Paddling vs motoring

Go on then, tell us your stories...
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:38 am

Took my 11yo son out for his first kayak fishing trip to Waitawa Regional Park yesterday. Like eynon in his TR, I was surprised by the number of kayakers there as well as a guy with a plastic garden chair on a paddle board. Worked quite well actually, but he says it gets a bit problematic in the wind.

Wind was almost non-existent when we started and perfect conditions for my son's first trip. There's meant to be a small reef just outside Mataitai Bay and I've had some success there when I first started fishing the area, but weren't able to find it yesterday. So we just stopped in the middle of nowhere as there was sign all over the place (high tide with the sun just popping out) and as it happens my son hooked up on his first drop! Not legal, but the guy was super excited as he's used to waiting a long, long time at a wharf before catching anything. A few more undersized snapper and a yellow tail and the guy was convinced that "wharf fishing is the pits".
I picked up one mid-30s snapper over there and rescued a volley ball that was floating around, but then we moved closer to Karamuramu island and anchored up just next to the 30 meter hole. I landed a slightly bigger snapper and my son took a little longer to get his line in the water, but caught his first legal snapper on his first drop at that spot.

Hard work for me as he tries, but mostly is not able to get the hooks out of the fish yet. So every time he caught something, I'd have to pack up, head over to him and get the fish off.

Then the wind picked up pretty quick and was coming straight from the direction we had to paddle to get back. I left my motor at home thinking I don't want to pull him with the motor until I know he's comfortable on the kayak, but when the wind came up I wished I had my motor there! The Old Town Predator XL kayak, while a wonderfully stable kayak, is really horrible for paddling in the wind with the high seat (even in low position) and high sides.
The Tetra 12 that my son was using paddles pretty easily, so I was surprised that he was taking strain, but it made more sense later. Young man doesn't listen to dad, so he was paddling straight into the wind instead of heading for land where we could get some shelter from the wind next to the hills. Anyway, we stopped off by the wharf and wheeled the kayaks back to the car instead of paddling into the wind around the corner to get to the bay.

At the car I realised why my son was struggling with the Tetra 12 as it had a fair bit of water inside!!! By then we'd been out of the water for 30-45 minutes, so who knows how much water had escaped by then. Not sure how to avoid that situation, but it just reinforces my resolve to only take the boys out at Kawakawa bay where we're always close to and surrounded by land and islands. I didn't see any obvious hole or scratch that would have caused the water to get in, but will have to have it checked out by someone in the know.

All in all, a great day out though!

My next problem is whether I'm ever going to get enough alone time fishing from now on. The older boys are more interested in gaming than fishing, but now I have 2 boys (11yo and 14yo) who'll want to head out with me and I'm not intending to buy a third kayak.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:19 pm

:y: that corner can get very rough
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

FatherOfMany wrote: rescued a volley ball that was floating around,
Wiiiiiilsooooon!
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Would be a priority to find where the tetra is leaking and resolve that.

Great news you've got a kid into it... towing you home in no time ]:)

Bigred
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9847

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 am

Fill it up with water on your driveway. The leak should show up pretty easily.
ZMW9847 Viking Profish 400

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:31 am

Quite a bit of water in my own kayak this weekend!! Starting to think someone is sabotaging me???
So yes, will do the filling thing with both kayaks, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information