Tuateawa 10.06 and Kennedy Bay 17.06

Go on then, tell us your stories...
bas
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6994

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

Tuateawa 10.06

Reading the thread on winter boots was a timely reminder for me that I also do not suffer cold wet feet well. So I got on the web and started looking around for what options were available on short notice (Thursday). I called two Canoe and Kayak stores who were advertising the Hiko Wade X boots but didn't have any in store. However they could order them in, with no guarantees that they would be in on Friday. I also phoned Fergs Kayaks but they couldn't offer any help aside from suggesting surfing shoes. As I already used dive booties I didn't see the improvement.

The last shop I tried was Canoe and Kayak on the shore. While they didn't have any in stock, Olivia, who answered the phone promised to call the supplier to see if they could have them in by Friday. Within half an hour Olivia called saying that they would have two pairs in store on Friday to try.

Friday morning I got the call that they had arrived so headed over to try them on. Olivia brought the boots out along with a pair of shark skin socks to try them with. I had planned to use a pair of woollen but ended walking out the store with new gloves, boots and socks. So excellent service and a good up sell from Olivia! :)

I have a little scheme going whereby if my wife doesn't want to join the kids and me at the bach, I invite a backpacker to come. In return for minding the kids while I go fish they get accommodation, food and access to a beautiful part of NZ. This weekend my offer was taken up by a couple from the UK, Jen and Dean. Dean is mad on fishing so Jen offered to mind my kids while we went out (how is that for true love?).

We have a Viking 2+1 kayak spare so offered that to Dean with the warning that it paddles like a bus. Saturday morning we set off, I decided to launch from Tuateawa as there was no swell but a south westerly blowing. I was hoping to find some shelter from the wind and it's a short trip to where we can hope to find some fish.

We paddled out to one of my spots and was quickly rewarded by two gurnard with Dean catching a third that he returned. We then moved to another spot where Dean got a nice snapper and I caught an undersized one. That was my luck for the day, but Dean caught a further 5 snapper on a flasher jig. He returned those as they were undersized as well.

By 14:15 is was time to turn back, as the wind had gotten stronger. This is where the difference between the reload and the 2+1 really became noticeable. The lower, narrower and longer hull of the reload gave a clear speed advantage for less effort.

Back to the boots, while they didn't manage to keep my feet dry they kept them warm for the five hours that we were on the water. And to be fair, as we all know kayaks are a wet environment, you have to stand in the water to launch and retrieve, I hang my feet over the side at times for balance and to stretch my legs so short of a full body drysuit, nothing will keep you 100% dry. In my opinion they plus the socks were money well spent.

ImageDean against the wind.

ImageBack on land.

ImageDinner sorted

bas

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Kennedy Bay 17.06

One thing that I have noticed is that each part of the Coromandel seems to have it's own weather pattern. You look at the weather forecast for Whitianga and it's nothing like what is happening locally. Or you've had a dry day on the east coast only to see wet roads on the west side on the drive home...

This weekend was again like that, the forecast was for clouds and showers instead we got clear sky, no wind and glassy ocean...

I launched at about 10:30 and decided to troll to the south side of the bay, in the past this is where I have been most successful with kahawai. On one rod I had a blue waxwing and the other a blue Rapala. I had been given this lure by a French/Finnish friend who used to fish with them with his granddad in Finland. So I was keen to use it to land a fish for him. In the last few months I hadn't had a lot of luck with it so I also replaced the nylon that was on the reel with 30lb thin braid. This made a difference as today you could see the vibrations in the rod from the lures action as I paddled.

Of course as my luck would have it I went south and the work ups started to the north by the mussel farm. Nothing massive but a steady diving of the birds and surface flicking from the fish. So I changed course and headed in that direction. I tried to see where the fish were headed but there wasn't a big group, just a lot of small localised spots. So I just headed straight to the farm. I quickly caught a kahawai on the Rapala which I returned, hoping for a bigger fish:

I then got one on the waxwing which I lost as it jumped out of the water.

The next strike on the Rapala landed me two fish:

But they were foul hooked, I was beginning to see why people don't like the triple hooks. After a forth fish on the Rapala that was foul hooked I decided to stop trolling it. By this time I was at the mussel farm so cast out a softbait hoping for some snapper. Instead I caught another two small kahawai, causing me to decide to move to my first planned spot.

There I hooked on to a gurnard but nothing else. I tried different lures with no results, aside from dropping my measure over the side. turning round to grab my net, I hooked on to a triple hook! So a valuable lesson learned and on Monday I brought some single hooks to use instead.

From there I moved to the middle of the bay which again returned no results. I stayed there for half an hour before moving to my last spot. There I found the fish with one greedy keeper who took my lure on the drop but I had run out of time as I needed to be back on the beach by 15:00.

