to put out my drift chute as I wasn't really moving.

I decided to go after the Kahawai and get a feed. It took about 1.5hrs of fishing I got my quota of Kahawai. I joined John after that was in some deeper water hoping to catch a snapper, but still no real sign. After trying for about an hr I headed back in.

In the distance I thought I could see people on a double kayak who were fishing about 400m out from the carpark. I keep an eye on them as I made my way in and there saw them move back towards the carpark. In an instant I saw them flip over and in the water went. I let John know on the radio that these guys capsized and they might need our help.

I picked up the pace and made my way towards them. They had some debris floating behind them, but I could see them both pop up holding onto what I could now see was a big lake canoe about 5-6m. They held on and starting kicking the canoe to shore, so I went around and picked up the boot's and mini chilly bin and a hat that was floating in the water in the current and made my way towards them.

They both had life jackets on which was good, but the hutchwilco horseshoe one didn't inflate. I don't think he found the tube as well to manually inflate it. I asked if they wanted a tow to shore luckily they already has a rope tied to the front of the canoe. I made a loop and clipped it onto my running rig and off we went.

I started off strong and then realised holy heck this thing is heavy. Even with them kicking I could really feel the weight of it. All I was thinking was if only Neho or Arama was here in their pedal kayaks, but no It was just me and my Viking reload. I think it took about 15min, but what felt like 30mins to get them back to shore at the mouth of the river. It may have been only about 200-300m, but man what a work out. Counting down the metres on my fish finder as we got closer to shore 1.6m, I yelled out can you stand yet, they tried. Nope. Don't worry boys almost there.

People watching jump in once we to the shore and helped pull the half submerged canoe to shore. I unclipped my running rig from the canoe went off to where I was parked. While packing up the guys I helped out came over and gave me a big hug and thanked me again. I was just glad they were safe and back on dry land. They offer me beer, but I declined and offered them some fish they accepted a Kahawai and thanked me again before parting ways.
PB's
Snapper 78cm - Waikato Bay
JD 43cm - Rawhiti
KY 54cm - Orere Point
Blue cod 38cm - Little bay

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Good on you for helping out mate! Karma will sort you out soon I am sure :clap:

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Well done mate ! :clap:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Nicely done, glad it worked out well - in winter that can quickly go south.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Nice work mate! You’re a legend!!! :clap: :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:41 am

Top job pal well done you deserve a beer :clap:

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 am

WELL DONE :y:

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Legend :y: . You definitely deserve a beer :beer:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information