Sunday off Beachlands

Go on then, tell us your stories...
mitchfam
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am

Woke up to a cracker of a morning.
Hadn't been out much of late, and when I had those northerly's had been blowing and i struggled to get past the 26-32 cm snappers.
With kids soccer commitments about to ramp up, I needed to go for a fish.
Decided to head out right on dead low and fish the incoming. paddled out to a spot off Shelly bay beach, stopping when I saw some current coming through. Saw another kayaker a bit further out and closer to Flat island and a few boats were around. Conditions were mint. Not a breath of wind, little bait fish swimming around.
Stray lining 6 lb no sinker for a bit of fun and second rod with 10kg sitting in rod holder, mackerel and squid. Constant bites over the 2 hours I was out. Through back anything under 34 ( about 15 of them, but kept one @ 33 which swallowed the hook).
Kept 5 33-40 cm and a nice KY @50. Surprising was the KY virtually just swam up to me after being hooked, no fight whatsoever. I had a real string puller on the light spinning rod and it was a wtf moment when a 32 fat feisty snapper arrived. Was flapping around so much when trying to release it, I scored about 5 spike to the fingers..
It was so nice out that a did a paddle around the cliffs. I counted 13 cliff drops/slips from Te Puru right around to Pine Harbour marina, some of them major ones. Those storms really hit the coast hard. My house might yet be cliff top if this keeps up.
20180225_110144.jpg
20180225_115349.jpg
20180225_110145.jpg

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 am

Good Looking fish :y:
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Nice KY - I caught a goodie and smoked it last weekend - so underrated.

• Information