Still a great day on the water, with a fish for dinner to go with the pizza :)

Sunday morning I planned to head out again, but when I got up at 05:00 I couldn't face putting on my wet, cold wetsuit...

kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Any day outs better than a day home thanks for the post :y:

bas

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Tuateawa (01.07.17)

So I've been looking at the Navionics maps on my phone to find some new spots to try and for this trip I had set my mind on the drop-off at Tokaroa Rock out from Tuateawa. To make sure that I got there by first light, I left the property at 04:55, half way there I realise that I left my ice and drinking water at home... Keeping in mind that you only really miss something if you don't have it with you, I had to turn around. This meant that I didn't get to the beach until 05:30.

On the way I'd noticed that the wind was quite robust, but since it was an easterly I wasn't too concerned. (Once I'd bumped into one of the locals on the beach who'd commented that it was an easterly so all the old boys would be out fishing. Hoping that I'd picked up some local fishing wisdom I asked him if the fish were more active in an easterly? No, he replied, it means that if the motor breaks down start they'll get blown back to shore). By 06:00 after fighting a hoard of insects flying around my face, attracted by my torch I hit the water. There was a little swell but nothing to be concerned with (or so I thought).

First lesson for the day, while my torch was perfectly suitable for gearing up and launching, once I was on the water, I quickly noticed that it didn't extend much further than the bow of my kayak! This resulted in me nearly beaching my self on the reef at the edge of the bay. This quickly lead to the second lesson, that reef that I nearly beached on, is actually a very good barrier against the 1-2m swell that was just on the other side!

Not easily deterred I pointed my bow into the waves and wind and started paddling and learnt the third lesson, on a overcast predawn morning, there are no land marks to navigate on. There were some lights from houses, but they just give the barest of indications of where the shore is and nothing to judge movement by. So after 15min of paddling I had no idea if I was going in the right direction and how far I'd gone. Fortunately I had the Navionics app on my phone which showed that I was about 1km off the beach but not quite headed in the right direction. So I was making progress but to be honest I was out of my comfort zone. The wind and swell I could handle fine on a normal day, but the darkness just added that bit extra to tip me over. Alas I was just about to learn my forth lesson; with no landmarks to guide you back to shore you're stuck on the water until dawn brings enough light to guide you home.

So at 06:30 I decided to deploy the drogue and sit this one out. Lesson five: in rough weather always take the time to ensure that all your lines are clear. In my case the drogue line was caught in one of my rod leashes which resulted in it setting at kayak on an angle to the waves. After one wave almost turtles me I make the decision to retrieve the drogue and try again.

With the drogue properly set and the kayak pointing in the right direction I decide that since I have an hour till dawn, I might as well throw a line overboard. First I drop a Shimano Lucanus jig over and then cast my softbait. With a strike (unsuccessful) on my first cast, all my earlier concerns were immediately forgotten!

I quickly managed to land two snapper on the jig but when a wave broke over the back of the kayak and me, it was time for my final lesson: know when to call it quits. Fortunately the sun was now up and the trip back was an easy paddle across the swell, so back on the beach by 08:00. It's days on days like this that I am thankful to have paid the extra and gotten a dedicated branded fishing kayak like the Reload.

So end of the day, two fish caught, seven lessons learnt (listen to the marine forecast!) and another story to tell.

bas

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:26 pm

Tuateawa, The Return (08.07.17)

Some (my wife) would say I am stubborn and slow to learn. But I was determined to give Tokaroa Rock a go. This time however I came prepared to up my game somewhat. On Wednesday the new Burnsco catalogue came out and in it was the moment I'd been waiting for.. Garmin sounders are on sale! So on Friday I made a quick trip to the store and walked out with a Garmin 45cv (I decided that the Garmin 55cv took too much space on the tackle pod), battery and charger.... plus some new jigs... :$

Friday night we get to the bach and I hit the sack at 02:00 after installing the fishfinder... Up at 05:30 and on the beach at 06:30. This time I did read the marine forecast but a couple of waves breaking on the rocks almost had me turning back... Still I took a chance and was on the water by 07:00 and set off for Tokaroa Rock. The forecast swell was for about a meter but it felt a lot less, and there was barely a breath of wind (it was set to come up around mid day, but that didn't happen). About half way there something interesting showed on the sounder so I set the drogue and dropped my lines. My first fish was an undersized snapper, the next was a nice fat blue cod, a first for me. I wasn't 100% on the legal size, but at 38cm I figured that there was a good chance it was legal, so in the bag it went.

