Kawhia Harbour

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Achilles
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:28 am

Had a bit of a lash last Saturday with my 8 year old running co pilot in the Reload. Kawhia Harbour is the closest salt water to my place, and I real feel I need to learn to fish it better. Have had a couple of previous sessions with mixed results - nothing the first time, heap of kahawai the second time.

This trip I paddled across from Kawhia town to the Rakaunui inlet. Launched at mid tide, and fished the inlet with the idea of picking up Snaps as they came up out of the channels and on to the flat at high tide. I caught nothing, not even a single nibble, using a several different Soft bait options, including a nice looking shrimp imitation. My young fella hooked and landed his first ever gurnard, a nice fatty at 41 cm. I was stoked I brought him!!! It was the only bite he had as well, but at least he converted it!
Liam Gurnard.jpg
The paddle home was bloody hard work, 5 km back across the harbour into a really strong head wind and quite a bit of chop. Lugging 40 kg of co-pilot improved the physical exercise value of the trip as well. :whew:

So I still haven't made up my mind, but coming around the the idea that I'm probably better to anchor up and bait fish. I've found myself becoming a dedicated soft bait/slow jig fisherman, but I think in really murky/silty environments like this that burley and bait is probably a more sensible plan......dammit!!
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

• Information