Pre trip planning

Go on then, tell us your stories...
yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Well I am lucky enough to have a few weeks holiday up my sleeve and was thinking about spending two weeks fishing around the Coromandel. Will plan for around mid - late March. Hopefully these winds have gone and the weather is more settled.

So I'm not familiar with the area let alone the fishing there. If you had 2 weeks in the Coromandel where would you go?

I am likely fishing solo so would like safe waters to fish. Happy to base myself in a few locations or move around. Thanks for your advice!

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:44 pm

It is a bit of no brainer Bruce, base your self at Papa aroha, so many options, and I haven't been there many times and there has not been other yak fishos up there... from there you have the top of Coro, be wary of big currents, short drive will have you to Fantail bay, a little further to goat bay, head over the other side of Coro for a change of scenery, be warned if its blowing from the west don't assume you are going to get shelter on the east side, I reckon that wind comes up and over the ranges and vortex's down the other side and can be just as windy if not worse at times, but you can hug hard into the coast and get some shelter...
If you get the weather playing ball with the right tides paddle out a few hundred meters and enjoy the ride... Its an easy paddle out to the Islands, IMHO I don't think the fishing at them is any better than the coast line, but its a nice spot to cruise around and look at...
Might even see you up there mate :y:

kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Stop by rob forts shop , can generally find some where to fish in most weather using common sense

Mitch
Kayak Make: Pioneer

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 pm

pretty much as awondering says!

but have a look at lions rock around the east coast! good king action last year, lots of fun w kahawai on light gear anyway.

also had fun and luck trawling hard bodied lures between fantail bay and port jackson, hugging the rocks.

have fun!!

yak64

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Will confirm nearer the time when I have dates would be great to catch up with others if on the water too.

Also keen to have a look around mussel farms too...any pointers... besides the obvious are there do's and don'ts or an etiquette?

Cheers

Hodgey
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: Hodgey

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Papa Aroha as a base is a great idea.

Don't make too many plans. Call in to Robs shop in Coro and get the low down on where the fish are biting at the time.

yak64

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Hodgey wrote:Papa Aroha as a base is a great idea.

Don't make too many plans. Call in to Robs shop in Coro and get the low down on where the fish are biting at the time.
Thanks Hodgey good advice, slight change in my plans now .... still looking at heading up in March but only for about 4 nights now, will have the wife so a good chance to fish and get familiar with the area. Then head back in April for the main trip for a week or two.

Thanks again for the advice everyone

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:32 pm

awondering wrote:be warned if its blowing from the west don't assume you are going to get shelter on the east side, I reckon that wind comes up and over the ranges and vortex's down the other side and can be just as windy if not worse at times, but you can hug hard into the coast and get some shelter...
Agreed. Personally, if the wind's coming from the east, I prefer fishing on the east side. Always have the wind blowing me back to land, not away from it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 pm

awondering wrote:It is a bit of no brainer Bruce, base your self at Papa aroha, so many options, and I haven't been there many times and there has not been other yak fishos up there... from there you have the top of Coro, be wary of big currents, short drive will have you to Fantail bay, a little further to goat bay, head over the other side of Coro for a change of scenery, be warned if its blowing from the west don't assume you are going to get shelter on the east side, I reckon that wind comes up and over the ranges and vortex's down the other side and can be just as windy if not worse at times, but you can hug hard into the coast and get some shelter...
If you get the weather playing ball with the right tides paddle out a few hundred meters and enjoy the ride... Its an easy paddle out to the Islands, IMHO I don't think the fishing at them is any better than the coast line, but its a nice spot to cruise around and look at...
Might even see you up there mate :y:
I'll second that. Personally I think that catch rate is much better on the West side than the east and fewer Leatherjackets too but there are some nice spots on the East.
Given that you have 2 weeks to spare, Sandy Bay on the North east is a real nice spot to fish.

There's also a few DOC camps around but with minimal facilities.
I have spent a few days at Fantail bay and Stoney bay DOC camps.
Papa Aroha is definitely a good base with everything you need including good fishing.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

• Information