Night raid at Orere

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 pm

With the forecast so great on Friday morning, I couldn't resist popping home to grab my kayak and gear for my first evening fishing trip.

At 4pm I snuck out of the office and headed for Orere Pt. With little traffic because of school holidays I made the trip in a little over an hour. I was a little worried by the constant drizzle on the drive out, but it cleared just as I arrived.

A mad scramble to load up and I was paddling out just after 5:30. I was lucky enough to be joined by Wobley and the Beer Baron. We set ourselves up in about 9m of water.

Initially it was a bit slow and I was worried. I figured there was only a couple of hours of light and I was desperate to get some fish on board. The only thing I managed to achieve in my haste was breaking off the new squidwings lure I bought on Wednesday. Going back to the more familiar softbait had me hooked up to a feisty kahawai that managed to swim around my other lines and drogue. A bit of juggling and a few twists and turns and I was back in the water.

The kahawai was followed quickly by an undersized snapper, which was quickly released without lifting it from the water. As we drifted up the Firth the action kept going in patches. Nothing huge, but good eaters around the 35cm mark.

With dusk approaching I managed another small kahawai that I released before a barracoutta, which bit me off at the side of the yak. Then I had a double hook up which had me scrambling to get one on board before the other escaped.

My sounder was lighting up with fish in midwater and on the bottom so I sent my softbait straight down beside the kayak. As it went down my other rod got hit hard. Grabbing it out of the holder line started pouring off the reel. After a great to and fro fight up popped a nice 57cm snapper! My best from fishing out at Orere.

Darkness was fast approaching so we all packed up and paddled for home in convoy. We had drifted well down past the marker so it was a good 30 min paddle back to the beach arriving in the dark. Someone was having a bonfire on the beach so it made a nice beacon to guide us back.

In all honesty I probably stayed out about 20 mins too long. I didn't have a light source beyond my fish finder backlight (and phone if I got desperate). This is something I plan to fix this week. Fortunately I could stay close to the Baron who kept an eye on me.

All in all it was good fun and something I plan to repeat again coming into summer! Final tally 5 snapper and a big kahawai.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Casualtyward on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 am

Nice one mate

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:39 am

Nicely done....certainly been a while since I was down that part of the world !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:19 am

Magic time of the day to fish! and that's a decent snapper there!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 am

Nice fish mate well done.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 pm

I love a good night fish . They always seem to start biting just as it starts to get dark and your thinking about paddling in !

beerbaron
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Urban camo

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Great night that was, fish are in and kuda about as well? Funny how been told that snapper are vacant with kuda yet we were 1 for 1?
Speaking of which I need another one :beer:
Old Town saloon whiskey swiring electric vibration fish slaying apparatus!

• Information