Timing is important on a kayak

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

A happy morning on the water last Wednesday, but by God there were a lot of cockups and frustrations.

Set the alarm for 4am, turned the light out at 10pm after a super stiff vodka. Slept like a log till 1.30am and after that I inspected every square inch of the ceiling. On the road at 4.15 and arrived at Matheson at 5am as planned together with the rest of the Stealth Tribe. In the initial glow of 1st light combined with the noise of a loud sea it was clear that conditions were going to be challenging with a scary sized wave coming over the reef. We picked a launch spot that we felt was the easiest...it was just a question of timing it right....something I am not at all good at. My 1st attempt was a complete bloody shambles....got hit by a beach dumper whilst standing ready to jump on and get paddling. The Black Mamba slewed to the right and tipped over ....two rods and reels into the drink and thoroughly 'washed' in the sand....beautiful....just the start I wanted. Probably a $150 reel servicing bill. Should have stowed everything in the hull....lesson learnt. Got going smoothly on the 2nd attempt and did a wide circuitous paddle around the reef to avoid the crashing reef wave. And then it was livie catching time which proved to be pretty easy and I soon had 12 in the well in front of me.

Thought it was important to do a radio check before launching a livie. Turned it on and it immediately started emitting a loud and continuous electronic whine to announce that it was stuffed ...fantastic........another $200 to replace. It is however only 4 months old so it is now in for a warranty claim.

Tossed out a livie on the sand filled Torium....the grinding sound as the line spooled out was bloody hard to listen to, like finger nails going down a black board, and the drag was all wonky. But it wasn't too long before the clicker started going off. Fish on! Pulled up a hearty 57cm snapper....i'm 'on the board and feeling a little less grumpy.

After a couple of laps of the reef without any action I decided to head across to Ti Point where I found better fortune and a small king just over legal at 77cm...primary objective achieved.

And then my line gets jammed in the rudder, super frustrating. By now i'm somewhat 'over it' and decide 'sod it i'll sort it out when I get back to the beach' but in effect i'm still trailing a livie 10m behind me. I grab the 2nd kingie set and toss out another livie on the right hand side. Twenty minutes later the 'ruddered' livie on the left side gets swallowed by what felt like a big king and the line becomes unjammed and starts screaming off. And then the one on the right gets hit by an equally big king ten second later and its 'all on'. Mayhem ensues as the lines get tangled with one wrapped around my ankle and it feels like it is getting a 3rd degree burn as the line continues to peel out with an angry kingfish on the other end. Bloody carnage as lines get entwined and i'm desperately trying to get out of my ankle tangle. Long story short both kings have more than enough time to make it into the reef and despite arm shaking pressure and slipping drag I cannot budge them and the end result is a double bust off.

After a few more laps of Ti Point and a rat king it was time to head back to the beach and hope for a safe landing.

With some directional guidance from one of the guys already on the beach I came in at a great angle (he even cleared the beach of swimmers in anticipation for my impending show.) I timed my run in perfectly........for a dramatic landing. Like my shoulder dislocating Army Bay experience in August I caught a cracker of a dumper right on the beach. The back of the kayak lifted high into the air and the nose buried itself firmly into the sand and up I went in sheer terror expecting to be pitch poled onto the beach. But this time the Gods were kind to me and somehow I avoided an Oscar winning performance with the biggest damage being a bruised ego. But I did get a standing ovation
Two fush.jpg
All in all a fun morning, but by God it had its moments
AndrewRawlingson

Good report and love the arty photo. Must admit, I had a chuckle reading it! I can go years without breaking any gear. On Monday, I had a reel totally loose the plot on me just as Mr Kingfish grabs the softbait with a predictable consequence and in a separate incident, broke a rod. The reel was not my fault, the rod was totally my fault ;(
Rabbit

Cheers Andrew. Glad you found it humorous, that was my intention. I think we all have 'those days' on the water from time to time, just one cock up after another which so often involves money. Its easy to get frustrated and embarrassed and not tell anyone that you 'blew' a beach landing but most of us have 'been there-done that'. Got the two sand washed reels back from WG Reel Services today - $124.20 to sort them out including some new bearings so they feel mint now. And H&F North Shore called me yesterday to say that my hand held VHF is being replaced free of charge by the supplier, so that's good news. I had another shocker on a mates boat at the Mokes on Saturday involving a reel failure I spoilt myself by ordering a Siegler SGN reel out of the USA, which is surprisingly well priced....can't wait to get my hands on it!
AndrewRawlingson

Great result on the VHF, which brand?
Rabbit

Yeah it was replaced at no cost after they examined it. Uniden Atlantis 270
AndrewRawlingson

:y: :y: :y:
kingiFiddler
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

AndrewRawlingson wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:02 pm Good report and love the arty photo. Must admit, I had a chuckle reading it! I can go years without breaking any gear. On Monday, I had a reel totally loose the plot on me just as Mr Kingfish grabs the softbait with a predictable consequence and in a separate incident, broke a rod. The reel was not my fault, the rod was totally my fault ;(
What reel Andrew, and did you work out what the issue was? ta.
AndrewRawlingson

Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500FA. The washer spring had somehow dislodged and completely jammed the drag.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

Thanks. Kings on those size reels are a blast - always seemed a lottery if I was gonna run out of runway until after the first few runs. Did you work out how that retainer jammed things up? Did it jam the spool or the adjustment dial? Do any damage? I've occasionally used reels without the retainers without any problems.
AndrewRawlingson

Yeah, I catch more kingfish on my light snapper setup than my kingfish gear which is a bit annoying, but can be lots of fun. Since I generally fish over sand, it normally ends well as long as I take my time. If I'm near rocks or reef, it's normally over quite quickly ;(

Not quite sure what happened with the retainer, but the spool locked up solid. My 7 year old son was holding the rod and it got pulled out his hands. I literally caught it in mid-air 8)

No damage to the spool as far as I can see. I've removed the retainer now and can't see that it makes any difference in performance.