Orere Pt 4 June

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Been busy at work lately so it's been more than a month since I got out on the water. Fortunately with the wind dropping today and a long weekend I managed to score a pass to head out. Even better my paddle buddy also managed a pass so we were fishing together for the first time in a while.

We hit the water at Orere Pt at a gentlemanly 7:30 and headed right past the marker pole. The breeze was a brisk southerly pushing straight up the Firth. Along the way it was kicking up an annoying chop - just enough to make it mildly uncomfortable by throwing the odd splash of cold water over the side.

The plan was to head south a decent distance until we got around 7 metres of water underneath us, then do a long drift towards home.

Hitting our target depth we dropped our drogues and started to drift. Within seconds we were both hooked up to feisty kahawai. A good start to the day and hopefully an omen of things to come...

Not long after I had a solid take on my softbait that powered by upstream turning me around in the process. This created a few nervous moments while I was side on to the chop. Not long after I was happy to see a nice pink snapper come to the surface. Due to the murky water you could only see the fish when they got right to the surface. It was big enough to not need a measure so in the back it went.

The action after this was slow but steady. I got a few undersized models that were released at the side with minimal contact. In between the wee ones I was picking up the occasional legal pannie.

We drifted up over the reef out from the marker and the depth went up to 4.5 m on the lowish tide. I flicked out my softbait again and had a hit just after it landed. The fish let go quickly, but dropping the rod tip saw me rewarded a few seconds later by a screaming drag. This was a similar pattern to other takes through the day where an initial take and drop was rewarded by dropping the lure straight back down. For a while I was losing more line than I was gaining, but with little real structure around I wasn't too worried. Eventually, I made ground and got it up to the surface. Not a real monster, but solid enough and the biggest of the day.

Not long after I had enough for the day so we made the call to head for home. By this stage we were just about level with the car park so it was a relatively short paddle home. It was a bit slower than expected because we were going across the waves causing us to corkscrew a bit. Soon enough we were back on the beach with 10 snapper and a kahawai between us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:36 am

Nice TR Casualtyward.
Casualtyward wrote:Along the way it was kicking up an annoying chop - just enough to make it mildly uncomfortable by throwing the odd splash of cold water over the side.
Not long after I had a solid take on my softbait that powered by upstream turning me around in the process. This created a few nervous moments while I was side on to the chop.
Good description... I think that sounds familiar to all of us, one of those days where you're not sure why you're not wrapped up warmly in front of the TV, but fish are biting.

Casualtyward wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your fingers must work better than mine!!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information