Taranaki Classic 2018 - Epicskwid

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:11 pm

The biggest comp of the year an annual event for me and dad now. The gear was packed on Thursday night and we made the 6 hour trip over from Hawkes Bay on Friday the 23rd.

Friday was clear weather until the evening where the heavens opened late afternoon and it didn't stop, heavy heavy rain continued through till saturday
We had a great night out of the rain meeting with kayaking friends from around NZ many faces from Kayak Fishing NZ and NZKFG on facebook.
IMG_1358.jpg
Got all signed up and the comp had been delayed till 12pm the following day , 20 knots of wind was forecast. Great, a sleep in !

DAY 1 - Saturday
The wind and rain was heavy overnight. The ocean was basically whitewater when i took a look in the morning. It wasn't going to stop me from a launch from the port at 12pm to hide from the wind on the south side of the breakwater. With the forecast looking horrific in rain terms. The wet weather gear went on and i got out to find 15 other kayakers doing their best in the small area that was fishable. I was after John Dory along with quite a few others. Live-baits were tough to find as my normal spots were blown out further in the harbour (so i persevered and used spotties. The rain set in very quickly and this wasn't light. It was some of the heaviest i've ever been in.
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.06.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 8.08.40 PM.png

Along with that 3 thunderstorms came through over the 4 hours , the wind also hit 30 knots on the other side of the breakwater. No Dory were landed (one was dropped by a guy who forgot his net) Kahawai made up the catch on live-baits. We all just laughed when the rain got even heavier , packed it up and headed into the beach where the car park was now a river.
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 4.55.09 PM.png
Gear was set to dry and with the forecast being the complete opposite for sunday things were looking up. the wind took till 1am to settle down to 5 knots.

DAY 2
This was the day to do it, 5 knot forecast under a metre of swell great! I headed from the port sneaking round the triathlon (on the coastal walkway) which had blocked the road off making me the only kayaker wide of the port on day 2. I ended up at the ramp at 7.00am and got out after preparing the gear.
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 9.41.22 AM.png
I paddled out to 14m wide of the breakwater the sea had a short lumpy confused swell with minimal wind on the top. I was using dedicated ledger rigs to target a big Gurnard. The fish took their time to show up into my tuna berly, 15 minutes and i had caught a very small grunter, a promising start. I then had a double hook-up on horse Kahawai one of which was a contender for a prize at 2.890kg.
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 9.56.01 PM.png
The morning continued with many kahawai taking the baits, a few missed bites and some small snapper and trevally. Eventually i got a gurnard bite and brought up some decent enough weight , a great eating size Gurnard (580g) got a very quick net shot. A big sigh of relief to get the first one out of the way.
Screen Shot 2018-03-25 at 9.51.40 PM.png

I then caught a smaller carrot that went into the back. Kahawai were stealing the baits pretty constantly, and the sign was showing a few fish hard on the bottom so their were a few around. I had my first time seeing a blue shark as the burley continued to pump out. These were pups and they seemed to be in their plagues. By 11.30 the bite slowed and i had 2 Kahawai and 2 Gurnard in the back.

Time to head in for a last ditch attempt at a JD, much like last year. I got to my spot on the edge of the shipping channel. Pumped the berly hard and had the baitfish feeding. I first got a spotty down on the live-bait rig as quick as possible. I then focused my time into catch Jack mackerel which are the top bait for John Dory. Within 5 minutes i had a big smack on the spotty which took the little bit of line which the dory commonly do. The hook didn't set when i left the the rod to load up . The next 3 spotties did the same thing , All confiscated with no hook-up. By that point i had managed to get some mackerel feeding midwater in the berley. I got one perfect mackerel down
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 5.06.13 PM.png
which got taken very quickly and no hookup once again another 2 mackerel went before i finally hooked something. Another bloody Kahawai! right in the middle of the boat harbour. It wasn't meant to be this year. I have a ton of research to do on JD's if any of your have tips be sure to let me know your thoughts. It's the most frustrating fish i've tried to catch. I got pone in 2016 and another in 2017 (One on a 5/0 Circle, and the other on a 5/0 C Point.) I finished up and got the gear sorted and had a quick wash
IMG_1382.jpg
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
0.82kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 pm

Off to the weigh in!
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 4.49.04 PM.png
Talking to my mates a lot of us had struggled and many people were only weighing in 2 species. Plagues of kahawai had been reported across the coast. Still some people had done well. The top fish were :
Kingfish - 9.07kg
Tuna - (No Albacore weighed) 3.66kg
Snapper - 10.44kg
Kahawai - 3.33kg
Gurnard - 0.91kg
Trevally - 2.72kg
John Dory - None were weighed! And i missed a heap of bites!
Blue Cod - 0.74kg
Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 5.07.46 PM.png
None of my fish picked up a prize but good to see a few mates pick up a some placings.
A great event once again even if the weather blew us out on the first day. Me and the wellington boys even had another go to try and secure a feed on monday morning before leaving since the conditions were so nice. Just kahawai again while i made a last ditch attempt at a JD. Not to be i'm afraid. 6 hour trip home and made it back at 7.30pm.

Cheers guys :y:
A few more photos below of the sounder:
Gurnard:
Dump001.png
Dump001.png (354.33 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Pesky Kahawai:
Dump002.png
Dump002.png (214.59 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Piper up the top, Spotties on the bottom and mackies mixed in:
Dump003.png
Dump003.png (226.86 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Kahawai school nailing a softbait:
Dump004.png
Dump004.png (328.65 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Mackerel !
Dump005.png
Dump005.png (489.55 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Look out for the video in the near future too !
Attachments
IMG_1387.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
0.82kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 am

What a fantastic trip report! Great photos :y:
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:59 am

AWESOME TR :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 am

Looks like a good time despite the crappy weather.

I'll have to drag myself away from Narrow Neck and start doing some of these.

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Great report mate, love the sounder shots. I am going to fish that comp next year.

• Information