Big Day

Go on then, tell us your stories...
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

Woke up at 4:15 yesterday morning and headed out to Kawakawa bay. The Waitawa Park gate only opens at 6:00am, so I drove on past to Kawakawa bay boat ramp, but with my compulsory toilet stop and whatnot, I only launched at 6:30 anyway.

What a lovely morning!!! Inside the bay was flat as a mirror. I had wanted to go to Tarahiki Island (called shag rock, I think) for a long time and this time I had an extra 5L of fuel with me and set out on the 19km trip. With the shape of the XL's hull and my particularly heavy body, I don't feel comfortable going too fast, so I was traveling at 8-9kph

Had a lure and at times a softbait out for a big part of the trip, but no interest on that at all. About one hour away from the island I was sick of sitting on the kayak with no activity and I saw a little corner with lots of rocks sticking out that looked like it would hold some fish, so decided to give that a go. Well... what a magic spot!!! First softbait hadn't reached the bottom before it started running away at speed. I thought it was a big snapper, but as it got closer to the top, the line movement was way to sporadic and with long sideways movements it had to be a kahawai and next minute it was confirmed when a massive fish jumped out of the water. One of those donkeys that look a little bit like a bass because of the fat , bulky throat / upper body. Anyway, one or 2 more jumps and it was off.

Not to worry, I threw that line back in and while I was placing the second rod in the rod holder, the first rod went off again. Not massive, but a nice 38cm snapper popped up. Didn't take long and I had bagged another 3 snapper with the largest one going 42cm and released a whole bunch of 34cm ones. Then another big kahawai and I imagine that's the biggest kahawai I've landed ever. I carry two of those $5 Countdown cooler bags with me, but of course this fish wasn't going to fit in there. So off to the side to get out my larger Precision bag from the front of the kayak. By now I had 4 snapper, but none of them particularly large, so I thought I'd do the last bit of traveling to the island. Got to the island and caught another 36cm snapper, but the wind was coming around Waiheke island and I was drifting just a little bit too fast to my liking for a place with lots of rocks sticking out, so decided to return to the other spot.

Back at the other spot I caught my last 2 snapper and had a number of fights with some large kahawai, but only managed to land one more of them. I need to work on my netting skills, because I lost a few of them right next to the kayak while trying to net them. Probably need the gaff on these larger models. I know of a lot of you don't like kahawai, but I'm quite happy with them and would have kept anything I could land to help fill up the freezer.

Anyway, I managed a total of 7 snapper and 2 kahawai. Not a bad haul for me! My wife is much better at filleting than I am, but I paid $18 at Papakura Fish Market to have the 9 fish filleted and she even said it's worth the money. Big effort filleting 9 fish when you're not that good at it and we got a lot of meat off these 9 fish. 6 of us ate dinner last night and there was as much cooked fish left as what we'd eaten. Plus I've got 4 packets of FOM-sized (I eat for 2 adults) meals in the freezer.

Just before I left the carpark a lady came up to my window and let me know that the pilot wheel for the trailer was still down. Very kind of her, but I wish she'd come to my house that morning and warned me then :y: I hadn't changed the position of the pilot wheel at Kawakawa bay, so must have driven the 30kms from home with it down...Something new to remember.

All in all a great day !!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Blazer60
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 am

Magic day, nice work. :y:
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am

Nice. I find a little gaff easier for kahawai from the yak.

Here is a picture of the one I made: -
20160409_133158.jpg
20160409_133158.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 762 times
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm

pretty quiet day then mate :y:

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Cheers fellas
MikeAqua wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:56 am
Nice. I find a little gaff easier for kahawai from the yak.
Yep, got one in the back of the kayak - just not very used to using it or remembering to use it.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Great result !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Stinky inky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 am

Always enjoy reading your TR's FoM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Babylonian proverb
So fish more you will live longer....

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

Luke 1
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Nice catch. I'm with you on the kahawai, tastes good to me and fight harder than snapper. :beer: :y:

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Great report! Well done. Good to hear the snapper are in close.

Doubie
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:45 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:Woke up at 4:15 yesterday morning and headed out to Kawakawa bay. The Waitawa Park gate only opens at 6:00am, so I drove on past to Kawakawa bay boat ramp, but with my compulsory toilet stop and whatnot, I only launched at 6:30 anyway.

What a lovely morning!!! Inside the bay was flat as a mirror. I had wanted to go to Tarahiki Island (called shag rock, I think) for a long time and this time I had an extra 5L of fuel with me and set out on the 19km trip. With the shape of the XL's hull and my particularly heavy body, I don't feel comfortable going too fast, so I was traveling at 8-9kph

Had a lure and at times a softbait out for a big part of the trip, but no interest on that at all. About one hour away from the island I was sick of sitting on the kayak with no activity and I saw a little corner with lots of rocks sticking out that looked like it would hold some fish, so decided to give that a go. Well... what a magic spot!!! First softbait hadn't reached the bottom before it started running away at speed. I thought it was a big snapper, but as it got closer to the top, the line movement was way to sporadic and with long sideways movements it had to be a kahawai and next minute it was confirmed when a massive fish jumped out of the water. One of those donkeys that look a little bit like a bass because of the fat , bulky throat / upper body. Anyway, one or 2 more jumps and it was off.

Not to worry, I threw that line back in and while I was placing the second rod in the rod holder, the first rod went off again. Not massive, but a nice 38cm snapper popped up. Didn't take long and I had bagged another 3 snapper with the largest one going 42cm and released a whole bunch of 34cm ones. Then another big kahawai and I imagine that's the biggest kahawai I've landed ever. I carry two of those $5 Countdown cooler bags with me, but of course this fish wasn't going to fit in there. So off to the side to get out my larger Precision bag from the front of the kayak. By now I had 4 snapper, but none of them particularly large, so I thought I'd do the last bit of traveling to the island. Got to the island and caught another 36cm snapper, but the wind was coming around Waiheke island and I was drifting just a little bit too fast to my liking for a place with lots of rocks sticking out, so decided to return to the other spot.

Back at the other spot I caught my last 2 snapper and had a number of fights with some large kahawai, but only managed to land one more of them. I need to work on my netting skills, because I lost a few of them right next to the kayak while trying to net them. Probably need the gaff on these larger models. I know of a lot of you don't like kahawai, but I'm quite happy with them and would have kept anything I could land to help fill up the freezer.

Anyway, I managed a total of 7 snapper and 2 kahawai. Not a bad haul for me! My wife is much better at filleting than I am, but I paid $18 at Papakura Fish Market to have the 9 fish filleted and she even said it's worth the money. Big effort filleting 9 fish when you're not that good at it and we got a lot of meat off these 9 fish. 6 of us ate dinner last night and there was as much cooked fish left as what we'd eaten. Plus I've got 4 packets of FOM-sized (I eat for 2 adults) meals in the freezer.

Just before I left the carpark a lady came up to my window and let me know that the pilot wheel for the trailer was still down. Very kind of her, but I wish she'd come to my house that morning and warned me then :y: I hadn't changed the position of the pilot wheel at Kawakawa bay, so must have driven the 30kms from home with it down...Something new to remember.

All in all a great day !!
Well done FatherOfMany. Sounds like a productive day

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:16 am

Well done FOM. A good day.

Re: filleting - I'm good, but I'm slow. A 60cm snapper takes me 14 minutes to get boneless, skinless fillets, I timed it! This alone is a reason not to bring too many fish home :)

• Information