Super Six Visit Cuvier Island.... April 2014

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Well after a lot of planning and couple of false starts due to the weather, the "Super Six" comprising of Kiwiladbrad, Technical, KingFish Killer,Yak Fisha, DJ (who came out of retirement for the event) and myself headed off to Cuvier Island, east of Kennedy Bay on the east coast of Coromandel!

Unfortunately, we were to have been 7, but AWondering was unable to join us at the last moment.

After a trip down to Coro after work on Wed nite we met up at the boat at 8am on Thursday morning to be greeted by Skipper Pete on the Te Wairoa.

A quick load up and away we went...The trip over was pretty uneventful but there was a rolling swell and quite a bit of chop. I normally dont get seasick, but started to feel pretty green.... :puke: :puke:

Got to Cuvier after about 2.5 - 3 hours with a pretty stiff SE (??) blowing and the swell certainly not getting any better.

A quick gear set up, and Technical and I headed south down toward the lighthouse end of Cuvier whilst the others headed north...

It was pretty trying conditions but a few fish were getting caught...

I was trying out my brand spanking new Shimano Stradic Ci4 4000 on my new K-Labs 24T rod......it was working a treat...!

Been on the water a couple of hours when I suddenly the Stradic loads up and line starts peeling away.....quite a battle follows, and it was difficult to gain too much ground as I was always fighting the current and breeze.

Eventually this bad boy pops up !! Caught him on 3/8 jig head with a Squid Vicious in about 30m

Absolutely stoked as I finally join the 20lb + club !!....A weigh on the boat later had it weigh in at 23.5 lb....
P1010220.JPG

A paddle back to the boat to unload the Snap and then I help out the rest of the crew by delivering lunch !
P1010221.JPG
I decided to head back down to the same patch and rejoin Tech, where after a short while, we start seeing Kingie sign all over the place.....Now, my second item on my trip bucket list was a legal kingie...(as I've never caught one !)

So..I drag out the Everol jigging reel and start to thrash the water and wind like crazy...I reckon I looked like a frog in a blender..ams and legs all over the place....Next minute whack, the rod bends double and I nearly tip out...If I thought the Snap battle was tough, well this was bad..really bad !!.... Tech came over to give me some encouragement and some sage advise...after about 20 mins he (Tech ! :lol: ) got bored and he paddled off to carry on fishing.....after about 30 mins I guess up pops this !

Couldnt believe it.....Tech came back over and gave me a hand to get it on board, and back to the mothership I go .... Weighed in at 33lb !! Not bad for a first Kingie !
P1010229.JPG
The rest of the guys had a reasonable day with a few fish caught and YakFisha landing his PB snap..wel done mate ! :y:

A few more pics followed and we settle in for a few cold bevvies and some dinner...

We decided to stay in the same area and fish the same spots the following day....

Friday morning the breeze was still up and it was pretty uncomfortable...a few of us headed south again, but the wind was up as was the chop...dont think I have ever taken so much water in over the side of the yak, and I came close to tipping out more than once !

Mid morning we all moved a bit further north and Skipper Pete repositioned the boat in a flatter patch of water...fishing was tough though and I didnt land much worth talking about......again heaps of Kingie sign but they wouldn't touch a jig...

I decided to pul the pin around 2pm ish and head back to the boat for some lunch.....Tech, YakFisha and I then started to catch some livies.....Tech started to fish off the boat for kingies with livies...After about an hour I decided to give it a go from the yak.....First time for everything..what could go wrong ! |( |(

So away I go...get the livie out under a ballon on a set up I made about 3 years ago and never used.....nothing much is happening so I start flicking the soft bait on the Stradic around....lob out a cast....the jighead hits the bottom and then the livie gets hit....I wait a few seconds then strike....the rod bends double under the yak and I'm going backwards at 5.8 kph !..Not a nice feeling...I then realise I have to get the SB rig in so I'm trying to wind that in whilst its in the rod holder and trying to keep the submarine I've hooked under control....! :sweat: :sweat:

I eventually get the SB rig back to within around 10m from the yak when it gets smashed, the rod goes backwards (the line by this stage is ehind me), snaps at the base, the rod leash slides off what remains of the butt, and the remains of the rod, and the Stradic whips past my face, goes over my left shoulder and into the deep blue yonder.......GUTTED ! :swear: :doh: :swear: :doh:

So now I HAVE to land this fish.....I eventually get it up and its bigger than the last Kingie !!

I was that buggered and struggling to get it under control that I had to call up KK for some help....turned into a double gaff effort and a bit of heaving and struggling (from me anyway ! :lol: :lol: )
P1010247.JPG
On the boat she weighed in at 38 lbs...wrapped to get the fish... :swear: off that I lost a new reel / rod !

