Tongoio Hawkes Bay 13-8

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:15 pm

The forecast was for NW winds so me and dad headed up the coast looking at Aropoanui then Waipatiki, both were looking not that good as the wind was still holding at North. A launch at Tongoio was the backup plan. Headed out not too far offshore because it was still a strong wind, but the sea was comfortable in close,
Water clarity was the best i've seen in months. Found a reef in about 6m of water and set the burly, throughout the morning i landed Kahawai up to 2kg, Blue cod to 30cm, and all sorts of other species.
P8130013.JPG
P8130015.JPG
P8130016.JPG
The bite went dead and with dinner in the pod , i headed in where i avoided a turtle in the big dumpers which frequent the area. :whew:
Back on the beach i chucked the surfcaster out while we were packing up the gear, baited it with some paddle crab. There was a big hit on the rod but it didn't stick or so I thought... We had finished packing up the kayaking gear and i picked up the rod. Theres weight there... the line started to angle down the beach and and a rig / Smoothhound appeared in the surf, a 5 minute battle to beach it ensued and after 3 attempts at grabbing its tail i had it! And it was way bigger up close than i thought. 8.8kg it ended up on the scales. Bit of a bonus after only landing a kahawai for dinner off the yak.
IMG_0459.jpg
P8130019.JPG
Special Thanks to Dad for carting me there and taking the photos
Cheers guys
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Brilliant trip and catch , well done . Making me a bit homesick I spent many happy years diving and fishing around there. If you want plenty of lead sinkers go snorkeling around off flat rock on a good day (some viz. ) and make sure no surf casters chucking more at ya . The ledges parallel with the shore have heaps where they snag and break off.
Cheers

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Great trip report. Pretty cool catching a fish like that on a surf rod while packing up your kayak. That's dedication to the cause :y:

shad
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 3124

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Well done mate :y: , surf-cast off that beach a few years back when we worked at the Power station
Prowler 4.3

• Information