So good to be on the kayak again

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

After dislocating my shoulder in a kayaking accident, combined with the C19 restrictions, I had not been able to go for a proper paddle and fish in over two months but Tuesdays weather looked too good to miss so I put in for a Mental Health day. In addition Tuesday was the last day before the Auckland fizz boats and roaring jet ski's were let lose so I really wanted to experience a day of quiet on the water.

I launched from Army Bay at 6am with the target being Tiritiri Island ,which I reckoned had probably been untouched for well over a month. Conditions were super smooth and the Stealth flew over the water with big easy paddle strokes that were not causing my shoulder any grief. I stopped brieflly at the end of Whangaparoa just to test the casting arm out before crossing the channel, and managed to pick up a perfectly sized KY livebait which I dropped into the built in livebait well in front of me.

In just over an hour from launching I was at Tiri and deployed the KY behind me and started trolling slowly around stopping every few minutes to fling out the softbait, a 13cm Pearlised Gulp Swimming Mullet. It got constant attention and I reeled in and released a few in the 35cm range but was hoping for something in the bigger pannie category.

About 20 minutes later the clicker on the kingie set started singing furiously in soprano. Sometimes you immediately know if its a genuine big king - the length of the run, the pitch of the clicker, the speed of the tow and the added bend and pressure coming through the rod. Up went the drag and over went the rod and it was on for around 30 seconds and then the hook straightened and snapped. My own lazy fault. I had seen a spot of rust on the hook beforehand and was too bloody lazy to change it , for which I paid the price. Wont make that bloody error in judgement again.

Long story short ,two hours later I had a full quota of very nicely conditioned snaps in the 45cm to 55cm range which were allocated across four households. Certainly nothing exceptional from a size perspective but a bloody good feed non the less.

It was wonderful to be able to take a leisurely one hour conditioning paddle back to Army Bay under my own steam and capabilities without too much discomfort in the shoulder and knowing that its repaired enough to take on the mighty kings as they increasingly move into the inshore over the next month or so
7 off Tiri.jpg
7 off Tiri.jpg
7 off Tiri.jpg
Attachments
Bent hook.jpg
Bent hook.jpg (306.98 KiB) Viewed 67 times
The Beast.jpg
Last edited by Rabbit on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Onya Rob.
Bet that felt so good to be on the water again.
Had Monday morning lined up but all plans are off now :-(

Ryan's got a fisha for me but that too has to wait for lockdown to pass.
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

Cheers!

Did you know Ryan is selling off the last of the Fusion 480's with built in live well for $2,250. You won't find a better package at the price point. Brilliant deal.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

No i didn't. that's a great deal. If it was to be plastic and I had to use a trolley, it would have been a fusion. But, frankly, 30+kgs is more than I want to be lifting onto the roof racks.