So that was pretty much my trip !!

A few cold ones last night..talked a lot of shite and generally had a great time....

Did some sightseeing on the way back and generally relaxed....

Interestingly enough the Snap on dry land still weighed in a 23.5lb so I'm guessing it closer to 25lb when landed...(pretty hard to get an accurate measure when the boat is going up and down !!)

Thanks for a great trip lads and heres to the next one !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:26 pm

WOW Hainesy sounds like a fantastic trip bugger I couldn't make it this time! Congrats on the PBs :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Bloody awesome Hainesy. Smashed 'em bro. You little beauty. Sorry about the stradic set tho. You're a legend like KK now.

GreenMamba
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Great report and well done on some awesome fish. Sounds well worth a visit one day!

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:38 pm

wowsers :rock:

nickhoggard
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.1

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Wow sounds like it was a great trip - bugger about the lost gear but those were some awesome fish!

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Only a marlin would top that... aye lads ;)

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Well done and well deserved Hainesy :y:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Hainesy

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:58 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:Only a marlin would top that... aye lads ;)
Yepp...only a Marlin ;)

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm

The gossip channels are working hard out...... What's the story?
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

GHOST RIDER
Kayak Model: 525

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

bloody awesome and well done on the P/Bs
Stealth 525
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark

Hainesy

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:The gossip channels are working hard out...... What's the story?
Not for me to say ! :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:16 pm

It was a great trip alright with some awesome fish getting caught or at least hooked up !
Hainesy did really well with 3 cracker fish and great to see him lose his Kingfish and 20lb snap virginity :y:
Fishing for me was fairly stock standard with some good fish caught but nothing like Hainsies effort .

My highlight was something ill never forget and an absolute amazing experience . :!:
I was livebaiting with a really big Koheru ( Kingfish candy ) when I decided to head back with the livebait still out the back . The clicker sounds off so thinking ive been hit by a King I wait a few seconds then put the pressure on . At this stage the reel just absolutely screams and braid is disappearing in an alarming fashion ! Im starting to think ive got another 37kg Kingfish when this huge Marlin jumps out of the water shaking its head !!!!!
I seriously couldn't believe my eyes ...... so now im screaming and yahooing and enjoying the moment !
I couldn't get the yak pointing in the same direction as the Marlin so this fish is screaming away and pulling my yak SIDEWAYS along the sea ! :sweat: I try and palm the spool to slow this fish down but the braid cuts my hand as it was fear peeling off the spool , so i tighten the drag up a little then the Marlin jumps out of the water again shaking its head and doing its thing !!!! Bloody awesome sight !!!! 20 seconds later and the 100lb trace rubs off on the Marlins bill and its all over !
Its definitely in the top two experiences ive had on the yak ! :rock:

Thanks to all the lads that came along and made it a great few days !!!! :y:
Last edited by Kingfish killer on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Wow that's awesome , well done on yr pb's and welcome to the 20lb club, bugger about the rod and reel but I bet the trip makes up for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletcher
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 pm

AWESOME :envy:
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Awesome job, congrats.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:44 pm

AWESOME KK :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:It was a great trip alright with some awesome fish getting caught or at least hooked up !
Hainesy did really well with 3 cracker fish and great to him lose his Kingfish and 20lb snap virginity :y:
Fishing for me was fairly stock standard with some good fish caught but nothing like Hainsies effort .

My highlight was something ill never forget and an absolute amazing experience . :!:
I was livebaiting with a really big Koheru ( Kingfish candy ) when I decided to head back with the livebait still out the back . The clicker sounds off so thinking ive been hit by a King I wait a few seconds then put the pressure on . At this stage the reel just absolutely screams and braid is disappearing in an alarming fashion ! Im starting to think ive got another 37kg Kingfish when this huge Marlin jumps out of the water shaking its head !!!!!
I seriously couldn't believe my eyes ...... so now im screaming and yahooing and enjoying the moment !
I couldn't get the yak pointing in the same direction as the Marlin so this fish is screaming away and pulling my yak SIDEWAYS along the sea ! :sweat: I try and palm the spool to slow this fish down but the braid cut hand as it was fear peeling off the spool , so i tighten the drag up a little then the Marlin jumps out of the water again shaking its head and doing its thing !!!! Bloody awesome sight !!!! 20 seconds later and the 100lb trace rubs off on the Marlins bill and its all over !
It definitely in the top two experiences ive had on the yak ! :rock:

Thanks to all the lads that came along and made it a great few days !!!! :y:
flippin heck! :rock: :rock: :rock:

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 am

Great trip. Well done guys. Congrats on the PB's :clap:
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:20 am

Well done team ,what an experience,not to be forgotten in a hurry,cracker fish their Steve :y: :y: :y:

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

• Information