Mahia - 3 Days of Magic

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:47 pm

The plan was made for a 4 day trip up to Mahia Peninsula for fishing and adventure off my kayak. Couldn't wait to get up there and check out the water and see what species were lurking .

Day 1
We arrived midday to our bach in taylors bay Beautiful Weather no wind!. What a great spot for a base, beach 50 metres in front of the house perfect launch spot too.
I made the plan to paddle out off Taylors Bay and set up a berley trail cast some baits into it. With the gear all on board i set off into the bay and paddled about 1km from the beach to about 13m of water
IMG_0602.jpg
PA010153.JPG
Burley down and rods set up. The first fish to join me were Snapper, a welcome sight! I hadn't caught one since may. A couple of 35ers went into the bin for dinner. Caught on a 4/0 Gurnard Grabber. Pretty soon my 4 inch grub softbait started getting some attention. A small touch and then i felt the line tighten up, i gave it a strike and it was all on. Heavy weight and the first run tore off tons of line. It kept going too making its way towards my anchor, pressure had to be put on it to stop it from wrapping up in the line. Turning the rod side onto the fish I slowed its run down and got the fish under control. The rod was showing signs of heavy tail beats so a big Trevally was what it was looking like. The fish surfaced and i put it into the net at the first opportunity. 2.1kg and 50cm Smashed my PB by a mile.
PA010156.JPG
PA010157.JPG
That went into the chill pod too as i love fresh trevally, i don't catch them often either! As the burley continued working, More Snapper and some large kahawai joined me in the kayak, Both Kahawai smashing the soft-bait on the drop, one of those went into the pod too as it was deeply hooked, After a good first session of about 3 hours i headed in. Clean up time!
PA010159.JPG
That evening i headed down to the beach for a surfcast and to set the crab pot behind the surf, No bites on the baits and i managed to get 4 paddle crabs out of the pot.

Day 2
Awakening to a 25knot Westerly wasn't looking promising, but in mahia there is always a spot out of the wind. Waikokopu was todays plan and we headed over to the lovely wee estuary which is one of the easiest launching spots you will find
DSCN2433.JPG
Structure all along the coast and out of the howling wind. In this spot i had the idea of targeting blue moki, a species which had eluded me for the past few years. So the mussel burley went down, along with a single 4/0 hook baited with mussel on my overhead rod. Once the berley starting picking up i got a small tap on the bait, i gave it a little bit to eat it and wound slowly into the fish, Good weight on the rod and a burst of strength looked promising. To my surprise a big gurnard popped up and i scrambled to get it in the net. 46cm 1.1kg of tasty carrot :rock:
PA020004.JPG
With the wind turning to southwest i was confined to a very small part of the coast. But that didn't stop me trying to pick up a few more fish. i Moved hard up against the reef and pumped the burley hard into it hoping to attract the moki out of hiding, unfortunately none showed themselves. The spotties and small blue cod were plentiful though!
Back to base for a clean up and a feed.

Day 3
Looking out the window in the morning was a great sight. There was 0 wind and no swell, Todays the day to head to the eastern side of the peninsula! Out of the few places you can launch the best spot is Whangawehi, another small estuary which is a very easy launch when the swell is down. The conditions were as good as they get!
PA030011.JPG
I don't know the area very well but i used my sounder to locate some reef along with spotting some floating cray pot buoys. I anchored on the edge of the reef with sand underneath me in almost 20m. Burley deployed once again! The fish around this side were even faster to show up, the first being Kahawai within 5 minutes , and Snapper once again, as most of the Snapper were small i put one fish of 35cm into the bin. The fish was super fast as soon as my baits touched the bottom they were already being smashed. the next major bite came with the smallest of touches , the fish sucked the bait in and i wound into the fish once again, Solid weight and a screaming first run, I don't believe it! another large trevally of around 50cm pops up to the surface :clap: Happy is an understatement
PA030013.JPG
The bites continued and the next good hookup was a telltale gurnard fight and yes ! Grunter into the bin!
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.02.49 PM.png
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
0.82kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

Epicskwid

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:53 pm

With the berley doing its magic i had fish everywhere on the bottom, Fishing with 4/0 ledger and a 3/0 flasher it was doing the damage. Throughout the session i was pulling in Small snapper and some big Kahawai too. The fight on the next fish was different again, headshakes on the bottom and weight then it just came up without a struggle Blue cod!!!! :rock: into the net, unhooked but uh oh he had some thing to say to me, he went crazy flapping about and managed to release himself :swear: Well deserved there cod you did well to get away from the bin. Not to worry though as the cod came on the bite and i was pulling up a few good ones between a few smaller fish, Eventually i had 2 42cm cod in the bin yum yum.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.26.54 PM.png
But even then the different species weren't done, A 35cm Tarakihi pops up. I said out loud you're kidding me! :drunk:
PA030015.JPG
Then another Tarakihi which was about 27cm which went back to grow a bit more.
So on day 3 I landed: Snapper, Kahawai, Gurnard, Blue Cod, Tarakihi, Trevally, School Shark and Barracouta :clap: Very Very Happy.
PA030020.JPG
I Headed in to Shore and did the photo shoot got cleared up and had a feed, the conditions were still lovely on the Taylors Bay side so i shot out mid afternoon and managed another blue cod for the table just before dinner. And thats it! The fishing was done , i caught many great eating species had a blast getting covered in fish , berley and bait and paddling a combined total of over 10km from the days fished.

A Huge Thanks goes out to
Mum and Dad Whiting for bringing me along for the Holiday
(Dad putting in the hard yards to help get me onto the water)
Black Magic Tackle
Steven from Swollo It Bait and
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm

man thats really awesome. :y:
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Thats a solid effort a great mixed bag and a bloody good TR mate, keep them coming :y:

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Excellent stuff, well done! If I was catching fish like that when I was your age, I would have thought that I'd died and gone to heaven :rofl:

shad
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 3124

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Well done mate , great fishing :y: :y:
Prowler 4.3

Achilles
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Mate, you are killing it. Great report. Awesome range of species. I worked in Wairoa for a few years as a young fella and spent a bit of time fishing the peninsula from the shore, but never had a hit rate like that. Nice! Like you say, great spot in that there is always somewhere you can tuck out of the wind.
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Awesome work, Epic. Well worth the wait for the report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Awesome work Blair huge gurnard and 50cm trevs fight hard. You guys must have eaten very well after that lot. We are coming down to Napier tomorrow till sunday. Im not fishing but will be going for a few runs past the Port so will keep an eye out for yakkers.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 am

Wow magic trips like that stay with you a long time and that's a beauty all right .
Thanks for sharing mate absolutely brilliant fishing skills on your part too and great to hear of the family participation .
Had a few dive and family trips there many moons ago but havn't been there since getting into kayak fishing and sure looks tempting .

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 am

Thats awesome work, thanks for sharing. Really nice to be able to take a few day s out to hit the water when you please. fantastic mixed bag and looks like a great place for a paddle.

Luke 1
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm

You must be stoked with the Trevs :y: :y: Great trip report.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Nice work, looks like a mean as few days! :y:

Epicskwid

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Cheers for all the kind words guys, Certainly will be back!
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton

Murdoch