Kennedy Bay 27.05

Go on then, tell us your stories...
bas
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6994

Mon May 29, 2017 11:44 am

Headed back to the bay for the weekend, weather forecast wasn't the best but since I missed out the last two weekends due to kids sports and other family matters I was keen to try my luck. To make matters worse, my daughter has a gym comp this Sunday so we'll be missing out on the long weekend (who has a sports competition in the middle of a long weekend!).

I use a fishing calander app on my phone that shows me the best bite times based on tides and moon phase and Saturday was looking very promising with the best fishing times being 06:15 to 08:15 and 12:35 to 14:35.

We got to the bach late on Friday evening, so I loaded up my kayak onto it's trailer and put out all my gear and set the alarm for 05:30 then crashed. At 05:30 I woke up to the sound of bucketing rain, so I quickly killed my alarm and went back to sleep :$ I know that fish don't mind getting wet, but lets be honest, I was fooling myself thinking that 45 min was enough for coffee, breakfast, gear up and then get to my fishing spot. Add in sunrise was at 07:15, heading out that early was going to be hard work... so 12:35 became a much more civilised option.

So by 11:00 I was on the water heading out to my first spot. The wind was a light westerly so with the outgoing tide I was able to make 7kph, meaning that it takes me roughly half an hour to get out of the bay. There was a decent swell going (probably 2m at its worst) so I was keen to find some shelter from that.

Normally I actively fish softbaits with one rod and drag a static line with another softbait. After reading about the Shimano Lucanus in the review section I thought I'd give them a go. But once I got to the shop I saw that the Ocean Angler sliders were much the same price and settled on a pair of those instead. (These things truely are designed to hook us as much as the fish!)

So today I set-up one rod with a 60gram burnt banana slider that I dropped off the side till it hit the bottom, followed with a half turn of the reel to take up the slack. And started casting my softbait into the wash. I started off trying a pink and white grub but it wasn't getting any interest, so I swapped to a green and red gub which also was ignored. I finally landed a fish on a yellow and red jerk shard.

To be honest, with the swell I found the softbaiting hard going, my normal practice is to cast out, feed out more line and then pause for a count of ten or so. I'm not fishing deep, 10m at most, so that should get it to the bottom. Then I flick, pause and wind it some, flick, pause and wind. Repeat till it gets to the boat. Today it just wasn't happening, everytime I'd get tension on the line a wave would pick me up, drag the lure and on the drop I'd have to wind in the slack again.

On the slider, however this was working to my advantage, and it wasn't long before I landed my first fish. A 30cm snapper that got returned. I got another two big bites that I both lost and landed two more. The last was just 30cm but at this stage I was drifting very close to the rocks so made the split (selfish) decision to keep it and haul up the lines and get out of dodge!

Of the big bites one behaved oddly it swam up to the surface and away from the boat, even flicking the surface of the water so I got to see a flash of orange before diving straight down again and then it was over, like the fish had just spat out the hook. The second one was a more convertional dive to the bottom and it too seemed to spit out the hook. So any tips on what I could have done differently would be appreciated. Maybe I had too much drag or not enough? I tried to keep the rod butt horizontal and steady and just wind the line in, not lift and wind like I normally do with the softbaits.

After the close(ish) call with the rocks I decided to head out to open water in the middle of the bay. This was going to be hit and miss as I don't have a fish finder and my first stop was a miss after several casts and nothing to show for it. At my last spot I dropped the slider again and changed lures to a new penny squid visious. This was getting a lot more attention and I lost two of them before I landed a fish. Again the swell was making it hard work. I'd feel a bite only to have a drop in the waves make the line go slack as soon as I tried to set the hook! Again the slider paid for itself, landing me my biggest fish at 38cm before I decided to pack it in at 14:40.

After a 40min paddle back against the wind, but assisted by the swell I was on the beach with five snapper ranging from 30 to 38cm. Nothing flash, but delicious that evening. Of the fish I caught six were on the slider, with three throw backs and two on the softbaits.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Good on ya mate, its a nice spot that :y:

AndrewRawlingson

Mon May 29, 2017 12:16 pm

well done and thanks for the TR. slow jigging is certainly addictive, for me anyway. some people find it a bit boring. i do think it is useful when conditions aren't ideal for soft baiting.

UrbanAngler

Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm

heya, what colour is your sliders?

bas

Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

UrbanAngler wrote:heya, what colour is your sliders?
Hi, I have two; one pink/white the other is bruised banana. I was using the bruised banana.

bas

Mon May 29, 2017 2:15 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:well done and thanks for the TR. slow jigging is certainly addictive, for me anyway. some people find it a bit boring. i do think it is useful when conditions aren't ideal for soft baiting.
To be honest it felt a bit like cheating. Drop it over the side and let the swell do all the work. But I can't argue with the results.

And its got me thinking about getting a dedicated slow-jigging set. On Saturday I was using a Shimano Curado on a T-Curve tournament rod and it might have been a bit too whippy in the tip?

AndrewRawlingson

Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

a soft tip certainly seems to be beneficial. it's what the experts say and on the basis of one trip, more bites and more fish sticking once i got used to it. it took a bit of convincing, i don't like soft action rods.

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am

I sold both my softbait set ups and now have 2x Okuma Komodo slow jigs.

At NN I usually find it tough to get both in the water at the same time as I get a holder strike on the 1st one before I can set the 2nd.

On Sunday I must have caught 25 undersized snapper before I got a good feed to take home. (It is definitely slowing down now the water is colder).

I won't give away all my secrets, but:

Orange skirts are excellent.

I tried a Rasta Man on Sunday which worked great. (pink & yellow)

I might get another softbait setup this summer, but slow jigs just catch fish better for me 8)

• Information