Go on then, tell us your stories...
Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Great read mikG :y:
A good wake up call for all of us .
I can recall a similar thing happening in the Coromandel at Papa Aroha a number of years ago . Myself and another forum member were halfway to the Islands when my mates yak started filling up with water . We made the call to head to the Island as it seemed slightly closer . His yak was very heavy and also very unstable but luckily we made it . We found a small crack in the scupper hole and made an emergency repair . Think I stuffed my new gaff with a foam grip down the scupper which just happened to be a perfect tight fit .
If you are fishing by yourself I cant stress enough about having a VHF on your PFD . Personally im not a fan of mobiles as a communication device on the water but I guess they are better than nothing if you can keep it dry when you are up to your neck in water .

all good
Kayak Make: pinnacle elite on the sand
Kayak Model: ultra 4.1 rock hopping
VHF Call Sign: 4.3 trident

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:Great read mikG :y:
A good wake up call for all of us .
I can recall a similar thing happening in the Coromandel at Papa Aroha a number of years ago . Myself and another forum member were halfway to the Islands when my mates yak started filling up with water . We made the call to head to the Island as it seemed slightly closer . His yak was very heavy and also very unstable but luckily we made it . We found a small crack in the scupper hole and made an emergency repair . Think I stuffed my new gaff with a foam grip down the scupper which just happened to be a perfect tight fit .
If you are fishing by yourself I cant stress enough about having a VHF on your PFD . Personally im not a fan of mobiles as a communication device on the water but I guess they are better than nothing if you can keep it dry when you are up to your neck in water .
X2 well said mark
Pinnacle elite
o/k ultra 4.1
4.3 trident

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:44 am

My mobile is waterproof and shockproof and handled getting soaked so all good. Will be carrying radio with me always from now though I suspect the mobile will get better coverage in some of the more remote areas in the Naki. Have also invested in a PLB.
Got my replacement yak last week so took it out off Urenui on Saturday. I felt a bit wobbly when I launched but quickly got my confidence back. A feed of schnapps and carrots and all is well in the world again :)

lloyd
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks for posting, pleased all turned out well in the end.

As someone who paddles in both sit ins and sit on's, I'm surprised no one's mentioned here the lack of bulk heads in sit on's here. I'd guess these might well have helped, certainly any leak would be contained, and no chance of a total sinkage.
They'd add to the cost no doubt, but would we prepared to pay the extra?

Once water gets inside it's surprising how heavy they become, and understandably unstable.
An earlier poster mentioned a bilge pump, on a sit on that's only going to be useful on shore, as there's little chance of bailing water from the front hatch. On that theme few sit in's have a centre hatch, which I guess would be possible to bail from.

Fishless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Can also get the white water floats that sit very nicely in a sit on top, don't need many, one front, one back and it'll stay afloat (maybe with you not in it, but least it gives you something to hold on to while for waiting help to arrive.

In the UK i know of a couple people use swimming noodles, again not going to keep you in and paddling, but acts a s a float so you don't lose everything if you get holed. Probably easier with hook flying round etc.

Fishless.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:37 pm

lloyd wrote:Thanks for posting, pleased all turned out well in the end.

As someone who paddles in both sit ins and sit on's, I'm surprised no one's mentioned here the lack of bulk heads in sit on's here. I'd guess these might well have helped, certainly any leak would be contained, and no chance of a total sinkage.
They'd add to the cost no doubt, but would we prepared to pay the extra?

Once water gets inside it's surprising how heavy they become, and understandably unstable.
An earlier poster mentioned a bilge pump, on a sit on that's only going to be useful on shore, as there's little chance of bailing water from the front hatch. On that theme few sit in's have a centre hatch, which I guess would be possible to bail from.
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... ad&start=0 One of many ;)

Problem is that bulkheads won't stop a yak becoming unmanageable due to flooding, they merely reduce the total volume of water taken on. Most people will be in the drink due to instability by that stage anyway.

I paddle silly distances solo, and with no one to risk-shift onto, I have to evaluate any possible situation and figure out how to cope.
This included flooding a SoT (Prowler 13) and working out how to handle it when the poo hit the air-shifter.
Consisted of me in the water for about 20m slowly seesawing the inverted hull, losing water and gaining air each time.
Trial #2 consisted of using a bailer to catch air, take it down under the yak and displace the water that way, surprisingly about the same amount of time, refit the hatch cover and flip the mostly dry boat back over.
Can be done.

Many SoTs do have hatches suitable for a hand pump whilst on the water, either crotch pots, or behind the paddlers hip. Ironically, it's this open hatch into the hull which is a leading contender for disaster as we saw recently. If the hull only has a front (or rear) access to hull, then you're going to have to swim to pump. It can be, and has been done. Let's face it, if things have reached that stage, you have to accept you will get very wet in the near future, bulkheads, or not.

It'd be hard work to expel all the air from within the hull, coupled with the PE slightly positive buoyancy - they won't sink by themselves. Even with batteries etc onboard, it would only take a few litres of captive air to keep it on top.

SiKs can leak in through the front or rear hatches too.
More difficult to get to than a SoT as you need to pop the spray deck exposing the cockpit to further inundation. I had to do the swim of shame to pump out my rear compartment when a cord compromised the rubber hatch and it popped while playing in the chop. Then I had all the rigmarole of re-enter and roll and the subsequent pump out of that. I can categorically say a SoT would have been a much easier operation in that situation.

Ability to improvise and stay rational is the key I reckon.

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Tara Yakka
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:10 pm

I had a spilt in the bottom of one of my rod holders, which resulted in the yak filling with water. Rough conditions meant that each bit of chop over the side filled the holder which emptied into the Reload. After a couple of the hrs out there (with no fish) I turned for home and had a wave break over the side, with the water in the boat I turtled. Managed to get in safe enough and it took almost ten minutes to get the water out the yak.
Good that your safe Mik, kudos to the CG for their work.
Time for all to do a check over the Yak… visual check, fill it with air to check for leaks, etc. Yaks need maintenance also.
Mission Catch 390
Viking ProFish440
Viking Reload

SQUID DOG
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: espri angler

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Holy Crap!! not a good look at all glad you are ok :y: :y:
SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY…. OTHER TIMES I LET HER SLEEP.

Allpom
Kayak Model: Profish440

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:00 am

I will be looking at my own emergency procedure after reading this, as I fish solo quite a lot. Glad all turned out ok.

NZGlyn
Kayak Model: Scupper Pro

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 pm

First post on the forum! Interesting chat about holes in yaks and flotation. I had a Switch kayak a few years ago now which was bought with known leaks. I repaired them but was always wary of it. It never actually leaked after that but for peace of mind I filled the whole inner hull with those plastic balls you get in kids indoor playgrounds. They don't weigh much and they can get into many of the small spaces in a SOT hull. Made a little noise sometimes (minor) but very re-assuring. I kept them when I sold the yak and now have a scupper pro. After reading this article I am going to re-install some of the balls, maybe in an onion sack(s), so I can take them out to let the inner dry out when not in use. I reckon two or three sacks of balls should provide enough flotation. I was thinking of other options like inflating those vac sacs you get for clothes. The advantage of the balls however is if you hit a rock the balls will not deflate. In fact they will be forced up into the top of the hull with incoming water. Interestingly I bought 500 of them used. Expecting at least some to be punctured I tested every one individually. Not one leak in any of them. Now there's build quality.

itsallablur
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sun May 01, 2016 5:58 am

Welcome NZGlyn. Yeah it's one of those things you read about but don't do until something goes wrong and experience it.

My recent one was securing the Chill Pod. Was always on the must do list but never happened. After the Naki comp, it done now.
Viking Reload
Viking GT
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club link: http://www.oskfc.net

NZGlyn
Kayak Model: Scupper Pro

Sun May 01, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks, looks like a very interesting site here. I've rolled out twice now. First time was real scary but second time I thought ***** not again. It's really good to practice getting back on the thing. The Scupper Pro is narrow and tippy so quite hard to remount. It's another one of those unpleasant things that we should do in a shallow spot but never do.
Last time I lost all my gear now all rods are tied on.

MoreThanFine

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:28 am

Glad I read this today. I noticed my yak was sitting a little 'weird' in the water on Monday. Will be checking for leaks before next mission. Thanks for posting.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:54 am

Got all the Forms of Comms and Beacons now so , reassuring when out on the Big Blue

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Good to hear you made it home safe mate
And a good reminder to all, that visual and operational checks of yaks and all safety equipment should be a regular occurance

Thanks for sharing your experience
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Boomslangnz
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:24 pm

this might sound stupid, but how do I check for cracks etc?

Of course i could check visually but do I fill the kayak with water or something and see if any water leaks out or something?

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:30 pm

Glad to hear you made it out safely. Tbh I think shark thoughts has been the biggest reason why I haven't pushed hard enough in the last 2 years to go out again. Haven't seen one, but you know. Anyway, I had the coastguard check on me when I drifted over the no fish cable area north of narrowneck and on the way back I'd noticed a leak in my wavewalk. Couldn't see any problems when leaning back to submerge the rivets? But could hear it. Ended up holding my phone down behind me to video the hull, and it was a flex activated tear that was pissing in. Got a replacement yak and the company now makes wood braces fore and aft to stop the hulls from flexing apart. Even still I take a bilge pump, tho I've never had to use it since that day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

BigDave

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Oh and I'm also thinking a beacon and maybe a new radio. Dunno how often they should be changed, but the batteries leaked in mine and you'd feel a right manus if you end up getting lost or worse for the sake of a few hundy.

WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Boomslangnz wrote:this might sound stupid, but how do I check for cracks etc?

Of course i could check visually but do I fill the kayak with water or something and see if any water leaks out or something?
A visual check should be enough to spot any big splits but yes a water test is good and simple too, place your kayak on the ground - a large dry surface like a concrete driveway is good - and put some water in it, no need to fill it to the top then rock the kayak around to get the water to all scuppers, part lines etc. On a dry surface you'll soon spot any wet patches.

Another alternative but should be used with caution is compressed air and some soapy water, DO NOT try to inflate your plastic kayak it will very quickly go from zero to buggered very quickly if you put too much pressure in it, it doesn't take much to stretch a scupper etc that bit too far...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

BigDave

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 pm

Ended up getting a new radio , wife correctly pointed out old one worked fine... but it was a new one so yeah. Also got the rescue me mini eperb.

WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526

• Information