Around this time I also got a visit from a trio of locals:

Alas they were more interested in their own breakfast than having a chat so by the time I had pulled my lines and drogue in I had lost sight of them. So I continued on to my original destination. Coming close to Tokaroa rock, I picked a spot and set up. Here I managed to land my first snapper, which at 55cm is a personal best for me. I caught another snapper which was barely legal so I threw it back. From there I moved on to find a reef that I had read about on another forum, but on my way over I saw a nice arch on the sounder so I quickly stopped and dropped a jig overboard which was immediately hit by a nice snapper before it could reach the bottom!

At this point I should add that I was reading some advice on the Viking website which recommended mounting road holders straight up at the front of the kayak. This was a eye opener for me, immediate access to the rods allowed me to set-up so much faster, and it really paid off! Unfortunately it was at this point that I also lost one of my sliders... and trying to softbait in 30m of water just wasn't working for me, even with a heavier weight so I turned back to the shore where there are a couple of nice rocks popping out of the water. At the first one nothing was showing on the sounder and it was still 30m to the bottom so after a couple of casts I moved to the second.

It was still 28m down, but there was some sign showing which ended with several snapper of which I kept two before I decided it was time to head home. Paddling back I passed lots of sign that looked like bait fish and was rewarded with lots of bites but nothing landed. To finish I trolled two waxwings on the way home and was rewarded with one kawahai. By 13:15 I was back on land ready to begin the exercise of lifting the kayak over the stones at Tuateawa beach.

Final tally, four snapper, a blue cod and kawahai:

That night I lightly covered the cod in flour and fried it in a generous helping of butter... Hands down one of the best fish I've tasted! All in all the day has been my best on the water so far!

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:03 pm

Nice work have seen some good kings come out of that area too.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Nice TR mate, haven't fished there since ages ago :^)

bas

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Downtown wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:03 pm
Nice work have seen some good kings come out of that area too.
Thanks, that's going to be my next goal. I've seen them out snorkelling by the reef at little bay but most of my gear is probably too light for a kingfish so I'm in the process of correcting that. Just sorted a rod so now I have to decide on a reel.

bas

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 pm

awondering wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 pm
Nice TR mate, haven't fished there since ages ago :^)
Thanks, many of the fishermen with longer experience in the area have been saying that there has been a decline in the number and quality of fish caught. From my own experience I'm not catching whopper fish, but most of the time I'm able to catch a feed for the evening. But best of all I get to enjoy the water and encounters with the wildlife. Seen sharks, penguins, kingfish, now dolphins so next on the list is a whale.

Blazer60
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Nice read and some nice pics. :y:
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

bas

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 pm

After another two weekends stuck in Auckland with my daughters gymnastics I finally managed to get back up to the Coromandel. The weather forecast was for 20 knot winds and showers, but when I woke up to a cloudless, windless morning I figured they got it wrong and hit Tuateawa beach. The frost on the seat of my kayak was a bit of an ominous sign, as was the car showing an outside temperature of 3 degrees...

Undeterred I was on the water by 08:00 with a steady south west breeze pushing me to my destination. I quickly found promising sign on the sounder so doubled back and set up my first drift. After a few casts I managed to get a 45cm snapper that took my lure on the drop. After that I was getting a lot of lost baits as the tails were getting bitten off. The steady drift from the wind was making it difficult for me to stay in contact with the softbait so packed up and moved on around the point hoping to find some shelter from the wind. I also reasoned that the shallower depth would mean better softbaiting.

Here I landed 34cm blue cod that went back and lost two hooks and nearly my slider to the foul. So it was time to move back to deeper water to a spot where I'd had success previously. At this stage I see a group of gannets diving some 300m ahead of me, so I set off in their direction they weren't there for very long but I still get a bite on my softbait, and as soon as I land that snapper another takes the static line, so I ended up with two fish in the net.

Next stop was to try another spot that I had been looking at, Navionics was showing some good contour lines so I was keen to give it a go. On the way there I came across this sonar image that was so perfect that it looked to be in demo mode:

Here you can see me try to double back, and like a complete plonker drop my lure on the wrong spot:

My drift did take me over this spot though where I landed a good sized kahawai, but if anyone could help decipher the image I'd appreciate it, I think its a school of baitfish with kahawai around them:

Finally I got to my spot:

Here I hooked up on a snapper as soon as I dropped the slider down. So I paddled back, hooked up again on the slider pretty much as soon as it went down. At this stage I gave up on the softbait and replaced it with a jitter bug, paddled back and got a bite straight on the drop. So three drifts on the same spot with three 40cm fish.

By now it was 12:45 and I had said I'd be back at 14:00 so with a paddle back into a headwind, it was time to pack up. Once again I was glad to have a proper boat for the job, while I can't be certain how strong the wind was, my normal cruising speed is 6-7kph and today there were times when it dropped to 3.5kph against the wind.

My final catch for the day, six snapper, one 34cm the others 40-45cm:

• Information