Orere Point

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am

Its been a while since I reported last, so I thought I better do a trip report.

Went out at Orere Point yesterday on the basis of a pretty good weather forecast and tales of success the day before. The air was cool, but not as cold as I had expected. Looking from the beach it looked like it was going to be a magic day, with overcast conditions and just a touch of wind to ruffle the surface further out.

However, looks can be deceiving! Getting out of the shelter of the headland, there was a southerly pushing straight up the Firth. I kept paddling down past the marker and set my drogue in about 8 m of water. The breeze slowly climbed and by 8:30-9:00am was kicking up some sizeable chop. At one point I took a scupper plug out because the water coming over the gunwales was filling me up faster than the self draining plugs could empty it.

With nothing on board, it was getting unpleasant so I headed in to save some brownie points. As I got closer in the chop died down as more shelter became available. Spotting a couple of other EAKFC members I decided to have just a couple of 'final' casts. It was still pretty slow, but I did manage one small keeper snapper on my lazy Lucanus. It was very slow and patchy out there with everyone having to work hard for fish. I found I would get touches on my softbait, but not convert it to a hook up. Then the next cast (and subsequent 20) would get no attention at all.

Called it quits just before 10am to still get home early.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Last time I was out there were still some very small snapper about, but also some pretty solid units among them... I havent seen the work ups the locals have been talking about, however I seen some of the catches coming off the beach and its been carnage, dont underestimate fishing just off the beach there....

• Information