Whale Island

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Achilles
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 am

Had a free day on sunday, was planning on heading for Rogers Road, but when I arrived just before day break the waves were a bit bigger than I'd hoped for. Kept on heading along the coast, and had a really easy launch through the Whakatane river mouth (well protected from the North East swell).

No bites on the softbaits and no action on the fish finder fishing around the heads after an hour or so. I have been thinking about paddling to Whale for a while, so I decided to have a crack. 20 km round trip, which is a bit further than I have ventured before, and I had an eye on the stiff offshore breeze, but the forecast was for the wind to drop right off. I bought an IC-M25 radio a couple of mouths ago which I have been really happy with and I never go anywhere without my PLB, so I was feeling okay about paddling there and back. I've just become a member of Coastguard too, and it was good to keep up to date with their forecasts and keep in contact during the trip.

Checked a couple of spots on the way out, but couldn't get anything interested.

Once I hit the island, it was really cool seeing the seals out there, and the place was infested with penguins which made it a nice place to fish. Passed over a couple of gently bubbling geothermal vents - the bubble screen had my fish finder glazed over for a bit! I wasn't sure what effect all the seals would have on the fishing, but I got a small kahawai right beside the seal colony. I drifted along the shoreline a couple of hundred metres and then the fish finder lit up. First couple of snapper I caught were a bit little. One undersize and a couple just under 30 cm, so they all went back. Got a couple at around 35 cm for the bin after that and then a heap of kahawai. I put most of the kahawai back, just kept a couple of tasty smaller ones. I felt like I was just starting to dial the fish zone in, when I realized time was getting away on me a bit.

The wind had dropped away nicely as predicted, so the paddle back was stunning. I heard on the radio that there was a pod of Orca that had been seen at Matata, heading in my direction, but I didn't see them - would have been amazing! Trip back took about 90 minutes of steady steaming, and then the river entrance was mint. So all in all it was a great trip. Not quite as many snapper as I had hoped for, but plenty for a couple of feeds for the family. Really enjoyed pushing the distance a bit, and the scenery was awesome too. Keen to go back! Maybe a beach launch next time depending on the swell.
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 am

Sounds like an awesome day, seeing those orca would have made it perfect, never mind maybe next time. What was your average speed coming back.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:41 am

Sounds like a big trip and something different for a change. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

We circumnavigated whale from Whakatane for the ebop comp - what a stunning place !!!

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Achilles

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:54 am

Cowboy - I'd say I averaged around 6 kph, maybe just a touch under. I don't think I'm the fastest paddler at the best of times, but I was trying to keep up a steady speed that would allow me enough gas in the tank just in case the river entrance got tough.

I'm turning 40 next year, and I'm doing a feasibility study into paddling to Mayor Island, so if I decide I'm definitely going to do it, I'm going to want to log some serious kilometres!
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

riverboater
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 400 2+1

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:51 am

Well done, its a fairly big paddle out there.
it was hard fishing on Sunday. I was in the boat and found it very slow, a few workmates found it hard going too on Sunday.
Try the raus next time if the surf is low, its much better fishing and 2 km less paddle each way from walkers rd. The foul ground starts a km or so inside the islands. Even from Thornton its closer than whale to whk.

Achilles

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:11 am

Hey Riverboater, thanks for the reply and suggestions, they are some good looking little rocks, and like you say, within easier striking distance. I'm keen for a look. So much water....so little time!
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Cool cheers Im trying to get an idea of what I should be aiming for when I do big paddles. I've done 10/15 km round trips but am looking at increasing it to snag some puka.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Ive often thought about fishing White before , been within a couple of kms before when drift fishing off the heads but always wary of how it can change quickly out there . Well done :y:

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:11 pm

KK you mean Whale Island ? White Island would be a hell paddle ;)

Downtown
Kayak Model: PF440

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Awesome Tr, I'm keen to do some missions to the raus have heard stories about car security at walkers road though.

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Downtown wrote:Awesome Tr, I'm keen to do some missions to the raus have heard stories about car security at walkers road though.
never had an issue with vehicle security at walkers. Some of the track to the beach might be abit soft for the normal car. Might be better to park at Thornton beach. I've thought about paddling out there but Im a lazy paddler. Will do it one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Information