AN Aussie Mid Winters tale of squid ,snapper and seriolas

Go on then, tell us your stories...
yakkingbrendon
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 am

As AJ and Andrew Rawlson have commented about fishing in WA it can be feast or famine and since march for me its been the latter.... until yesterday !

The story of yesterdays trip actually started about a month ago When Yakyakker and I headed out to a spot we rarely fish on a freezing cold winters morning to chase snapper and possible Samson Fish .
To cut a long story short we had the discouraging experience of watching a boat anchored up and berleying get their 4 fish boat limit of 80ish cm snapper and couple of big WA Salmon whilst we caught nothing of note even though we could see the fish on the side scan . I cycled through all my normal soft plastics and eventually resorted to bait which ended up with me catching wrasse .
Paul who fishes a lot with lures is still a big fan of fresh caught squid for Samsons and Snapper and has converted me as well who never used to fish bait . We resolved to return with fresh squid ASAP .

The following weekend I made a specific trip to our local squid grounds and picked up nine squid, eight of which were bait size and one which is my new PB .

Also on the water was Ray Latham taking his Wilderness Systems 135 Radar pedal yak out for its maiden voyage .

Ray was kind enough to let have a very brief test of it which was fascinating . I wont comment on what I thought of it till I can have a longer go with the seat setup to suit me .

Finally on Sunday we managed to get together for the second attempt . On the water with half an hour to sunrise we soon start seeing large schools of fish on the sounders. I have given Paul half of the squid and soon Paul's squid is smashed and after a good fight gets smoked .

A few minutes later I land small under size snapper about 40 cm and then Soon after hook up something that feels like Snapzilla . Lots of head shakes and few short runs initially followed by longer runs taking plenty of line eventually I lose the fish and find the leader rubbed through under the swivel bugger !!!. Paul hooks up again within minutes and lands a solid snapper in the high 70's . I am pretty bloody excited at this stage as its been 3 months since I last caught any thing of note in the ocean and sure enough a few minutes pass and my rod goes off and I soon have a very welcome 67 cm snapper on board .
Another couple of minutes and Paul again gets seriously smoked and now he is calling the culprit a Samson fish . The amount of fish on the sounder in the 6 to 8 m of water we are in is amazing and really looks like the big snapper schools we see in the sounds pre spawn . Shortly after I get huge take almost bashing my knuckles on the PA rails and again it really feels like snapzilla with head shakes and short runs not going far from the yak and then suddenly it lights the burners and its off .Paul yells its definitely a sambo ! and of course its taken my 6 to 8 kg out fit rather than the elephant gun with 50lb braid I had with me specifically for sambos.. after a serious work out that was most likely only 10 mins I get it yak side and yep my first Seriola from the yak which went 14.3 kg and 1.17 m tip You ripper!!!

Paul suffers another smoking and then picks up another ripper of a snapper in the mid eighties range to get his bag limit .
We keep cruising around an area of broken ground about the size of a soccer pitch and soon find fish again .

Still hoping for a second snapper I have another good hook up and after a short fight this time as its on my heavy rod I have another Sambo on board maybe 80cm long . Damn this is fun !

back you go buster I need room for snapper .
Second Sambo of the day

Its now getting on in the morning and I am thinking of heading in to catch some squid and get my fish on ice and say to Paul "no snapper within ten minutes we go " seconds later its on again on the lighter outfit . A good scrap and up pops this Samson about the same sizes as the second.

its mid morning by now and we are still seeing heaps on the sounder and after a couple of rat sambos we run out of time and bait and head in for a half hearted squid session but nothing happening on that front .
Back on the beach it was fun to hear one of the gawkers say she had been told earlier that there is no way those yakkers out there will catch anything ...

The Samson was filleted out and wont be wasted . The bottom two snapper are Pauls .

Definitely the best day I have had fishing around Perth .Thanks to Paul for going out of his way to help me tick these off my wish list.
Cheers Brendon

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 am

Wow !...incredible... absolutely awesome !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

bas
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6994

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:15 am

Those are some nice fish! Interesting to see how it goes on the other side of the ditch.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Wow that's an awesome day out there!!

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks Brendon. Awesome report and interesting reading. What are those sambos like to eat?

yakkingbrendon

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:15 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:53 pm
Thanks Brendon. Awesome report and interesting reading. What are those sambos like to eat?
Errrrm ...... I don't eat fish...but do eat squid which I use to catch fish...crazy eh?
Any how to answer your question they are fine so long as they are not infested with a tiny parasite that turns the flesh to mush when cooked . My mate Tuckers has eaten a few recently and they are good for things like fish curry I am told .
Cheers Brendon

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:27 am

yakkingbrendon wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:15 am
Errrrm ...... I don't eat fish...but do eat squid which I use to catch fish...crazy eh?
Any how to answer your question they are fine so long as they are not infested with a tiny parasite that turns the flesh to mush when cooked . My mate Tuckers has eaten a few recently and they are good for things like fish curry I am told .
Cheers Brendon
Like my hunting mate who is a vegetarian :rofl:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Nice Snaps and those Sambos look like they would put up a good scrap . :y:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

That's a great day and a great feed, thanks for sharing!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:30 am

Bloody nice TR mate :y:

Trini
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: not yet

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 pm

enjoyed that TR. I'm moving over to Perth in Jan and thought there wasn't much point to bringing the kayak with me. this report has me rethinking that :!:
Trini

OK Prowler Ultra 4.3

Snapper PB 54cms (2.7Kgs or ~6lbs in old money) ,56cms no wait 59cms now!
more awaited...
Still waiting on the day I catch a +60cm model.....

yakkingbrendon

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:26 pm

Trini wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:53 pm
enjoyed that TR. I'm moving over to Perth in Jan and thought there wasn't much point to bringing the kayak with me. this report has me rethinking that :!:
Hi Trini heaps of Kayak fishing in Perth and we do a number of trips further afield .The local kayak crew is at www.yakfishwest.com or Yakfishwest on face book if you have any issues singing up PM me as I am an admin. If you are on Instagram check out #Yakfishwest.

Next two months is our big snapper run in metro area .

Please look me up when you get to Perth and we will get you on the water .
Regards Brendon

ajst2duk

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 am

Great report Brendon - I've yet to hit pay dirt here aside from hooking up on a sailfish up north on 4kg line class. I'm going to give it a crack at this weekends fishing comp and I've just committed to an early Oct Abrolhos trip so hopefully I'll have some reports. I've really enjoyed the yakking crew over here - great bunch - and Brendon I would have to call you out as one of the most passionate and committed yakkers. On a final note - I've never seen so many hobies in my life !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just fishing and stuff
Kayak PB's
Snapper 87cm
Kingy 115cm
Now yakking in amazing W.A.

• Information