Mayor island Kingfish Academy

Go on then, tell us your stories...
nzkayaker
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: NZ Kayaker

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Just getting back down to earth after 3 days out at Mayor with 12 other kayak fishing aficionados.

Fishing was pretty hard, with only 1 legal kingfish caught. A big congrats goes to Ash Rawlinson who never gave up, fishing the most hours out of anyone and ultimately coming up with the goods. He took out the Kingfish Academy trophy and gains a free spot on the next trip. There was plenty of "hopefuls" during the weekend but the tax man was out in force and claimed the majority of them...my record was loosing 4 fish on the first night!

A big thanks to all the crew for being part of this weekend. Good times, great company, and a stunning location.

Full report coming soon but here's a few shots.
Attachments
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
P2200049.jpg
P2200049.jpg (45.88 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
P2210073.jpg
P2210073.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 12.58.58 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 12.58.58 pm.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
Proudly supported by Viking Kayaks, Sharkskin, Kokotat and Lowrance.

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Sorry for the delay, but like Tim and the rest of the crew I've been feeling pretty shattered today !

We left Tauranga and headed out for abt a 3 hour trip to Mayor.....The trip itself was pretty eventful when we saw a couple of GIANT manta rays frollicking on the surface of the water. Initially we thought it was a whale, but as we got closer we saw they were rays and each was at least 3m across...massive !!

Got to the island and started to unload the boat...theres no wharf so everything has to be ferried by a dinghy to the shore where it was stowed and then off to quarantine to be checked for nasties ! The island is a reserve and is now owned and administered by the local Iwi....so..no permission, no landing..
P1010478.JPG
Theres little power on the island so we had to take everything with us, so the first question is how much gear is too much for 13 people !!...

This is about half of it plus we had a count up and there were at least 56 rods amongst us !
IMG_1201.JPG
The accommodation was basic but perfectly ok for our needs. Cooking was done on a wood fired BBQ plus a couple of camp stoves we took over
IMG_1205.JPG
With scenery like this you just cant complain !
IMG_1204.JPG
After the customary setup, most of us headed out to the local reef for a kingfish jig.... Unfortunately it turned out to be a pretty tough day... I got busted off twice and landed 4 or so rats... The wind was up a bit so drifts were pretty fast !
Saturday some of us headed to the reef once again whilst others went to the west side of the islandto the "honey pot"to chase kings....alas a similar story....very quiet for most of us except Pete who had a long long battle with a huge Bronzie....he got it all the way to the yak where it was estimated at around 100kgs...Tim has put a pic up above.
As I was having little joy I headed into the shallows and spent a few hours softbaiting the shallows in some of the bays on the east side..... nothing was caught...
In the afternoon I headed to the west side but the wind was very strong and it was pretty difficult to do anything meaningful...I ended up with 1 x snapper which I gave away..
A bit of the local scenery..
P1010480.JPG

Sunday morning it was back out to the reef jigging for kings, but again it was a morning of rats and one big bustoff where I had the assist hook kevlar cord break...must have been a shark ! :worried:

Around lunchtime it was time to packup and load the boat for the return trip back. Given that most of us hadn't done all that well, the skipper stopped off at the Penguins for a quick Terakihi fish so that everyone at least got a feed !
All up my trip calculator tells me I paddled 42 kms and my body feels it today !

Despite no fish it was a great trip with some great people ! As always its about the friends you make and the adventures you share ... :y: :rock:

Thanks to Tim for organising it all and put me down for the next one !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

BruceN

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 pm

I completely agree with Hainsey, it was a great trip despite the absence of fish. Tim did a fantastic job of organising the weekend, and I achieved a PB snapper (its me holding the fish and feeling decided pleased with myself!).

I probably didnt paddle as far as Hainsey but still feel pretty stuffed, particularly as I gave mechanical jigging a decent crack this weekend! I eagerly look forward to the next trip as I still have a decent kingfish on the bucket list, and while I got close, got stuffed with sharks needing the fish more than me!

nzkayaker
VHF Call Sign: NZ Kayaker

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 am

Hey guys,

heres the link to the full report from the weekends action. Let me know if you'd like to put your name down for the next trip.

http://www.nzkayaker.co.nz/Blog/x_post/ ... 00049.html
Attachments
P2200049.jpg
P2200049.jpg (45.88 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Proudly supported by Viking Kayaks, Sharkskin, Kokotat and Lowrance.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

Its a cool place :y:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm

Looks like it was a very cool trip, on my bucket list so hopefully life won't get in the way of the next trip :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Nice one guys. Shame about the fishing, but it happens. I love it at Mayor - never stayed there but keen to one day for sure.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Very cool tr and pics :y:

bigreddog

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:36 am

Awesome trip. Thanks for the story guys. I'd love to do a trip like this. One day

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Great report guys, brought some great memories flooding back. :clap:

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:08 pm

DJ wrote:Great report guys, brought some great memories flooding back. :clap:
Hey mate.....great to see that you're still keeping an eye on us !...Maynbe it's tim to buy a new yak ! :y:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

DJ
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 am

A new Kayak ??? dont tempt me , and yeah still lurking... ;)

• Information