Three great days Far North

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

I'm supposed to be working and solving a long list of problems. But it's Friday and I thought 'stuff it' I would write a quick TR instead....waaay more enjoyable.

We went up to Tauranga Bay Camp Ground, far north, for QB weekend which is a particularly fond spot for me with so many great fishing options available and the camp site itself is fantastic, particularly the log cabins. In my opinion Tauranga Bay is much better than nearby Matauri Bay, (for multiple reasons), which is another popular destination amongst the kayak fishing fraternity. The only big downside of TB is that it can get a big dumping wave on to a steep beach which means you really need to get your timing right especially when coming back in or risk getting deposited hard.

Over many visits I have found that working the coast line doing shallow water soft baiting has been consistently exciting and this particular weekend did not disappoint. I managed to get out for three missions with each of them produced big snapper...all of which were returned to live another day including one I will claim as a 20 pounder...i had no scale but it did go at least 80cm and I couldn't get my paw all the way around the tail...which is a great indicator. In the end i kept 10 hearty snapper up to around 10lb, which is a lot for our household, but after sharing with friends, family and neighbours we were left with just enough for some great meals...hard to beat truly fresh snapper...food of the Gods in my opinion.

Regarding tackle used;

As you will see from a couple of pics my Kaveman Tackle jig head got absolutely annihilated by multiple big snapper 'attacks' but both the double strength BKK hook and the Kaveman clip remained in 'show room' condition....quality products which I can highly recommend. Without the clip I reckon I would have lost a number of big snapper with the leader being chomped off.

I only used one type of soft bait the entire weekend....a 5" Zman "The Deal" jerk shad which got hit over and over again....eventually the 1st softbait (out of two) got ripped in half but only after it had caught me probably 20 nice sized snapper. I had never used this particular soft bait before and it was a great substitute for my Gulp Sapphire Shine jerk shad which is right up there as a soft bait that always delivers for me

The rod and reel was - The Assassin Infinity 7' one piece rated 10lb -20lb - its got some serious pulling power and the short butt section is fantastic. This was paired to my Slammer 2500 with the drag wound up pretty close to max to minimise getting reefed...i only got reefed once by a big red and that was because i was 'asleep at the wheel' when the soft bait got hit....only takes 2 seconds to lose a big one into the reef in skinny water. Braid was PE2 with a 25lb leader

Looking forward to getting up there again in the near future
Attachments
Tauranga Bay - Big snap 2 resized.JPG
Tauranga Bay - Big snap 2 resized.JPG (24.36 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Big snap 2 resized.jpg
Big snap 2 resized.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Big snap 1 - resized.jpg
Big snap 1 - resized.jpg (66.27 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Mauled jig head 1 - resized.jpg
Mauled jig head 1 - resized.jpg (50.23 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Mauled jig head 2 - resized.jpg
Mauled jig head 2 - resized.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 120 times
TB sunset - resized.jpg
TB sunset - resized.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Bag of snapper resized.jpg
Bag of snapper resized.jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Bin of snapper - resized.jpg
Bin of snapper - resized.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Tauranga Bay - Big snap 1 - resized.JPG
Tauranga Bay - Big snap 1 - resized.JPG (29.76 KiB) Viewed 120 times
TB on our way - resized.jpg
TB on our way - resized.jpg (60.05 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Thank you for the excellent report and photos.

Great to see that fish are still there.

Subsequent to my car being stolen and getting a new one, I've resolved to not put a yak on top, anymore and I have a trailer I'm fettling at present.

As soon as the weather is back to normal, I'll be out there with bells on.

Again, thanks for the report, it's given me back the enthusiasm, that I thought might be waning.
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Rabbit

Pleasure Marc. I sometimes hesitate to post a TR as it can so often come across as 'Biggus Dickus" but I do enjoy writing them. I suppose I should think of getting a GoPro thing but then I think its just another bloody thing i'll either break or lose :D
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Rabbit wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:12 pm ...come across as 'Biggus Dickus" but I do enjoy writing them. .
I imagine, that if you aren't ranking as high as any in Rome, people will be only envious. of your fish :)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Nemesis
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 15

That is a truly inspiring TR. Thanks for all the detail on tackle too!
Is the Kaveman Jighead built on a BKK hook, or is it an elevator type head?
With a change in jobs recently I suddenly have access to some new hooks leader and line, and have been thinking of going back to an elevator set up if I can find light heads.
You're aware that while it affords one the momentary illusion of satisfaction, the spewing of bile is never a permanent solution.
Rabbit

Just a conventional soft bait jig head from - https://kavemantackle.co.nz/ - He uses genuine double strength BKK hooks. As mentioned I can recommend the clips as well...i've never had a jig head or lure come off and its saved my leader getting bitten through by a big red on many an occasion.

Can't wait to get out for another fish.....but this endless wind is so frustrating. Feels like its been blowing non stop for about 6 months with a couple of calm days here and there