Lottin Point

Go on then, tell us your stories...
WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm

My parents have shares in a camp site at Lottin point, cabins, hot water,nsolar lighting, a boat ramp and tractor.
image.jpeg
Every year they go to Lottin point, this year I invited myself :y:
A bit of a last minute decision to kit out my Bow Fishing set I left Hamilton at Midday Thursday and almost 6 hours later was launching the Kayak in some awesome conditions.
image.jpeg
I paddled 500 metres to a spot that has served me well in the past, unfortunately no fish finder but using multi coloured braid estimate I was fishing in about 50 metres. Very strong current here so a minimum of 5/8 Oz Jig head cast out over the bow and a ledger rig out the back. Also a slow jig out the side.

After a few drifts, 3 undersized Blue cod, 2 undersized Terakihi, 4 undersized and one marginal Snapper all went back.
I had a multiple hook up....... Unfortunately all the bottom which got pretty interesting in strong current.
I moved away to the point and just at first cast Dad called me up on Channel 6 to say that he was soon arriving at camp so I could collect a key and let myself in so as I could set up so I headed back.

Reports from other campers of lots of Kingfish in the area however they would not take any sort of bait, jig or lure. Now I'm happy that I rigged the Bowfishing gear :devil:

It was so hot back at the camp that I slept under the stars every night, lots of mosquitos but there was no way I was sleeping in a cabin with 8 others.
It was interesting envy night there was thunder and lightning for a few hours but it only rained for about half an hour on one of the 3 nights I stayed there.
image.jpeg
Friday
I was up early and the plan was to take the boat out, with Nephews etc on board we weren't going to chase Puka but hopefully could get some good Snapper action and Kingfish. We had to wait for the tide to come in a bit as there were too many exposed rocks in the channel.
Eventually we went out, a nice 1 metre rolling swell and no more than 8 knots.
Fishing was tough, interesting note that between 4 on the boat we were fishing with Squid, Pilchard, Bonito and Koi Carp (thanks Lovetofish for the donation). The carp caught everything.
A few hours later we had 3 Tarakihi, 6 very respectable Kahawai, a few smaller snapper and a nice 11 Lb snapper caught on softbait.
image.jpeg
We headed in closer to the rocks and I saw a by tentative rock fisher running along the rocks, he wasn't playing a fish but his balloon was moving around quite frantically.
Back to shore to fillet fish, then to the boat ramp to wash my hands. I stood on a very large stingray, damn near shat myself but no harm done.
The rock fisher walked by and stopped to ask if we had scales, a very respectable (estimate 20-25Kg) kingfish hanging out of his back pack.
He said that he got dusted by a much larger one earlier in the day.

I was determined to get a Kingfish but with 3 inexperienced anglers on a boat I knew this wasn't going to work so I took the yak out, towed around some lures, dropped Jigs, Sabikis to catch live bait but no success in any way.
Back to soft baiting, now out at the 60 metre mark I picked up a healthy 8lb and 4Lb snapper.
image.jpeg

Saturday
Out again in the boat, lots of Kahawai, lots of current, lots of 'hook ups, and landed stripeys' on the VHF from Waihau bay but not much else for the day apart from a few 35-40cm snapper.
The cray pot had no luck, nor did a 25 hook long line.
My 8 year old niece had a rod out the side of the boat, the boat was constantly at idle in reverse gear to hold against the current. Her rod doubled over and line peeling off the spool. Yip, she caught the propellor. I eventually untangled it all and she was stoked to have heard that a big fish took her line and wrapped it around the propellor to get away :wasntme:
Then a multiple hook up of Kahawai and what I assume to be a descent Kingfish that busted off in seconds, there was no way my Mum could hold that back.

Sunday

Last chance, we checked the cray pot again nothing. Set the long line and headed out to some bird action, towed lures around for a while then dropped some lines down. 20Oz sinkers and the lines wer at about 30 degree angle to the boat, the current was strong.
We were in about 85 metres of water so again the boat was left in reverse at idle while we fished.
My Brother in law made the same mistake as my niece leaving his rod in the holder and sure enough caught the prop.
I climbed ov the back and fought with a mess of braid for over 40 minutes. I decided it was time to hop in the water so as I could get a better angle. I to.d the crew to watch out for sharks but Dad talked me out of the idea as it was getting windy and I was so close to having untangled the mess.
My sisters rod doubled over and started peeling line, a dead weight it felt like she was snagged so we loosed off the rag and let it slowly run.
I then had the boat mobile again and started to retrieve the snagged rig whil Dad chased it down wi the boat.
Hang on, a couple of nods but this thing is heavy, "I think I have a stingray here" then the line peeled and a quick aerobatic display from an est. 80kg Mako.
We hooked this thing up on a 4/0 ledger rig.
I had some fun for about 5 minutes and had it at the boat but a couple of metres too deep to get a gaff in it. Knowing we were likely to lose this on the gear we had I handed the rod to my Sister, grabbed my Bow set and just about to snap a swivel to my rod when it busted off.
Retrieved the longline, only 8 hooks left :headbang:
Time to call it a day.
image.jpeg
Oh yeah, always wear sunscreen :tmi:
image.jpeg
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

technical
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6484

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Great trip! :y:
Your shoulders peeling yet? :(
Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Sounds like a great trip there mate !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Those shoulders look bad . Should be recovered by the time we hit the Eastern bay comp :lol: Other than the sunburn it looked like a great trip !

love 2 fish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 400, reload

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Looks like a awsome time other than the burn.
apart of the WAIKATO KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 am

Awesome TR mate! So the yak got the biggest fish then? :lol: Thanks for taking the time to share all that bro, great read :rock:

Shanedog
Kayak Model: Viking pf400

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:31 am

One of my favourite spots

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:34 am

Nice WaikatoYakka, sounds like some good fishing.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

GreenMamba
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:50 am

Great report. :y: That bow fishing setup looks like a serious bit of kit. Besides sharks, what else will you be hoping to target with that?

twistedpete
Kayak Model: PF400

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

We will have to get out for a bowfish sometime Bryce, I've just got one myself. Plenty of carp around here for target practice. been having a great time out the back of Huntly on the yak.
VIKING PF400

WaikatoYakka

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am

Cool Twistedpete :y:
Green mamba, Carp was the immediate target just for a bit of fun and burley.
How many times though have you seen Kingfish everywhere and they don't take bait or lure. ;)
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783

Addict since Sept '09

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Ouch that looks painful!
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

against da wind
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMR2510 Seaka

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:54 pm

so much fun and sooooooooo many great memories, fishing, diving, and spear fishing that place 30/40 yrs ago

WaikatoYakka

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:02 pm

against da wind wrote:so much fun and sooooooooo many great memories, fishing, diving, and spear fishing that place 30/40 yrs ago
I vividly remember maybe 25 years ago trolling 4 lures on mower pull cord and only outside the bay, multiple Albacore hookups, shutting the boat down and being towed backwards.
It used to be an annual family event.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783

Addict since Sept '09