Beaut day at Makara

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Fishfarmer
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Predator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm

On the weekend I had such a good day at Makara. Sun shining and water calm. Went straight out to the 30m mark and on the first drop I pulled in a good trevalley of 44cm. Then later two snapper of similar size, then a good kahawai, then finally a blue cod.
But what made the day so special for me was the reason I enjoy kayak fishing. Obviously it is for the fishing, but I also especially enjoy the quiet contact with nature.
That day a shark that came to visit. It was a school shark of about a metre, and must have smelt the fish blood draining from the scupper. It was circling my kayak and going right under me. At one point it was right under me and turned its head to look at me, and we looked at each other from 40cm apart. After a while of circling, I grabbed its tail as it went past and pulled it up. Anyway when it swung its head up at me I thought it best to let it go, and it swam off.
Good times!

Bear Jules
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: -

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Fishfarmer wrote:On the weekend I had such a good day at Makara. Sun shining and water calm. Went straight out to the 30m mark and on the first drop I pulled in a good trevalley of 44cm. Then later two snapper of similar size, then a good kahawai, then finally a blue cod.
But what made the day so special for me was the reason I enjoy kayak fishing. Obviously it is for the fishing, but I also especially enjoy the quiet contact with nature.
That day a shark that came to visit. It was a school shark of about a metre, and must have smelt the fish blood draining from the scupper. It was circling my kayak and going right under me. At one point it was right under me and turned its head to look at me, and we looked at each other from 40cm apart. After a while of circling, I grabbed its tail as it went past and pulled it up. Anyway when it swung its head up at me I thought it best to let it go, and it swam off.
Good times!
Sounds like a great day out. Enjoying the break from the rush. Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

• Information