River Run - Warning: Non Fishing Post!

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm

After spending the last 6 weeks off the water, decided to get out and grab what was available.
Ended up doing a run down the Kaeo River to the harbour with a few local yakkers.

Great entertainment, although if considering this, leave the glass at home - definitely plastic country.

Started at the Waiare Gorge about 6km (road) south east of Kaeo and wound our way down the valley with a generally docile flow averaging about 6km/Hr I suppose.
Group was mixed experience and made up of two sit ons, and three sea yaks (some amusing moments when the 5+m sea yaks were longer than the river was wide...)

And, they're off! With the Phoenix Hornet taking an early lead :lol:
1.jpg
1.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Not the most fearsome of rivers....
3.jpg
3.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 562 times
DSCF2143a.jpg
DSCF2143a.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 562 times
But it had its moments (This Taniwha accounted for the only swim :lol: )
2.jpg
2.jpg (107.89 KiB) Viewed 562 times
A recent flood-originated willow 'strainer' forced an unplanned portage up a 5m bank and around 30m along the edge of a paddock - all adding to the experience, and making everyone feel intrepid and adventurous, although easily absorbing 30 minutes of planned paddle time.
5.jpg
5.jpg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 562 times
But soon back into the groove as the 30-35kt winds howled overhead, showering us with Poplar leaves in the shelter of the riverbanks
6.jpg
6.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 562 times
We canned the trip before hitting the harbour section as it was clear that the wind was well in excess of forecast, and at enough of an angle to be impossible for the less capable paddlers to continue out of the river. So two made camp on the bank and waited for the remaining three to head for the cars. One bailed after almost getting rolled by a couple of 35kt broadside squalls and headed back. #2 also decided the water was too much for them after another km and headed downwind into shore. Leaving me to continue on with the Hornet.

Can't lie, I had a GREAT time with this bit! Big cresting wind waves, 4 foot clapotis, gale force winds - I absolutely loved it every moment of it :rock: It becomes almost meditative with 100% concentration and technique. I fully expected the CG boat to nip out from the marina so ensured I was demonstrating full control to any concerned onlookers (There's a couple of yakkers rescued from this harbour every year due to the nasty wind/wave conditions that can occur).
Arrived at the cars in good time and had just started getting ready to head back and pick up the other drivers when the A team turned up having hitch-hiked :lol: My TXT advising safe arrival hadn't been received, so a few brows were wiped in relief.

All headed back to the river crew to load up the remaining yaks and off home for a hot/cold beverage and some scoff.

A Most Excellent trip
12km for the river crew, 18 for me
route.JPG
route.JPG (112.48 KiB) Viewed 562 times
If you're up this way anytime and would like to do this trip (Either river section only, or the full Monty) let me know. Better suited to the wetter months as in mid-summer you'll be walking most of the way... Again, definitely not recommended for glass.
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (196.98 KiB) Viewed 562 times
HLD
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Sounds like a load of fun!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

B0ydie
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Sun May 21, 2017 7:17 pm

I've done something similar down the hoteo river just out of wellsford but I took my shotgun with me

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Profish 400

Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Trident 4.3

Sun May 28, 2017 4:21 pm

A good read - Cheers
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3