AKL Harbour Bridge 7 March

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 am

Dawn, only one to bring home, a fat little 35cm. Thousands of nippers, lost another good one, but one for my dinner, good that...

VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Ooh - a hundred posts, do I get a free jet ski?

On a more serious note, I was happily fishing away in the early morning, when what sounded like a cannon shot came from the bridge.

Looking over, I saw a big bus grinding to a halt, near the peak of the span. And there it remained.

So the traffic built up, and up and up.... People in the adjacent lane kept on driving, so only one lane was affected, but stopped it was.

Police car there within 3 minutes.

Two vehicles with flashing lights and men and wtf else, arrive after about 25 minutes, they position themselves behind the moribund bus, and flash their lights. Because no-one could see the giant big bus, parked in the middle of the bridge, without them.

After about 55 minutes, a big-arse tow truck arrives, and the bus is removed more than an hour after it died.

If it were me, in charge of such things, I'd have a flock of tow trucks, big and small, sprinkled about the motorway system every morning and evening at peak times.

Probably cost about the same as the legions of men and their flashing lights and cones vehicles that seem to live every where on our street these days.

Even some of the trucks and so on, already on the bridge, could have shunted the bus over the peak and down to the end of the bridge, hell, some of the 4WDs are prolly capable too.

Back to cones, they must get paid by the cone, not only are there cones up to 1 Km away from the road works near me, but in adjacent streets also, where no road works exist. Dig a hole, you need 14,000 cones for that.

I've seen cones put up outside a house because they were cutting down a tree in the property, not one tall enough to fall on the street, but how can you be an effective council if you haven't got cones everywhere?

Any hoo, I'm just happy I was fishing and not stuck in a car on the motorway.
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 am

Tow trucks in Johannesburg operate in gangs. They call them associations, but if you take a job from another association's member, they'll take you out... So I think it qualifies as gangs.

Anyway, these guys do exactly that, they sit around all over the place and at peak times, drive around, looking for accidents or waiting for a phone call. My car broke down once and it was minutes before there were 2-3 trucks on the scene, they had some words about who "the job" belonged to, apparently it's not as clear as who arrives first. And then some more, very serious and very loud words directed at me when I insisted on waiting for the AA. I mean, this guy was blaming me for the fact that he wasted his time getting there so quickly only to find out that I belong to the AA.

Not the ideal situation, but I guess there's more money in towing in South Africa for some reason than there is in NZ.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information