Thursday AHB

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Post Reply
User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 am

I went out on Thursday, caught three, 29 cm snapper and let 'em go.

Beautiful day, 10 knot Southerly , about 6 C.

When I got back to the shore, I couldn't feel my legs.

Jeez Im getting old. When I was seventeen, I could sail a Laser all afternoon in the middle of winter, in a storm and in just a Tshirt and shorts, no worries.

Now I'm not gonna go out until it gets up and into the 16~17 degree range.

I guess if I was a commercial fisherman the 29 cm snappers woulda been keepable.

Never mind, lovely and cold, but not again.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Image

Rahul17
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am
Kayak Make: barracuda
Kayak Model: sot
VHF Call Sign: donthaveone
Location: whangarei

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm

welcome to the cold

User avatar
AndrewRawlingson
Posts: 2495
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Northland

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Marc N wrote:I went out on Thursday, caught three, 29 cm snapper and let 'em go.

Beautiful day, 10 knot Southerly , about 6 C.

When I got back to the shore, I couldn't feel my legs.

Jeez Im getting old. When I was seventeen, I could sail a Laser all afternoon in the middle of winter, in a storm and in just a Tshirt and shorts, no worries.

Now I'm not gonna go out until it gets up and into the 16~17 degree range.

I guess if I was a commercial fisherman the 29 cm snappers woulda been keepable.

Never mind, lovely and cold, but not again.

It is possible to stay warm (and dry) on a yak, but you have to spend the $$$. I know, I’ve been through all the apparel available. I feel the cold more than most. Problem is that if you’re warm enough when fishing, you’re likely to be too hot when paddling.
Image

User avatar
FatherOfMany
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:34 am
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858
Location: Papakura, Auckland
Contact:

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:46 am

I feel your pain man, was always immune to cold water up until 10 years ago. Always got some stares from other divers because I scuba dived in shorts and a t-shirt (just to avoid nipple rash from the BCD) when others would complain about the cold in their 5mm websuits, most of them even wearing hoodies.
Now I'm sitting here inside my house on a Sunday morning and my feet are cursing me for getting out of bed. Going to spend those $$$ on some of those kayak pants that includes shoes as per a recent thread on here. Andrew, I think it may have been your suggestion that people liked the most?
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 am

I'm thinking of using my waders, with a belt and a lifejacket I should be OK in the harbour.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Image

User avatar
AndrewRawlingson
Posts: 2495
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Northland

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:33 am

Yes, Lovig kayak pants are the way to go. There’s a few threads about them.
Image

Casualtyward
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778
Location: Auckland

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am

Marc N wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 am
I'm thinking of using my waders, with a belt and a lifejacket I should be OK in the harbour.
Herb Spannagl ('Rainbow' on this forum) used to do likewise until he had a bad experience and the water got past the belt - its hard to swim if your waders are full of water and you can forget about trying to get back onto your kayak with all the extra weight. He was making a surf transition though, so that may increase the risk of failure.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am

Casualtyward wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:02 am
Marc N wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 am
I'm thinking of using my waders, with a belt and a lifejacket I should be OK in the harbour.
Herb Spannagl ('Rainbow' on this forum) used to do likewise until he had a bad experience and the water got past the belt - its hard to swim if your waders are full of water and you can forget about trying to get back onto your kayak with all the extra weight. He was making a surf transition though, so that may increase the risk of failure.
Yes I've considered this problem and watched some youtubery on the pros and cons. My thoughts are, just off Northcote point and Birkenhead point in the harbour, I'm unlikely to tip out, and if I do I can hang on to the 'yak and drift to shore eventually, if the Ferries don't rescue/run-me-down, first..

The waders I've got are not super lightweight, but neither are they the old heavy Skellerup Rubber kind, that I threw away after 30 years of use. These new ones are quite light weight and I'd suggest, have neutral buoyancy in the water.

Getting back into the Kayak would be a mission, but I'm old enough and ugly enough, that it'd be a mission without waders.

Question: would the yak pants with built in feet, prevent water ingress, in the event of an immersion?
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Image

User avatar
AndrewRawlingson
Posts: 2495
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Northland

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 am

No, but neither are they a massive hindrance to getting back in the yak. I tried it.
Image

User avatar
Marc N
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 am
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none
Location: Birkenhead Auckland NZ

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks for that reply Andrew. Looks like I'll save my pennies and get some of those there pants'n feet.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Image

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests