Whangaparaoa 14/04

Go on then, tell us your stories...
TBreezy

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Been hanging out to get out there all week with mint weather. This time the window was this morning with an early gap in the wind.

Launched from Tindalls with the intention to stay out of the forecasted southerly and fish the area between there and Army bay. There’s anchovies galore being pushed into that area too so had my fingers crossed.

Took the Kingie setup and a softbait rod loaded with a small paddle tail. Picked up a few macs in the bay and popped one on the big boye. Trolled him out to about 10m and began a drift with the mac out one side and flicking softies out front.

Didn’t take long for the terns to congregate and signal a bust up about 100 metres behind me. Of course, I headed on over and popped a cast in the vicinity. Straight away into a decent kahawai. I’ll say it again. I LOVE these fish. The mac-daddy remained safe for now but I picked up another kahawai before deciding to continue the drift toward army bay.

Pretty slow going, a little tap on the mac-doggie but no take. I brought it up and tapped it out for a freshie. Saw a lurker follow it up but looked suspiciously kahawai like.

Ended up past coal mine bay at a little foul. Snagged a small snapper. Livie started moving so tightened up on that bad boy. Into another kahawai. I think it was my last livie at this point. The bust ups were everywhere it was pretty cool.

Wind was getting up and coming from an unforecasted direction, so decided to mosey on back. Threw out a little bibbed rapala to troll in hope of picking up another kahawai for live bait. Two minutes later the little daiwa 2500 is peeling! Another good kahawai? Couple of epic runs and maybe a small kingie? Up popped a decent snapper later weighing in at 9lb. Nice. Busted the hook off the lure too. I’d just spooled the reel with fresh 6lb braid so pretty stoked.

Decided to head back for real because it wouldn’t fit in my pannie sized esky. Of course, still down for a scrap with a king, I trolled the softbait hoping for a kahawai. At some point I paused for something and as the softbait sank another snapper picked it up. OK GOING HOME NOW. HAVE ENOUGH FOOD.

Paddled back around the corner to even MORE bust ups. Anchovies everywhere and kahawai hot on their tails. Not often I’ll paddle through a bust up and just keep going. Cool to see the action all around you though.

Great morning out. Bibbed lures really do work. Mac-daddy for scale
9419FA7A-C6B8-4D6D-8F18-9C5EE8793FAD.jpeg
192884B0-8F06-4A10-94CD-2619BDCAE01F.jpeg

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 am

Good stuff.

Never had any luck with towing lures, maybe I paddle too slow :0

TBreezy

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:58 am

DocProfit wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 am
Good stuff.

Never had any luck with towing lures, maybe I paddle too slow :0
Thanks, man.

If there's kahawai around, they'll always have a swipe. Picked up a fair few that way going from A to B over the years. Either bibbed or just the softbait you are using. I've had pretty inconsistent results on snapper though. I put it down to there being a stupid amount of baitfish in the area at this time, so they are feeding on them and on the hunt. Could be a time of year thing?

Interestingly, after I caught that fish and before I switched the bibbed lure out for a softbait, it got hit another couple of times on the paddle back, but because the front hook was gone, they failed to hook up. Would have been interesting to see what kind of fish they were.

I'm definitely not a fast paddler and my kayak isn't made for speed, so I reckon just give it a whirl. Some days they remain untouched, but something will connect eventually. Might as well be fishing while you're paddling.

DocProfit

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm

I had several Rapalas but sold them due to no luck.

I often took them out and forgot to put over the side when I paddled out :(

Hitting NN in the morning. :rock:

Going to try a different style slider from Daiwa and a Catch jitterbug.

Weather looks awesome all week, might have to do a double mission :)

TBreezy

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm

One of those Dr. Evil lures could be worth a nudge at NN. There’s a bit of depth there once you get out a bit.

Cool man, have a good one! I’m sure you’ll do well as usual!

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm

9lb fish is a goodie, especially on that 2500 reel
Might have to give this trolling thing a go
Like you say, may as well be fishing while you're paddling :y:

TBreezy

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Man, it really had the reel going eh :D

It was one of those situations where fishing from a kayak really comes into its own, and you can use the kayak to play the fish. There's no doubt if I was at anchor I would've been busted off trying to drag it to me, rather than have it tow me and being able to get above it.

DocProfit

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Got 7 eater's, no monsters.

Thought I'd try trolling that new Catch White Warrior beta bug on the way in.

Caught a nice KY within seconds :)
Attachments
ky1.jpg
ky1.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 494 times

TBreezy

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Ha! Nicely done! That’s a big boye too!

Cool that you were trolling an inchiku. Might as well give kaburas and whatever else a go. A banana I reckon. It can’t fail :D

• Information