Epicskwid's Northland Classic 2017

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 pm

This year i have been attending more kayak competitions, Me and dad decided it was time to make our first massive trip to Northland to have our first go at yak fishing the area. Driving for 9-10 hours from hawkes bay is tough That is a total of 570km 1 way. Arriving Thursday Afternoon we got set up at the local Whangarei top 10 holiday park. Friday was the sign up day and i got to meet lots of the Northland yak fishos who i have talked to on here. Bloody cool catching up with all the guys.
IMG_0729.jpg
Moving onto the forecast...
A huge front was pushing its way across Northland Saturday bringing a forecast 35-40 knot Southerly and SE Swells of up to 4m. Not what you want to see. Research had to be done to find protection from mother nature and I Found a spot (From some local knowledge at the Whangarei Top Catch) Just south of Whangaruru; Helena Bay. This was the spot for both days fishing.

Day 1
------------
Getting up fairly late for a 9am launch we drove along the coast looking at the mostly terrible swell conditions, arriving at Teal Bay, The Naki guys were on the water already in a pumping swell we decided against this and continued up a gravel road to Mimiwhangata Bay. A new friend Nick who had driven from wellington joined me for both days. We found a sheltered corner from the swell (Keep in mind it was still 1m pushing in) And headed out.
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.40.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.40.13 PM.png
In this Particular area there is a designated Marine Park with some strict rules. 1 Hook only and unweighted baits, So no softbaiting, jigs or lead! Conditions were good considering the forecast , it was still blowing 25+ knots but the bay protected us from the worst of it. Anchor, Berley hard and strayline was the plan and the fish found me real quick, They were pretty much all wee snapper, but as they were picking up and dropping the baits a better run came and a good trevally fought hard before going into the net, it fought like a demon only being 37cm i was expecting a fish more like 45cm. No worries that went into the back,
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.36.13 PM.png
PB110006.JPG
now the hard yards came into play. I was having plenty of success on smaller fish but could not find any snapper of size. We moved around pumping tons of berley out hoping to bring a moocher onto the bait, but it wasn't to be. We gave up at 12 with the wind building. Looking at the tutukaka coast on the way back to Whangarei it was whitewater , huge swells were coming in from the east .

Day 2
----------------
A huge final effort for sunday up at 4.30 am and launching before 7am at teal bay,
IMG_0754.jpg
great conditions but still blowing out wide so we had to stay in the shelter of helena bay. Pumping berley throughout most of the bay in a range of different spots produced Snapper , Trevally and Kahawai. the only problem is they were all miniscule! The best fish of the day was another trevally which was a little smaller than the previous one. Just couldn't put together a large one, we gave up at 12 as the bite had gone off and the rain was coming.
IMG_0775.jpg
Defeat..
The Best part of the event was at the Tiki Tavern where the weigh in was held. I was one of the first to weigh my fish in. from 1pm till 3 i had great fun seeing all the big snapper
IMG_0572.jpg
, some kingfish and kahawai come through the gate. But my Trevally was holding down first place. As expected a heavier trev came through and i took home second place which was a big surprise, Thank you to the organisers at Viking Kayaks and all the sponsors for making it a great event.
IMG_0783.jpg
2nd Prize trev
Super cool to meet all the professional snapper slayers from up north.
I'll be back for sure in the future to hopefully get one of your northland pannies :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 8.42.26 PM.png
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm

nice report, cool photos as usual. :clap:
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

Mitch65
Kayak Model: Espri Angler

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 am

Awesome report and great photos.
Viking Espri Angler

baitless
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: ProFisha 525
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 am

Great report mate and congratulations on the prizes :y: :clap:

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks for the trip report. great read and pics.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Great stuff !... fantastic TR
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:29 am

Great post. Great effort to you and your dad. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:54 am

Big effort and a serious road trip, a shame you didn't get to meet the Doubtless Trevs
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Achilles
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Epicskwid, you are an inspiration mate. Great to see a young fella hitting it hard. Good on ya for posting the report even though the fish in bin didn't quite match the massive effort you put in. Solid!!!
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Cheers for all the kind comments guys,
Was hard fishing for the amount of time spent.

Cheers there Archilles. The trip was well worth documenting for the sheer amount of travel and story we had to go along with it, so great finally meeting the northland yakkers. i've got a long way to go as my goals are to be up with the front runners of kayak fishing in New Zealand i'm sure you know who they are. All i can do is put the hours in learn, experience and have some fun while doing it. Then maybe my Big snapper and kingies will come :y:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

• Information