Akl harbour 12/1/20

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Well it's been a while and I've lowered the seat 7cm in my 'yak to make it less tippy with a lower centre of gravity.

I spent a month tiki touring around the Southern Island, sans Kayak. But I did get two Eels and a Stoat.

So not having been on the water for a while, it was interesting to take a trip out, in the early afternoon in the full sun, as a sort of sea trial in the new seat.

I ended up anchoring off an abandoned Tug just west of Kauri point. Caught plenty of 15cm baby snapper, no keepers.

I've discovered two things:

1/. My 'yak is tippy by design. Sitting motionless at anchor, any gust of wind ~approx. 12 knots, from abeam would produce a noticeable tippy sensation. Fortunately the lower centre of gravity due to the lower seat, made it just a sensation and not a problem.

2/. I can do 3.4 knots into a ~12 knot head wind and 4.5 knots in no wind. According to Mr Garmin.

Waiting for tide and winds to coincide with an early morning.

I had thought about heading out, to watch the America's Cup boats tomorrow, but my luck would get me sliced in half.

:)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Snap 4T
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Have you try take the seat out and use back rest instead.
Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Yes I have been considering it, I initially went for a raised seat in my first kayak, because of the prospect of sitting in a puddle, for extended periods when out all day.

I've only used this new kayak and seat, 6 or 7 times and I'll give it another 6 months, but then winter will be here and I'll be using my new wet suit, so a flat seat may be the answer after all :)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish
Snap 4T
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Meant to take my kids for kayaking/swimming (Birkenhead) today but urgent jobs called,
and here i am replying email while posting.