Orere Point 28July2018

Go on then, tell us your stories...
codmaster
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Quick trip report.

Had the boys soccer games on Saturday morning and decided that Neho and I would meet up at Orere Point after Midday. The wind was predicted to be 13knot westerlies. Launch at about 1pm and saw another yakker on his PDL just come in and stuggled to get his PDL over the ledge of pebbles at the beach. I helped him get his Yak onto solid ground and he said fishing was hard and he caught a couple towards the left just past the 1st point.

I got my gear and yak prepped and off I went. Into a head wind to the West tugging along slowly, but surely. Happened to see a couple of surf casters burleying up so I planted myself about 100m out from the trail. Picked up my first 2 snaps and the wind and swell cleared up. In the distance I saw birds diving and hovering around a big work up, but the closer I got the further they seems to move. I settled for what I could see underneath the kayak on my fish finder which was some good sign. I dropped my softbaits and picked up another 3 Snaps. I spent the next hour chasing these birds and managed my quota of snapper.

I headed closer to shore and started cleaning my fish on the yak. Then I heard Neho on the radio work up close to shore. I quickly cleaned off my snapper and headed in for a chance to catch some kahawai. 400m from shore nothing, 300m nothing, within 50-100m from shore every cast that went out got smashed. Cast and just start retrieve quickly was the go and bang, bang, bang. 13 Kahawai later and the fact that the sun had set over the mountains it was time to head in and call it a day. Just managed to get to shore before it went pitch black. Lucky the locals had a bomb fire and the help of the car lights I was able to see. Till next time.
PB's
Snapper 78cm - Waikato Bay
JD 43cm - Rawhiti
KY 54cm - Orere Point
Blue cod 38cm - Little bay

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Nice day out! well done
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information