Coastguard pulls my wet cold ass out of the water

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Burleybomb
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Sorry to hear all this happened but good result in the end.

After reading this I have ordered a handheld VHF... I was being a bit too casual with safety. So you have made a difference!

ajst2duk

Sat May 13, 2017 12:29 am

Had one like that over here in Perth recently - does happen more often than we think. Bilge pumps here are required safety gear on comps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just fishing and stuff
Kayak PB's
Snapper 87cm
Kingy 115cm
Now yakking in amazing W.A.

Seanmcd
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:15 pm

Had a somthing similar happen in the way of a hole in the yak.
I brought some roof racks off trademe. Brought new but quite cheap. When I finally got them I went to vikings to grab the new kayak on Thursday. Got home safely and had a trip planned in a couple of days. Left home at 4.30am for kaiaua on the Saturday. As I was heading out there I hit a pot hole doing about 80ks and heard a snap and bang. I looked through the windscreen to see the kayak had parted ways with me. I panicked and stopped. I got out of the car in the pitch black and saw my kayak with racks still attached sitting in the road. A dent and a few holes had been torn into the kayak. The guys at viking fixed her up and you wouldnt even know anything happened.
Never ever buying cheap roof racks or anything for matter again. Tends to bite you in the arse when you really dont want it to

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:35 am

Yes you tend to get what you pay for, for sure. Buy once buy right , well hopefully.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:46 am

And a little un-asked advice from an old man, who has a $60 roof rack and a $60 set of cradles.

I give mine the Marc N test, every time I load the yak on the car, which is to grab each of the four ends of the rack, in turn and shake.

If the rack and yak does not move, in relation to the car, but the car shakes like a puppy, that's the Marc N test.

I'm not a weight lifter, but at 60, I can still lift a 50Kg sack of rice with my right hand, so I give the rack a good shake :)

If it just looks good, that's not a test.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

SitDown

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Seanmcd wrote:
saw my kayak with racks still attached sitting in the road. A dent and a few holes had been torn into the kayak.
Never ever buying cheap roof racks or anything for matter again. Tends to bite you in the arse when you really dont want it to
some manufacturers have specific roof rack connections to the make, model & year of the car the racks will be mounted on, meaning the roof racks may have been fine to begin with, but the connection between the rack & the roof may have been a universal fitting not suited to your car.... hard to know without the details of your setup
chin up bro, lucky it wasn't a really bad ending

Seanmcd
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:26 pm

SitDown wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm
Seanmcd wrote:
saw my kayak with racks still attached sitting in the road. A dent and a few holes had been torn into the kayak.
some manufacturers have specific roof rack connections to the make, model & year of the car the racks will be mounted on, meaning the roof racks may have been fine to begin with, but the connection between the rack & the roof may have been a universal fitting not suited to your car.... hard to know without the details of your setup
chin up bro, lucky it wasn't a really bad ending
Yea at the time a was angry sad and disappointed but it was a silly fault. But yea could of been alot worse than what it was. Got proper racks now so happy as. Stick to quality over quantity

• Information