Reloads maiden voyage at Orere point 03May

Go on then, tell us your stories...
codmaster
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Working in a rostered shift environment. I got Tues/Wed off so I thought Tuesday go to Matamata get a rudder put on my Viking reload I won off Trade Me. Turns out Tuesday morning 2 of my 3 boys woke up sick. Guess what boys road trip to Matamata.

Dropped off the eldest son at school and headed to Matamata from Auckland. I was surprised that there was no traffic heading south, but Northly traffic WOW. It was backed up to the Drury BP. Crazy!!!

Got to Viking Kayaks in Matamata and None other then Stephen Tapp was there to help out with the install. I paid for the install and running rig to be fitted and stuck around to have a look at what's in store. Hmmmm big mistake. When it was finished I walked out with and drogue, boots, flag and a fish stringer. That wasn't expected, spent and extra $380 or there abouts on the extras. Oh well back to Auckland we go.

Next day all boys were fit and ready to go to school. By chance I left the yak on the roof overnight and yes predictions were right. Dropped off all the boys and headed out to Orere Point. Got there and there was a decent Northerly blowing and all I could think was this is going to be good for my drift. Launched at 10.30am and in 1 long drift I picked up my quota. 1st came in by the pole 59cm a couple of snags and 3 jigheads later I was into another 59cm snap. Thought just take anything over 35cm after that so got some nice pannies to finish off the day. Gulp was eamed to be doing the trick today. Weather worsen and the chop and wind came up to about 15knots. White caps everywhere and a head wind to compete with. Paddling back in the reload I averaged about 5kph according to the fish finder. Took about 40-50mins to get back,so glad I wasn't in the GT. Got back to shore and packed up just in time to get back to pick up the boys from school with about 20mins to spare.

So glad I got out during the week and it was good weather to test the seals and speed difference between the Reload vs GT. Maybe another trip weather dependent next Wednesday who knows.
Attachments
reload and fish.jpg
reload and fish.jpg (209.68 KiB) Viewed 742 times
snapper.jpg
snapper.jpg (170.4 KiB) Viewed 742 times
rudder.jpg
rudder.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 742 times
snap 2.jpg
snap 2.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 742 times
PB's
Snapper 70cm - Army Bay
JD 43cm - Rawhiti
KY 54cm - Orere Point
Blue cod 38cm - Little bay

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat May 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Nice work.

Luv my reload.

On flat calm conditions I can get up to 7.2 kph.

I normally cruise around 5kph.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sat May 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Way to break the new yak in ! :y:

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 am

Great catch. That head looks yummy. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

noaddedfluff
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Epic, good on you

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
027 248 9449
@noaddedfluff

• Information