Beachlands Sun 28th

Go on then, tell us your stories...
mitchfam
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Finally got around to getting a new wheel for my trolley ($15 Mitre10, dont know why I didnt do it sooner) and with no kids soccer commitment, not oncall at work, firewood chopped for winter and gardens done, decided to go for a fish.
The sea looked absolutely mint from the top deck, with a few kayaks out already.
Decided to target the outgoing and anchor / berley / strayline at my favourite winter spot a quick 10 minute paddle from the wharf.
Headed out the gate at 8:45 and said hi to green mamba who was out jogging and no doubt still thinking about his sold reload.
It was so nice paddling out (apart from avoiding the many trees and stumps still floating around from the storms), dead calm sea, lots of kahawai jumping out of the water and looked to be plenty of bird life around. Lots of those small black birds (unsure of species ) just sitting on the water or flying in groups of tens or more no more than 6 inches from the water. Amazing how they can head straight for you, then veer off at the last second.
Found my spot, anchored up and deployed burley. Was 30 minutes after high and already had a nice steady current. Watched quite a few kayakers around, all seemed to be softbaiting or trolling, constantly on the move.
Wasnt long before I had a fish on, strong fight, surprised it was only 34 cm. Threw him back and decided to only keep over 35 cm.
Over the next 60 minutes was constant bites and great fishing. I love stray lining baits in late autumn /early winter. Kept 6 snapper (35-45) nothing big but all nice n fat with chunky fillets. Threw back around 10-15 legal under 35cm. Did lose a couple of nice string pullers that werent quite hooked and spat the hook. Fish of the day was a nice 55cm ky, which did not want to be landed giving a great fight, jumping out of the water, thought it was a rat kingie at first.
A couple of kayakers paddled past, quite surprised at my haul having been out a while drifting with only a snap and a ky to show for it.
Back to beach 2 hours after I left.
Fillets for family n friends, smoked the ky and steamed the heads and frames. Smoked fish pie tonight with thai fish cakes tomorrow, yum.
Attachments
20170528_120306.jpg
20170528_105756.jpg

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm

Yip, interesting how strong some smaller models can fight, more often so when trolling for me.

What do you do with the steamed heads and frames., just pick the meat off?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

mitchfam
Kayak Model: Tempo

Wed May 31, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi FOM. Yep, just pick the meat off the frames, the skin off the heads and then the white flesh underneath. Can be time consuming and messy but its amazing how much meat is on the heads, especially the cheeks of the bigger ones. Mixed with potato, egg and a few herbs n spices my wife made a dozen fish cakes from that lot..

noaddedfluff
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 pm

Nice

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
027 248 9449
@noaddedfluff

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 pm

I remember as a kid we used to grill the heads and that cheek meat is really juicy. But I've tried it here with snapper and didnt get much meat off of it. Might try again next time I have a few 50cm+ fish.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload