Weekend Up North - 2 PBs and Gnarly Surf!

Go on then, tell us your stories...
dave-g
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evo Duo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:06 pm

I happened to bump into Kerry at Rob Fort's shop not long after having an invite to stay in a bach at Taemaro Bay (just South of Doubtless Bay). I asked Kerry where all his secret spots were and he offered to show me his playground :) It turned into the best two days fishing I've ever had so this has turned into a bit of an essay :$

I had been looking forward to the trip for a while but on the drive up heard that Cyclone Victor was causing big swell on the East coast, a mate said it was the biggest he had ever seen at Leigh. Too late to pull the pin - we continued the drive north. We arrived at the bach in the dark and I could hear decent waves crashing on the beach about 500m away. ;( I had spoken to Kerry earlier and with him promising trolling for tuna and perhaps even livebaiting for Marlin it was safe to say I didn't get any sleep that night!

Day 1
We met down at the beach just after sunrise and sure enough the swell was big - he said the 2.5m forecast looked accurate :worried:

There was a rip on the right side so we drove down to take a look. I was pretty worried, my only expereince with surf was a lucky landing at Tutukaka. I'd never launched into surf before but before I knew it Kerry had spotted a gap in the sets and was out past the breakers. Whilst I stood waiting a tiny wave turtled my Reload and I realised how smashed I'd be if a big one came at the wrong time. Whilst I sat there thinking I couldn't make it out, another gap appeared. I jumped in, paddled like crazy and met Kerry. It was on!

We paddled out of the bay and round the corner past Tekura Rocks. My original plan was to fish here and Bergans point - there was not much sign at Bergans but we tried a couple of drops of the jig. It was my first time jigging apart from a quick try at Leigh where I stopped for fear of anyone seeing my technique - just couldn't get the motion. After a couple of drops I had a hit and then hookup. The feeling of weight coming on was everything I had imagined from watching videos of jigging - it felt awesome! I pulled a rat to the surface and was really chuffed to catch my first fish on a jig. With little sign Kerry suggested we move to another spot about another 5km paddle. I'm used to more relaxed easy days off Whangaparoa but I hadn't come all this way to turn down a mission!

When we arrived at the spot there was little sign but a boat was hooking up on some smaller kings. We paddled around trying to find some sign - there was baitfish but couldn't see kings. We tried around the bait schools and before long Kerry got a big hit and it went screaming straight to the bottom and rubbed him off. It looked big and got my heart going! I then hooked a smaller legal king and decided to keep it in case we didn't get anything else - I needed to take something home!

It was then we started seeing great sign, lots of streaks like schools of kings. Kerry hooked up a nice fish that went on some crazy runs and was really towing him around. After about 5 minutes he guessed he had been sharked and a couple of minutes later up came a head. 5 minutes later, the same thing happened and at the same time I hooked up. Kerry shouted over to get it up quickly whilst the shark was busy with his fish. I had caught the fish near the top so despite an early run I managed to get it up before the sharks got it.

Kerry got sharked yet again and we decided to call it a day - he thought he had lost enough to sharks, and I was getting a bit tired. The surf landing had been on the back of my mind all day no matter how much I tried to forget about it!

We paddled back to Bergans and had a break for some food. The conditions from there on in was by far the worse I've ever paddled in. The swell seemed to be mixing with waves bouncing back off the cliffs making some huge chop. The GoPro flattens it out but it was much worse than it looks!

We stopped to stow rods in Kerry's chute and both of us struggled to not bring up breakfast. The chop was so big there was just a small channel of clearer water in the 300m between Tekura Rocks and the mainland. I realised if i didn't concentrate I could easily be tipped out and then find myself in the huge wash at the rock. As we rounded the corner into Taemaro the whole bay seemed green with wash water. You can just about make out the size of the waves in the background of this photo.

Luckily, the rip was still there and gave an opening for us to paddle in on. Kerry made it in dry, and despite his shouts to keep paddling I got flipped as I neared the beach.

We looked out over the bay and had a beer to take in what had been an epic day on the water. Between us 3 heads and 2 kings, my first and PB estimated at 12kg. Kerry's fish would have been big if the sharks hadn't got them - the heads were significantly bigger.

Day 2
The next day I fancied something slightly easier so Kerry suggested softbaiting around from Hihi. I launched at sunrise and paddled about 5km round the corner to a reef.

Again it started slow (slack tide?) but when the bite came on it was the hottest I had ever seen! I had many double hookups, a rat king and snapper double hookup, and at one point two snapper in my lap waiting to be dealt with as I played a fish. I had such a grin on my face all day and later on hooked what felt it must be my biggest snapper. It went on some nice runs, and had a lot of weight. At some points I just had to hold it still, slowly getting a wind. I was using 10lb braid and had as much drag as I was comfortable with and not getting much line back. I took it slow, and eventually my first Trevally came to the surface. I could have easily lost it as it flapped around by the kayak but I got the gaff in and slid it aboard. People could probably hear me scream 'yes' for miles!

I paddled home to get the fish on ice and back to the bach for sashimi and a beer. The Trev ended up measuring 66cm and made great eating! I need to get up North for a fish more often...

The jigheads took a beating this weekend!

The smaller king fed 10 friends for dinner on Monday night, and the larger one is at the smoke house. Can't wait to try it smoked :)

Massive thank you to Kerry for showing me some great spots and pushing me on Saturday! Also thanks to the guys who showed me the ropes when I started at North Shore KFC especially Lee Kennedy. I've taken so much from this sport and met some awesome people. Can't wait for Rob Fort's mothership trip at the end of Feb to try jigging again!
Last edited by dave-g on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:26 pm

Great TR and some sweet pictures right there :y:

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Great TR.... It's certainly a great spot up there and it's been the scene of many a great adventure !

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Awesome report and congrats on some very nice fish, that trev is big!

While I have been out in bigger, that surf was definitely challenging :sweat:
The guys on the beach that watched us come in told us that we were nuts!! :rock:

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:38 pm

Well done that man!
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

itsallablur
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:02 pm

Awesome TR Dave-G. Thanks for sharing. I'd say there will be plenty more reports to come. Cheers
Viking Reload
Viking GT
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club link: http://www.oskfc.net

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Stonker Trev especially for your first nice job. Good bravery too to follow Kerry out and get through the surf and big kms.

shad
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 3124

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Awesome outing and pictures :y:
Prowler 4.3

riverboater
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 400 2+1

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm

:y: awesome work

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Top Tr and well done fullas :y:

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Awesome TR and good on you Dave.

GreenMamba
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Sounds like an epic trip. Great TR

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:41 pm

Top job Dave ,thanks for sharing ,great read :y: :y:

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:39 am

Epic, great read.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:39 am

Epic, great read.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:57 am

Great report and pics mate, I imagine you had that wobbly feeling back on land that you get after being in the swell for a good few hours after. Great read!

terrier
Kayak Model: 400

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:55 am

Nice TR.. What an awesome couple of days!

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:52 am

epic tr dave. great read and well done.

blair
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:55 am

awesome bro well done. sounds like you handled the surf ok

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak