Coastguard pulls my wet cold ass out of the water

Go on then, tell us your stories...
mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Yak will be back at manufacturers mid to late next week where I'm sure they will give it a thorough going over to establish the cause. Been asked more than once if I have dropped it or hit something hard, which I can understand, but I know that is not the case. So very much looking forward to hearing the diagnosis. The manufacturers have an outstanding reputation so I'm sure they will look after me.

I miss my lucky reels already, sitting out there on the bottom of the ocean ;(

Hurley Burley
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:42 pm

How come your reels are at the bottom? Not tied on or ditched?

crabman
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:21 pm

Scary stuff but your experience showed through and you kept calm. Apart from the sharks... :x
Hope you get a happy outcome with the yak and glad you made it back in one piece.
Good reminder to everyone to check there yaks, I will be doing mine more often- normally half fill with water each season but might make that twice a year now. :y:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:27 pm

Big thumbs up for staying with the yak and resisting the temptation to swim to shore. Probably another factor in your rapid location by the chopper.
I recommend anyone heading out solo to carry a hand pump on board, they're not just for the Sit In crowd.

VHF is always preferable over cellphone as your primary comms.

Thanks for posting Mike, if your report shakes just one person into changing a bad habit or complacency then it is worth gold.

Glad it had a successful outcome. :y:
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Big thumbs up for staying with the yak and resisting the temptation to swim to shore. Probably another factor in your rapid location by the chopper.
I recommend anyone heading out solo to carry a hand pump on board, they're not just for the Sit In crowd.

Thanks for posting Mike, if your report shakes just one person into changing a bad habit or complacency then it is worth gold.

You said it all in those comments times 2 HLD :)

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Big thumbs up for staying with the yak and resisting the temptation to swim to shore. Probably another factor in your rapid location by the chopper.

You said it all in those comments times 2 HLD :)

Hawk
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: Hawk ZMU3995

Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Very very good to hear you are still with us! And a good lesson for you and many others.
Thanks for sharing. Hope you are feeling okay.

mikG

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:55 am

Hurley Burley wrote:How come your reels are at the bottom? Not tied on or ditched?
Had them in pod along with everything else I could stuff in there. I poked butt ends of rods under bungy that holds lid down and when the fisho tried to tow yak I think it popped open and I lost everything.

mikG

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:59 am

Yip I concur, if I had an ordinary cellphone or a smartphone it wouldn't of lasted long. Have a telecom r55 which is 'waterproof', and thank the gods it was. I would highly recommend it.

Vikingrick
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:12 am

Glad to hear your ok. We are very venerable on the big blue ocean. Has given me some food for thought as i do a lot of solo trips as well.

salty
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: prowler 13

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:05 pm

A VHF is now top of my list for Santa. Thanks for reminding me about the realities of kayaking; It's so easy to become complacent.

I can't remember the last time i checked the integrity of my hull; Job for this weekend

7 Days
Kayak Model: Pro 400
VHF Call Sign: 7 Days

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Glad to hear everything was ok in the end, saw the posting from the rescue chopper and was wondering whom it was.
http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PB: puka..18.2kg blue cod...2.01kg

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Thanks for sharing MikG. Glad you're safe and sound. :y:

Your TR had me thinking because I usually fish solo. I do carry my vhf at all times but I don't really know how to use it so I booked myself a vhf course on Sunday. Guess I'll start getting some re-entry exercises, checking over my kayak and a host of other checks over the holiday period.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:12 pm

MadMike wrote:
owaldock wrote:Thanks for sharing. A couple of take outs for me; ensure my VHS is fully charges and time to start giving the bottom of the kayak a more regular inspection. Like the idea of throwing a bucket or two of water in there every now and again to check to leaks too.
The bucket thing doesn't show all leaks. You get a lot of pressure on the bottom of the hull when in the water under load so what maybe a tiny hole that doesn't let low pressure water through may well let water in once underway.
Thanks for sharing MikeG. Glad your safe n sound bro!
A bucket of water wont work, it took me three goes with a totally full hull, to find a pin hole in my yak. I know what 5 ltrs feels like bugger having enough to roll you! :o

Defyant
Kayak Make: Q Kayaks
Kayak Model: Skua Lightweight
VHF Call Sign: Defyant ZMU2692

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:14 pm

MadMike wrote:
owaldock wrote:Thanks for sharing. A couple of take outs for me; ensure my VHS is fully charges and time to start giving the bottom of the kayak a more regular inspection. Like the idea of throwing a bucket or two of water in there every now and again to check to leaks too.
The bucket thing doesn't show all leaks. You get a lot of pressure on the bottom of the hull when in the water under load so what maybe a tiny hole that doesn't let low pressure water through may well let water in once underway.
At work I use a little airbed inflator pump and use a hose to attach it to the kayaks bung. If you seal all the hatches up properly, it increases the air pressure inside the hull. Then you get a spray bottle with some soapy water inside, and spray it around all the fittings and scuppers. This is the most accurate way to find ANY leaks.
Defyant ZMU2692
Canoe & Kayak Manukau 09 262 0209

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:46 pm

The scupper seems to be a common source for leaks, and it has got me thinking about my kayak as I noticed when I brought it that one of the scuppers wasn't perfectly smooth and had a crease for lack of better word. think I might query this with the manufacturer.

Good on you for posting this incident for all to learn from.

Cheers :beer:

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Cheers for sharing ,horrible thought,glad your ok,buy a lotto mate.

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

rainbow
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: P13
VHF Call Sign: Kayak Rainbow

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:27 am

Always good to see a successful rescue directly attributed to coms on board. I am a member of the Taranaki Coastguard and log my trips with them every time I go out. Since I have my VHF on Channel 61 all the time I am out there I am amazed how few kayakers use this valuable service. It costs $40 a year to be a member; a small amount to buy a hell of a lot of peace of mind. Btw One does not have to be a member to log in a trip, anybody can do it.

Re leaks Whilst the scuppers are prime candidates a more insidious leak can develop at the bottom of the tail fin when the kayak is repeatedly dragged over concrete i.e. ramps. The hull is only a few millimetres thick and the PE is soft as butter. It happened to me many years ago and as a consequence OK installed a wear strip.

Rainbow

Dino_nz
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Glad your ok bud

mango
Kayak Make: Reef Kayak

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Shite dude, hectic. Close call, goes to show that you need to be prepared for the worst case scenario

• Information