Port Jackson - 30/9 - 6/10

Go on then, tell us your stories...
TC NZ
Kayak Make: Viking, OK
Kayak Model: Reload & 4.3 Ultra & Espri

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Spent last week up at Port Jackson on our now 5th Annual Boys Fishing Trip. We got really lucky with the weather up there. It was close to perfect. Had a couple windy days but overall nothing unmanageable and we were on the water every day. Plenty of snapper all around, with the best coming in at 75cm, 15lbs. Most caught on SBs and very close in but best caught with tide running at the points.

Had kingis chasing live baits and even SBs all week with a few takers but no hook up until literally the last minute of the last day!

I had set an alarm for slack tide so we could easily get around the point (wind was up too so didn't want to contend with both the wind & what was a very strong tide around that point). Just as the alarm goes off I see one of my sons getting towed off the point toward Great Barrier Island. My live bait was just taken just a few minutes prior too but almost immediately busted off in the rocks. So with him on the sleigh ride, me and my other son followed along. Was a good 20 minutes before we saw it was a good kingfish. Whew! Thought it might have been a shark. We wrestled it on board and it came in at 99cm and 27lbs! Not bad! He even managed to get it out of the weeds twice without losing it. Needless to say he was really stoked to have got that, especially after a week of frustrating near misses.

And Port Jackson -- wow - what a great place. I've been to nearby Goat Bay a few times but never over the hill. I'd definitely go back. Absolutely magic place. And plenty of options if the weather doesn't cooperate. We stayed in Port Jackson the whole week, but you could go over again to Fletcher Bay or back around to Goat Bay, depending on the wind. Actually paddling around to goat bay isn't all too far either.
IMG_E3608.JPG
IMG_E3631.JPG
IMG_E3493.JPG

46John
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Nice fish and TR. There are some great spots on the Coro...

SitDown
Kayak Make: paddle power

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 am

Fantastic TR there mate, noice kingi too

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:48 am

Epic TR :y:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Great trip report and couple of real nice fish . Your son must be over the moon . :y:

Bear Jules
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: -

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am

Great TR and sounds like an epic trip. Nice to be able to enjoy the time with your son's. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

• Information